Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #1

Help Me Please - Interior Repair

Well, the 28TRW is in my parking place at home and as we were personalizing the interior, we discovered an issue.

The previous owner had place some diamond square plating as a back splash behind the stove - below the microwave. My wife did not like that look - and I complied. That is when I discovered some previous water damage. I presume the damage was a result of water getting into the exhaust vent some how.

So, any feedback on how difficult interior repair is? I would suspect others would have had to do some of this in their experience. I would like to hope it is only as difficult as a similar issue in my own home. The similarities would be the wood structure and 'paneling'. But if I find water damage; hoping that the wood frame is not harmed - wondering how someone would replace the insulation. I am hoping to find ways to remove the microwave and hood and validate things are not damaged behind them. The only good news I have found so far is that the wall above the vent is not damaged.

Am I making more of this than I should?
I am looking forward to hearing of your successes - and any difficulties.

Should this be farmed out to a professional? An RV Dealer? And Excel RV Dealer? Or a home pro handyman.

Thanks all.
touringmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Could you post some pictures?

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #3

Pictures. tomorrow

Thanks for the willingness to inspect.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:47 AM   #4

A picture says a thousand words...so they would be great. I repaired at least 4 areas on my prior 2001 Excel and had one that we decided to live with because of the location and what was involved in repairing it. Each repair was different and sure yours will be also. The condition of your wood wall studs and the backing panel on the exterior fiberglass will be the key to the degree of damage.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:15 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
Could you post some pictures?
Let us also see the exterior vent area you are referring to.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #6

here are some quick photos

see if this helps show the damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130415_184055.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	36990   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130415_184217.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	36991  

Old 04-15-2013, 08:02 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
I guess the vent is for the microwave?? If it were me I would proceed as follows. Turn off the 120 volt and water. Take out the microwave and cut out the paneling behind the microwave all the way down to the counter top (a stud finder might help you cut it out in pieces). The paneling is garbage anyway. I would use a box cutter with the blade set on about 1/8" and cut carefully. This will give you a view as to what is inside the wall. If it is bad post pictures for us and go to Plan B (not yet determined). From what I can see it may not be all that bad, at least I hope not.
If it is not bad, try to determine the cause of the moisture. If it is the vent, can you eliminate it and still run the microwave?
After solving the moisture problem you can come back with 1/8" plywood, put the microwave back and dress up the visible area above the range with backsplash material from Home Depot or Lowe's.
This guy ,Workshop, on this site reports that he has done a lot of this type of stuff to his rig and I would certainly defer to his opinion.
These are my thoughts and may or may not be the best solution. Hopefully you will get several opinions.

Good luck
Old 04-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Gary, the external vent like that on my last two trailers was for the Vent-a-Hood over the stove.

I agree, remove the microwave and cut out the damaged luan paneling.

I bet the water entered from the outside vent. Remove it and check for surrounding damage. Reinstall and properly seal.

Install a new piece of luan inside for the backsplash. Replace the microwave.

Hopefully, the studs are not rotted and the leak is not from the roof.

If so, plan C.....

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by touringmn View Post
Well, the 28TRW is in my parking place at home and as we were personalizing the interior, we discovered an issue.
Quote:

I presume the damage was a result of water getting into the exhaust vent some how.

But if I find water damage; hoping that the wood frame is not harmed - wondering how someone would replace the insulation. I am hoping to find ways to remove the microwave and hood and validate things are not damaged behind them. The only good news I have found so far is that the wall above the vent is not damaged.

Am I making more of this than I should?
I am looking forward to hearing of your successes - and any difficulties.

Should this be farmed out to a professional? An RV Dealer? And Excel RV Dealer? Or a home pro handyman.

Thanks all.

Looking at photos of your model on the internet...it showed that it had both an 'over the range' microwave or a microwave in a cabinet with a hood/exhaust vent. From your statement I'm assuming that you have the hood/vent.

If the paneling above the vent is good, would have to agree that the vent is the cause of the damage. My prior Excel had a stove hood/vent and the present Alpenlite has a 'over the range' but both used the exterior vent that is on your unit.

Having the visual damage...unless you know it's prior an dry inside...I would remove the exterior vent, look for water damage at the bottom of the vent framing and ensure it is sealed properly when reinstalled. You will notice that the vent 'body' extends into the framing which would place it closer to the inside wall and also allows any moisture to 'drip' closer to the inside wall rather than the outside. It is possible that the only panel damage might be to the inside panel and hopefully not the outside wall with the fiberglass/ply backer.

Looking at the photo you have a framing stud on the right side of the damaged panel at the seal strip and it prevented further damage to the right. Having worked on my interior walls it would be hard to say if the next stud to the left is at 16" or at the corner. The only way to determine the extent of the damage is to open the wall panel and look inside.

Knowing that you have the location of one stud....I would use a razor knife or other cutting tool and cut an opening...maybe one foot square near the stud, center on the wall (up/down) and look inside. Check for....dampness, is the leak current or dry?, the condition of the stud, exterior wall panel, insulation condition and location of stud to the left.

If its still damp you need to pull out more insulation and run a fan in the opening to dry it out....if its dry, inspect the damage. I would determine the extent and determine if the structure of the studs and panel, when combined with the wall area as a 'total' provide strong support for the wall. Unless its more involved than it looks...I would say that it is. Looks to be an insolated/small area of damage.

Once its inspected and you know the condition of the panel, studs etc you can determine the next phase. If not to bad, considering the area...I like the idea of covering the area and installing a new back splash. The only way to know is to open it up.

workhorse
Old 04-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Also need to check behind the stove for damage I'm dealing with that now with a wall.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:19 AM   #11

Thanks for all the feedback

Yes, everyone supposed correctly; yes that is the hood vend that I was showing on the exterior. And no there is no visible damage on the cabinet wall above the hood vent.

And yes, I was reading the manuals provided last evening to learn if I, an all thumbs DIY'er, can remove the stove and inspect that wall. Did not look very friendly based on the installation instructions.

So it appears the conclusion is; yes, repairing the interior walls is exactly like doing this in my own home; except that I am dealing with luan paneling vs. drywall. The only complication is that in a 5er, there are more appliances in the way of these smaller spaces.

Well, I know what I am doing in the next month or so.

Next week we take this unit on our first trip. We will have to look past that defect and simply enjoy what we do have. This will be a great trip as this is about a 5 ft longer unit with more head room for me in the sleeping quarters. So lots more space to move around and enjoy camping.

We are trusting that we do not discover other items. But that is one of the consequences of the "New-to-me" market.

Once I do resolve it; I do hope to post pictures of the After Remodeling of that area.

Again, Thanks all to a great community.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
All water run down hill. I would also be checking the lower wall and floor. That's where the water will eventually settle and where the most distruction could take place.

Good luck and keep us posted
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #13

oops, had not thought that far

I had not considered floor damage also. Gee thanks for the good input.

Yes, I agree. So that will mean yanking the range out of its spot and inspecting. Oh the fun keeps piling up.

That does make sense though.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:49 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
I had not considered floor damage also. Gee thanks for the good input.

Yes, I agree. So that will mean yanking the range out of its spot and inspecting. Oh the fun keeps piling up.

That does make sense though.
If there is no damage I don't think it will be as difficult as you might think. You may need help with the microwave and stove.

Take pictures of the exposed inner wall for us.

Tags
repair