Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #29

Excel Owners Club
If you are going to spend a bunch of moola ($$) upgrading the straps why not just use a chain or2??
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #30

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTwoStep View Post
If you are going to spend a bunch of moola ($$) upgrading the straps why not just use a chain or2??
3/4" and 1" steel square tubes are pretty cheap.

Would work better than chains IMHO.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #31

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Chain may rub a hole if not protected. How about ratchet strap? I have one around my spare tire, ever see one of them fall out from under a fiver?
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #32

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Chain may rub a hole if not protected. How about ratchet strap? I have one around my spare tire, ever see one of them fall out from under a fiver?
I think a ratchet strap would be fine but you would need to make sure the ratchet is has a pad so it does not rub a hole where it touches the tank.

Yes I have seen a tire come out from a Ford pickup back in the 70's. I thought the tire was never going to come back to earth.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #33

Excel Owners Club
There is going to be a belly there with whatever you use.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #34

Guys, we need to step back and think about this. Excel is one of the most expensive 5th's on the market today. You are trying to tell me I need to travel with empty tanks cause they can not be trusted to not crack if I travel with full tanks.

I dry camp some, and there are times I may travel 4-600 miles before I stop where I can dump. To buy a 5th and then to have to re-engineer something as basic as properly installed holding tanks is nuts. Is not like this is new technology and we are having to figure it out.

The Grey tank will have 500lbs of weight in it and it is supported by a couple of light weight straps with a single screw in the end. No wonder they break. Excel builds a hell for tough frame and then cheep out on something as basic as holding tank installation.

Jim
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #35

Excel Owners Club
Looking back on our design change log, we improved our strapping system in August of 2009. It seems this conversation originated with a 2007 model.....

I looked in our warranty history and can't find a 2010 or newer with broken straps. Each tank has two straps running lengthwise and two straps running crosswise.

Unless someone on here shares their story about a 2010 coach or newer, the problem has been resolved.

As for driving 400 - 600 miles with 500lbs of water in your holding tanks, there is not a manufacturer that I'm aware of that recommends doing that. An ABS holding tank has to be able to expand, but they do have limitations.

We promote leaving your black tank approximately 1/3 full (10 - 15 gals) to keep the solids from affixing to the tank.

All RVs, regardless of price, have limitations. Continually trying to push them will usually have less than desirable results... As with all things, common sense prevails.

Bryan
ExcelRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #36

Excel Owners Club
Bryan, thanks for commenting on this subject. I'm curious on a couple of your statements. Regarding the warranty stats on the straps. Are you including "goodwill" warranty data? I doubt that many folks would notice holding tank failures within the first 2 years. Even if the straps break within the warranty period, it usually takes some time for the seams of the tank to get stress and leak fluids.

After strap and tank failure on our first rig (2005)....we became very cautious and careful on our tank levels (emptying before they became plum full) and started traveling with close to empty black and grey tanks.

I, for one, had a 2010 that had a black tank strap break while setting still and the Seelevel gauge read 90%. The unit was about 16 months old. After I heard the loud bang I pulled the inspection plate and saw the lengthwise broken strap. That was right before we traded the unit in. Maybe mine was just a fluke.

Regarding your statement about not traveling with full tanks, I agree, and maybe one should use common sense, but there are many folks out there that are new to RVing. I've looked and looked in the owner's manual and can't find any information indicating that Excel does not recommend traveling with full tanks. This might be something to look at, or tell me where to find it.

Again, I thank you for addressing your position on this matter. Please understand I am not out to "bust your chops", just trying to understand and share my thoughts. Appreciate hearing back from you. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:44 AM   #37

Excel Owners Club
Tom,

Your coach was built in the fall of 2009. I don't remember now but there's a possibility that it took me more than one trip on to the floor to get the change accomplished. There's a good possibility your tank deck was pre-assembled during a slow time when we were building parts ahead and the improvement wasn't made to your unit .... OR .... perhaps we just screwed up!

N~E~Wayz.... this issue appears to have been corrected approximately 3 1/2 years ago.

But maybe not, we'll see!

Bryan
ExcelRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:06 AM   #38

Excel Owners Club
Tom, which strap(s) failed primarily on your 2010?

The external side to side strap(s)?
Or straps under the belly cover fabric?

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 03-06-2013, 07:54 AM   #39

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
Tom, which strap(s) failed primarily on your 2010?

The external side to side strap(s)?
Or straps under the belly cover fabric?
Our unit was built in late 11/09 and it was the black tank lengthwise strap on the left side as you look inside the inspection hole of the belly blanket.

Not the belly blanket strap. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #40

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Our unit was built in late 11/09 and it was the black tank lengthwise strap on the left side as you look inside the inspection hole of the belly blanket.

Not the belly blanket strap. rockin'
Thanks, Tom. I'll keep an eye on it.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 03-06-2013, 09:09 AM   #41

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcelRVGuy View Post
...As for driving 400 - 600 miles with 500lbs of water in your holding tanks, there is not a manufacturer that I'm aware of that recommends doing that. An ABS holding tank has to be able to expand, but they do have limitations....
Bryan, I'm new to Excel, but not to towable RV's.

I had a Sunnybrook Titan for 10 years. I towed it 70K+ miles through all the lower 48 states.

I dumped the black tank when it was 3/4 or more full. Even if that meant a week, or a month or 500 miles towing. I did the same with the trailer I owned prior to the Titan.

I must have been fortunate. I never had an issue with a black tank cracking or failing. That may not have been recommended by the manufacturer, but they did not advise against.

I assumed I could do the same with the Winslow. I heard nothing otherwise in the PDI or owners manual.

I would like to avoid a black tank failure. There will be occasions I have no option than to tow with a nearly full black tank. I am happy to install additional support if that will decrease my odds of failure.

Maybe I'm overly concerned. The problem may have been solved by the current redesign.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 03-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #42

Excel Owners Club
Since one of mine broke in the middle of the night a few weeks back I've fixed that one and added 3 more doubles. No big deal.
Cheap overkill is a good thing.

Tags
tank

« Bedroom TV | Wax »