Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Question Hot water heater

How do you make the water hotter... It is luke-worm.
in a 33rse Excel 2006. New owner.. 10 gal
Joycelene is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joycelene View Post
If you have an outdoor shower in the wet bay, be sure that the faucet is turned off at the knobs. If just turned off at the shower head it will act as a mixing valve and lower your hot water temp.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
firedoc is right......if that's not it.....we need more info. What is the model # of your WH?...maybe GE16EXT...... The model number is right inside the outside door and on the right side. If so, you probably have a mixing valve that is stuck. Has the unit set a while since it was last used. Is your water tank itself very hot to the touch? rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post

firedoc is right......if that's not it.....we need more info. What is the model # of your WH?...maybe GE16EXT...... The model number is right inside the outside door and on the right side. If so, you probably have a mixing valve that is stuck. Has the unit set a while since it was last used. Is your water tank itself very hot to the touch? rockin'
BTW a stuck mixing valve can drastically reduce your water pressure. Don't ask how I know! Symptom is sufficient pressure when first turned on but quickly falls to poor pressure.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
the unit is a Atwood XT water heater
GE-16TE 12/14 2005
Old 08-04-2013, 07:51 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
It is a Atwood XT GE-16TE 12/14/2005
Old 08-04-2013, 08:07 AM   #7
Community Administrator

That one has a mixing valve. It's basically a 10 gal WH that makes 16 gallons by mixing cold with hot.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Joyce, did you check the outside hot water faucet yet to make sure it was off? Takes only a second. rockin'

Next would be to see if the water tank is real hot by touching it by hand or infared temp gun. If it is, you have a mixing valve issue. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 08-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
When my mixing valve messed up i took off the locking cap and dug out the tamper glue and um...tampered with it. I ran to adjustment screw in and out with water running then set it a tad higher. Fixed the problem for now.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
If the RV was in storage the valves could be set to bypass the hot ware heater. If you didn't reset all the valves you could be mixing cold water with the hot thereby having lukewarm water. Be sure to check all the bypass vales to make sure they are set correctly.
Rburke8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:11 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rburke8 View Post
If the RV was in storage the valves could be set to bypass the hot ware heater. If you didn't reset all the valves you could be mixing cold water with the hot thereby having lukewarm water. Be sure to check all the bypass vales to make sure they are set correctly.
Another good recommendation......in 9 years of FTing.....I've never have had to winterize any of our units, so I forgot about this one.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Hot Water

Yes I found a valve that was not turned on.... Made a big
difference with the pressure. But the water still not very
hot... I can live with it that way. Thanks for help.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Joyce, you never commented to the question......is the tank hot to the touch (easiest to do from the outside door)? If it's hot, then, base on previous info you've given the mixing valve is stuck. When operating properly, most folks complain that the water is too hot! Faucet temp should be in the neighborhood of 120*F. rockin'
Old 08-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Yes I found a valve that was not turned on.... Made a big
difference with the pressure. But the water still not very
hot... I can live with it that way. Thanks for help.
I have same model and year excel as yours. I had same problem. The mixing value is limed up. I finally removed mixing value and took it apart and soaked it in lime away.but to take care of problem til I had time to clean valve I put a ball valve in the mixing line that goes from the cold line to mixing value. That way if you want hotter water you turn value partially off( which limits amount of cold that can be mixed with hot). I will try to take picture of value I installed and sent in few minutes.
lyncjim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water heater, water