Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-18-2021, 03:21 PM   #1

Hot Water Pressure

Need some advise. After de-winterizing my waterlines, the hot water faucets do not run water with the same pressure as the cold. After researching various site, I took the mixer valve off today and cleaned the little bit of gunk in the screen and reinstalled, but without any improvement. What should I consider next?
Phoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2021, 03:42 PM   #2

I think your Mixing Valve is still clogged up

'Bypass' the Water Heater (open bypass/close cold inlet)
This will allow cold water to flow into hot water lines
Check if Flow out faucets Hotside improves...YES then Mixing valve is still clogged
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 04:24 PM   #3

Thanks for the bypass suggestion. So if the mixing valve is still clogged, what is your suggestion for cleaning it out?
Old 04-18-2021, 06:58 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
I agree with OB. Did you take the mixing valve COMPLETELY apart and clean out all the crude out of the holes? I take it all the way apart and boil it in a pan on the stove for about 30 minutes. Use about a 50/50 water to vinegar ratio. Boiling it speeds up the process. Run the vent fan over the stove as it gets pretty vinegar smelly in there! Let us know how it goes.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:23 PM   #5

Rockintom, so I will need to remove all the hose connection pieces, plus the plastic knob parts, and everything internal that will come out?
Old 04-18-2021, 07:38 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Yep. When you get it all apart, you'll see how it works and where the holes are plugged. To get real technical, remember when everything is right the hot water volume/flow is not quite as much as the cold. Close, but not quite. Just sayin. Good luck.

And just FYI. You can eliminate the mixer and make a 10 gal out of WH. You will have to put a lower temp thermostat to eliminate scalding. Tim Jerby suggested an adjustable thermo on FB and you can do that. Or you can put in
a "non-mixer" old style thermostat (I believe about 130F). I believe it's a Atwood #91447.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 04-18-2021, 09:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Yep. When you get it all apart, you'll see how it works and where the holes are plugged. To get real technical, remember when everything is right the hot water volume/flow is not quite as much as the cold. Close, but not quite. Just sayin. Good luck.

And just FYI. You can eliminate the mixer and make a 10 gal out of WH. You will have to put a lower temp thermostat to eliminate scalding. Tim Jerby suggested an adjustable thermo on FB and you can do that. Or you can put in
a "non-mixer" old style thermostat (I believe about 130F). I believe it's a Atwood #91447.
Mixing Valve controls hot out to 130*F.....EXT model t-stat allows heating to 160*F

Standard Atwood T-stat allows heating to 140*F
YES you can do away with the mixing valve...they clog and will clog due to calcium/scale in water source

But in order to change T-stat you will also have to change the PIN connector on your Brown wire to a Small Spade connector

Atwood 91447 is the correct Standard 12vDC T-stat Set (T-stat & ECO which is the High Temp T-stat/Opens at 180*F)

***Atwood also has an Optional 130*F T-stat (small spade connector needed to swap it)
Atwood 91470
Old 04-19-2021, 06:41 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Thanks for the clarification. You are correct. I knew about the need to change the terminal when going from the 91547 to the 91447 but fail to mention. It's been a while. Can't believe we've been off the road for 3 years now. We'd still be going if my brides health would have held up! I miss it alot, but we have to realize everything has a begining, middle and end. So blessed to have 13 years of FT living. Lots of great memories!
Old 04-19-2021, 03:28 PM   #9

Ok, thanks for your comments. I just got done testing by bypassing the mixing valve and I still have only 1/2 the pressure on hot side compared to cold coming from bath, kitchen, and outside faucets. Now where should I check next?
Old 04-21-2021, 10:27 AM   #10

At first hot side connection closest to water heater....disconnect line at each end and backflush it
That section of line on the hot out may have 'stuff' in it
Old 04-25-2021, 04:30 PM   #11

Just to update everyone. I cleaned the mixer valve the best i could and did not get much improvement. So I decided to remove the valve and re-plumb the water lines in back of the hot water heater tank.
Old 04-25-2021, 04:43 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
OK Brian, I'm confused, you stated that you already by-passed the mixer and still had low volume. Now you say you're going to try it again. Please help me understand what the heck is going on.

Did you get the mixing valve completely apart and boil it out as we discussed? Were the holes in the center of the valve mostly plugged? We can only help if we have good information sent to us. Thanks. Tom
Old 04-25-2021, 05:36 PM   #13

Ok, let me start over. When it was recommended to bypass the water heater, I set the waterline up for winterizing, bypassing the tank. But by doing this i found out that the water still flows through the mixer valve to get to the faucets. The flow at this point did not improve.

I took out the mixer valve and tore it apart as far as I could into pieces and boiled it in vinegar/water solution for 30 minutes. Did not see much stuff come out and after reinstalling, did not improve the hot water flow.

I next decided to just hook up directly the bypass water line to the hot water line going to the faucets to bypass the mixer valve and the hot water tank completely. This definitely showed improvement to the faucets.

So I decided to eliminate the mixer valve completely and re-build the plumbing connections behind the tank similar to the way a Dometic hot water tank would be. I realize I will need to be careful because of the water temperature or change out the thermostat to an adjustable one since I removed the mixer valve.

Hope this clears up any confusion.
Old 04-25-2021, 06:05 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
I tried looking for my photos of my cleaning of the mixing valve and can't find them. The heart of the valve is in the center. It has a piece that has holes in it. My bet is that's the culprit. Please be very careful with the hot water cause that water temp in the heater is super heated to about 160F and it scald you!

Tags
hot water, water, water pressure