Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #15
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
OK here you go.

This is the type of caulking gun. Notice the notch style shaft. Is is a positive click type. Don't buy the friction style (without notches) as they wear out fast. To release pressure between uses, twist the handle and pull back.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1020255294.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	596.8 KB
ID:	39555

This is how the cut tip looks and size of hole. It's just barely cut from the end.

Name:	image-237612626.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	668.0 KB
ID:	39556

This is a side view showing the small 90 degree cut back on the top side to stop the caulking from peeling up over the top.

Name:	image-2712084349.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	683.9 KB
ID:	39557

Good luck and happy caulking!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #16

Excel Owners Club
That's the way I was taught to cut the tip and somehow forgot about it over many years.

Great info....thanks for taking the time to share with us "entry level" repair folks! Come in here and chat anytime!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #17

One last thing that I eventually figured out........do a practice run without actually running caulk to make sure you know where you are going with the gun. Gone into a corner many times and had to reposition and screwed up the flow. Is that too much think in'?
lsparksrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:27 AM   #18

Excel Owners Club
I would like to be better at caulking than I am, and these tips will certainly help, but I still have a couple of questions. Are we talking about 100% silicon caulk? Probably should be mildew resistant also, right? The original question mentioned dicor, which is a lap sealant for the roof. I'm also interested in replacing the dicor around the skylight and vent covers on my fiberglass roof, so these tips would apply for that also, right? I plan on using the self leveling dicor, so maybe smoothing it out won't be necessary, but otherwise scraping the old stuff off, cleaning with alcohol and applying a bead like I would for silicon caulk.
Thanks. - John
janieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #19

Excel Owners Club
John,
Quickly as we have an appt. to make. Yes, PI says 100% pure silicon. Dicor makes all kinds of caulks and all. You use Dicor self leveling on the roof won't need any smoothing out as it does it itself. Dicor remains kinda soft and pliable, so removal of the old is not really an issue. Don't forget you could use Eternabond tape to have a more permanent seal. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 05-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #20

Excel Owners Club
I disagree with PI. I think they need to re-evaluate their recommended caulk.

I will not use 100% silicone on my trailer.

There are MUCH better caulks for RV's. Proflex RV sealant is my favorite. Much better adhesion and lasts longer.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:40 PM   #21
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by janieD View Post
I would like to be better at caulking than I am, and these tips will certainly help, but I still have a couple of questions. Are we talking about 100% silicon caulk? Probably should be mildew resistant also, right? The original question mentioned dicor, which is a lap sealant for the roof. I'm also interested in replacing the dicor around the skylight and vent covers on my fiberglass roof, so these tips would apply for that also, right? I plan on using the self leveling dicor, so maybe smoothing it out won't be necessary, but otherwise scraping the old stuff off, cleaning with alcohol and applying a bead like I would for silicon caulk.
Thanks. - John
You have to use the right caulk for the right job.

I'd advise only using silicone where it suits it's use. Mildew resistant around plumbing fixtures and areas subject to water. That does not include exteriors. There are many caulks formulated and recommended for exterior use.

As far as technique, you have to match your prep of the caulking tube with the application. Large gaps require a larger hole cut in the tube.
Still use the rule of thumb.....less is better in the application, you can add more if your pass doesn't quite fill your gap.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #22

Forest River Owners Club
I tried using the Geocel Proflex on some exterior trim recently. I'm puzzled, as it has remained sort of tacky - and that was probably a month ago. It seems to have cured - that is, it doesn't scrape away, and is relatively firm. But I didn't expect the tackiness.

I think I may switch to a non-leveling Dicor - I've not used it yet, but am imagining it will be more like what the factory originally used to bed windows & trim on the exterior. The factory stuff is still somewhat pliable even after 13 years.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #23

Excel Owners Club
Steve, have you tried wiping the tacky surface of the ProFlex with rubbing alcohol?

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #24

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
Steve, have you tried wiping the tacky surface of the ProFlex with rubbing alcohol?
Nope, but I will now...
Old 07-07-2013, 10:59 PM   #25

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
I tried using the Geocel Proflex on some exterior trim recently. I'm puzzled, as it has remained sort of tacky - and that was probably a month ago. It seems to have cured - that is, it doesn't scrape away, and is relatively firm. But I didn't expect the tackiness.

I think I may switch to a non-leveling Dicor - I've not used it yet, but am imagining it will be more like what the factory originally used to bed windows & trim on the exterior. The factory stuff is still somewhat pliable even after 13 years.
Steve,

I had a similar situation with GE II 100% silicone a couple of years back. Long story....longer...I called their hotline and the guy said normal, keep an eye on it and call us back if it doesn't get firmer in 3 months!! Anyhow, I now see their advertising on the tube...new and improved, quicker curing time. I used it and found it to cure up pretty much overnight. Just FYI. rockin'
Old 09-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #26

Great thread, thanks for sharing your tips/methods gentlemen!

I've done a little bit of caulking myself over the years having done most of my own home renovations so I just wanted to point out that I've had bad experience using the water or spit on finger method with anything other than latex based caulks.....was I alone in these negative experiences? LOL!

Which brings me to another question, have you guys tried using those caulking tools you see at the home stores now??? They take place of your finger in smoothing over the caulk.
__________________________________________________ _________

Anyhow, I cleaned my roof today, including the channels that follow the roof line on the sides as they were mucked up with algae/dirt. While doing this some of the terribly applied caulk began to come off during this cleaning, hence search on here.

Looking for any tips to removing any stubborn old caulk I might run into?
Old 09-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #27

There's a product called Meckanika gel caulk remover. It breaks down silicon caulking for better removal. It's at Ace and Home Depot. A tube of it for your caulking gun costs @ $16. but it works.
87_Fixr is offline   Reply With Quote