Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
How do they do it?

I've caulked a lot of windows, bathrooms,cracks, etc. in houses and don't see how those rv guys can lay down such a smooth bead of caulk. I start out doing ok then an air bubble hits and I try to back up and then it all goes to hell in a basket. Do they heat the caulk? I use the same Dicor they do.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #2

They do it for a living and have tool to lay it well. I watched the contractor who redid our bathroom lay down caulking and was amazed at how good it looked.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTwoStep View Post
I've caulked a lot of windows, bathrooms,cracks, etc. in houses and don't see how those rv guys can lay down such a smooth bead of caulk. I start out doing ok then an air bubble hits and I try to back up and then it all goes to hell in a basket. Do they heat the caulk? I use the same Dicor they do.
Gary,

If you go to the plant and watch them lay the caulk you'd find it amazing. Two main things to consider. The in-plant air operated caulk gun they use is consistent with the flow speed and pattern (vs. the hand squeezing action of a chalk gun). Also you can get good at it if that's what you do all day long.

That said, I'm not a very good caulker myself, but I've found that learning a few good tricks help make the caulk lay a little nicer. First, clean the area to be caulked of loose caulk, next, clean the area with alcohol and allow to dry. I then, use blue paint tape and outline the area you want to caulk. Lay the caulk with as smooth and uniform you can. I put alcohol on the end of my finger to smooth the caulk out, trying not to leave a lot of caulk at the edge of the tape so that you don't have a "lip" or ridge and have a nice smooth transition between the caulk and the surface of the rig. Some good caulkers laugh at the way I do it, but for me it leaves the best looking caulk job. Some folks like workshop can lay a sweet looking bead without thinking about it. HTH rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks RockinTom!!! Everyday I read these posts, I get wiser because of this forum. Thanks to all for being so open with your wisdom!!!
Sagamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagamore View Post
Thanks RockinTom!!! Everyday I read these posts, I get wiser because of this forum. Thanks to all for being so open with your wisdom!!!
You are welcome! There's a lot of folks here....that think I don't know "come here from sicum"!!! My thought is we learn from one another, and in numbers we are quite powerful!!! Team up!

PS .....go ahead still, I know you have a comment!!! Yours truly, dethroned SKIA!!!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 05-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
RockinTom has it right - the only difference between our methodologies is that I use water on the tip of my finger to smooth the bead rather than alcohol, but either way works well.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #7

I lay down the caulk the spray denatured alcohol over the caulk and on surrounding surfaces then smooth the calk. That the calk only sticks under the original caulk line.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post
RockinTom has it right - the only difference between our methodologies is that I use water on the tip of my finger to smooth the bead rather than alcohol, but either way works well.
Joe......you caught me......using the alcohol pulls me through until happy hour!!!

In a pinch, I've used good ol' spit!!! That otta cover it!
Old 05-25-2013, 07:32 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Joe......you caught me......using the alcohol pulls me through until happy hour!!!

In a pinch, I've used good ol' spit!!! That otta cover it!
Some of my best work happens DURING happy hour!
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:31 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
You are welcome! There's a lot of folks here....that think I don't know "come here from sicum"!!! My thought is we learn from one another, and in numbers we are quite powerful!!! Team up!

PS .....go ahead still, I know you have a comment!!! Yours truly, dethroned SKIA!!!
I'll just say this. Don't let ole' Rockin work on door locks. As for his input on most subjects, he is spot on . The others, he is out on left field. With input from all of us, someone usually has the correct answer.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:37 AM   #11

Best thing I have found for laying a good bead of caulk is really 2 things. One a cordless caulking gun, I have a ryobi one that has done me pretty well. The other is to buy the caulk early ( 2 or 3 weeks) and store it in a warm spot vertically with the nozzle pointing up. The air in the tube will actually migrate to the end of the tube and will get pushed out on the first squeeze. Had an air operated caulking gun for a long time and that work well until it croaked.

Saves your hand and gets a good bead and with all the seams in RV's and S&B's i've done it has paid for itself with nary a burp and fewer of the words my grandson shouldn't hear.

Just my .02
Old 05-26-2013, 08:00 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Working "NOT" View Post
I'll just say this. Don't let ole' Rockin work on door locks. As for his input on most subjects, he is spot on . The others, he is out on left field. With input from all of us, someone usually has the correct answer.

still, there you are!! I was gettin' worried! Oh, BTW it's "out in left field". There we gotta it all fixed! rockin'
Old 05-26-2013, 08:34 AM   #13
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Having been in construction for 37 years I've done a LOT of caulking! Here's what I know.

Assess the size of the area you need to caulk.

Best type of hand operated caulking gun is the knotched-ratchet style. This type allows you to twist and release pressure between Caulking lines.

Don't cut the tip the same size as the bead you want. For under 3/16" angle, cut the tip just enough to have a hole appear in the tip and enough to get a wire in to pierce the coating inside. Usually ends up being just under 1/8" hole.

When cutting the tip, cut at a 45 degree angle. Then cut the very tip back at 90 degrees. Just the smallest bit of plastic ahead of the hole without touching the hole. This stops the caulk from peeling back up over the tip during application.

Lay a small smooth bead and slow up just as you click another notch on the handle. It's important to put less than you think you need as once you wipe with your finger, it spreads up onto the sides to fill.

I have always licked and used my index finger (make sure it's clean LOL). Make sure it is very wet and have a paper towel handy. As you wipe the bead, make sure you wipe the excess if any excess starts to appear on your finger as leaving accumulated caulk on your finger will start to widen the bead in the angle. Wipe your finger clean, re-wet it and go back into the bead a couple of inches back from where you ended. If you have a small hole, don't worry as the accumulated caulk on your finger will normally fill it. If you end up with a long hole, go back over top of that area and apply a small amount using the gun.

Remember, less is best when applying as you can always go back. Although, don't wait to long as the bead you apply will start to skim over and that's when you make a mess. Don't do more than about 4' at a time before you go back and finger the bead, keep your finger moist and clean and you'll have a perfect bead every time.

I'll see if I have a tube with a cut tip at home and post a pic so you see what I mean.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
Having been in construction for 37 years I've done a LOT of caulking! Here's what I know.

Assess the size of the area you need to caulk.

Best type of hand operated caulking gun is the knotched-ratchet style. This type allows you to twist and release pressure between Caulking lines.

Don't cut the tip the same size as the bead you want. For under 3/16" angle, cut the tip just enough to have a hole appear in the tip and enough to get a wire in to pierce the coating inside. Usually ends up being just under 1/8" hole.

When cutting the tip, cut at a 45 degree angle. Then cut the very tip back at 90 degrees. Just the smallest bit of plastic ahead of the hole without touching the hole. This stops the caulk from peeling back up over the tip during application.

Lay a small smooth bead and slow up just as you click another notch on the handle. It's important to put less than you think you need as once you wipe with your finger, it spreads up onto the sides to fill.

I have always licked and used my index finger (make sure it's clean LOL). Make sure it is very wet and have a paper towel handy. As you wipe the bead, make sure you wipe the excess if any excess starts to appear on your finger as leaving accumulated caulk on your finger will start to widen the bead in the angle. Wipe your finger clean, re-wet it and go back into the bead a couple of inches back from where you ended. If you have a small hole, don't worry as the accumulated caulk on your finger will normally fill it. If you end up with a long hole, go back over top of that area and apply a small amount using the gun.

Remember, less is best when applying as you can always go back. Although, don't wait to long as the bead you apply will start to skim over and that's when you make a mess. Don't do more than about 4' at a time before you go back and finger the bead, keep your finger moist and clean and you'll have a perfect bead every time.

I'll see if I have a tube with a cut tip at home and post a pic so you see what I mean.
Les,

Thanks for sharing. Excellent info with great detail. I follow most of what you say, just didn't mention it. Would appreciate the pix. I have done some home remodeling in high school summer helper job. So had some experience there. Still not the best caulker in the world for sure. Practice makes perfect. Can only get better. rockin'