Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
How do you force the heat pump on??

This as been baffling me from the git-go and I have made s similar post before. We have been dry camping in Alaska for a couple of wet months and I finally have 50 amp for a few days. I'm wanting to get the humidity out of everything by running the heat pump, forcing air over the coils and wringing out the moisture, right? This morning it was 68 degrees inside and I raised the thermostat, which is set on electric heat, to 71 degrees. The furnace comes on low heat. So I turn it off and on to electric heat a couple of times and it does the same thing. Prior to this the heat pump has been coming on the way I want it to. I pulled the fuse on the furnace to see if this would help and it killed the thermostat. I know there is some association between the heat pump and furnace in that the furnace comes on after each heat pump cycle, but, I would think, I should be able to force the heat pump on. Does anyone know how this works or should work?

PS- The furnace just cycled back on low heat.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
On my MH. my thermostat has several options. I can run the heat with the furnace or with the heat pumps. Selecting the heat pumps overrides the furnace. Not knowing what thermostat you have I would suggest that the manual will tell you how to do it. Lacking that check the available settings by using the MODE control and see what options you have
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #3

Using your heat pump in the heating mode to "wring out" the moisture is really not the best approach. Actually, both the gas furnace and the electric heat pump will do precisely the same thing when you set the T-stat at 71* with a room temp of 68*. It will raise the room temp which in turn will lower the relative humidity level, but it cannot actually remove any moisture from the coach.

If you want to actually remove moisture you must run you heat pump in the cooling mode. This will indeed "wring out" the moisture. Try running the cooling mode set at 65* or lower for an hour or so. Then, you can switch over to heating (either gas or heat pump) to raise the room temp to your desired comfort level. Your indoor relative humidity will now be lower. You should be able to see the moisture dripping out below the coach heat pump while in the cooling mode.

Your cooling cycle is the only effective method of actually removing moisture.

Hope this helps.
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote