Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2008, 12:41 PM   #1

Has anyone had a problem with their floor? The area in question is the sofa/dinette slide. The right side wall floor connection____ how is it attached.

When I purchased the unit last June, the selling dealer made a repair to the wall where the rear ram attaches to the wall. This seems to have been a common problem with units of this age. The repair was ok but not perfect, and the slide operated correctly but always stuck out slightly more than the front and the top didn't seal as tight. Knew it would be one of those ˜things' to look at eventually. Haven't gotten to it yet and the problem seems to have gotten worse the past several months. Well...now is the time.

Upon inspecting the floor, have determined the floor is not attached to the wall. Looking at the sofa, it's the right side wall and floor area. With the slide in, I can see and feel that the wall is not... (( this section missing from photo post)) attached and if a pry bar is placed under the floor, it can be raised up and/or the wall can be moved slightly. With the slide out, the wall/floor joint is not as tight as the left wall/floor.

The floor's wood feels solid when probed with a screwdriver. No visual water problems noticed with the floor or wall. Exception being an area of soft paneling below the window but checks ok with a moisture meter, unless it's older damage.

Don't know once the wall is attached to the floor whether other areas will self correct with a little alignment assistance or if it's only part of a problem. Just need to start someplace and the floor/wall seems to be it.

Any one with this problem before or know how they're attached.

Thanks,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2008, 12:41 PM   #2

Has anyone had a problem with their floor? The area in question is the sofa/dinette slide. The right side wall floor connection____ how is it attached.

When I purchased the unit last June, the selling dealer made a repair to the wall where the rear ram attaches to the wall. This seems to have been a common problem with units of this age. The repair was ok but not perfect, and the slide operated correctly but always stuck out slightly more than the front and the top didn't seal as tight. Knew it would be one of those ˜things' to look at eventually. Haven't gotten to it yet and the problem seems to have gotten worse the past several months. Well...now is the time.

Upon inspecting the floor, have determined the floor is not attached to the wall. Looking at the sofa, it's the right side wall and floor area. With the slide in, I can see and feel that the wall is not... (( this section missing from photo post)) attached and if a pry bar is placed under the floor, it can be raised up and/or the wall can be moved slightly. With the slide out, the wall/floor joint is not as tight as the left wall/floor.

The floor's wood feels solid when probed with a screwdriver. No visual water problems noticed with the floor or wall. Exception being an area of soft paneling below the window but checks ok with a moisture meter, unless it's older damage.

Don't know once the wall is attached to the floor whether other areas will self correct with a little alignment assistance or if it's only part of a problem. Just need to start someplace and the floor/wall seems to be it.

Any one with this problem before or know how they're attached.

Thanks,

Old 06-02-2008, 02:41 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
I hope you get an answer on this... Turns out I'll be replacing rotten wood on my slide and any information on how to reattach walls and floors will be very helpful.. seems to be a lot of these things with water damaged floors. Good Luck.

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW
headinsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:37 PM   #4

75v,

got the pics, thanks! Think they will help....need to spend more time looking at them. Assume the wall screws into the second layer of plywood from the side? Thanks again...As you can tell, I like pictures.

Daryl,

I'll be sure to pass along what I find out. Just completed the lags...can see them and its pretty straight forward. Even though I like to root around on a project, just hate to get into something like the slides knowing I might have to disassemble so much and maybe not be necessary. One of those things its nice to ask for advice first.

Thanks,
Old 06-02-2008, 04:40 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Is there any chance I could get a copy of the pics.. Please?
Thanks Workshop.. I can use all the help I can get on this!

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW
Old 06-02-2008, 04:56 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
I just sent you a Private Message.. Thanks a lot!

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW
Old 06-03-2008, 01:45 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
75v,
I got the pictures and it does help a lot.. Maybe I can get this water damaged ROTTEN floor repaired. I just can't afford to take it back to Peterson. I shouldn't have to but it appears that most people that buy these things do. Good luck with yours. Thanks for the pictures.

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW
Old 06-03-2008, 06:33 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Chris,

In your original post you mentioned a moisture meter. Can you give me some more info on one of these?

Paul

04 Excel 33RSE
clspds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:18 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Paul,
Chris is probably 'Workhorsing' so I'll jump in. Home depot and Lowes carry these water-leak detectors. Here is one from Home Depot and they have several types.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:18 AM   #10

Paul,

This is the MOISTURE METER I referred to in the post. It has a dual pin contact and measures the moisture between the two contacts. Much the same as the basement water alarms operation.

I have been using this unit for several years to do a quick test for moisture on the wood that I'm checking. If your crawling around in an attic or under a house, a $300 meter might be more accurate....but if your only looking for the presents of moisture I find this unit does everything I need for the purpose intended.

Used it to check for moisture where the walls and ceiling meet and the area above and between the entry door and dinette/sofa slide after I bought the unit. Found several areas that was damp but not wet. The probes do not need to be inserted very deep, I mostly make point contact and if possible in an area where the pin holes blend in, which hasn't been hard to do. Simple meter to use and for what I use it for, does the job.

The area in question did not indicate a moisture problem. The caulk on all the outside trim looks good and just noticed that the floor wasn't attached to the slide wall while looking at a 'to do project' dealing with the rear ram, its attachment and why the upper area extended out.
So much for staying out of trouble.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:12 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Chief,
Thanks. I have been looking for these but can't seem to find them when in the store. I'll keep trying.

Chris,
Thanks. I think one of these would be handy to have also. It is now on the list of things to buy. I didn't mean to get off your topic. I hope someone here can give you some help.

Paul

04 Excel 33RSE
clspds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:17 AM   #12

Paul this is the BASEMENT MOISTURE METER I got at Lowes. My local HD didn't carry one. Because of my plumbing...installed one on each side of the basement.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:43 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Paul,
This one from Home Depot has a detachable sensor that can be placed up to 100' from the alarm.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:20 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Paul,

I will give you my two cents worth. I got this from Harbor Freight and placed the sensor right under where the shower drain comes out of the shower and goes into the gray water tank. Mounted the unit in the basement where the roadside door is.
LarryGodby is offline   Reply With Quote