Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2022, 06:32 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
How to legally get from TX to SC with a newly-purchased Excel?

The 36GKE I was looking at in Kansas was a bust and now I'm eyeing a 37SDF in Texas. If this deal goes through, how can I legally get it here?

A search of the TX-DMV site only shows temporary permits that allow travel in Texas and not interstate.

Any of you smarter-than-me people know how I might accomplish this?

Gary
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2022, 09:16 AM   #2

As long as you have a temporary tag from one state, other states on your travels back to your home state will honor the temp tag. And, as long as you have all the proper paperwork - if you do get stopped, it’s very unlikely you’ll have any trouble.

It’s when your traveling away from your home state and don’t have the proper documentation that you need to be worried.

Ex: we bought a Jeep the end of May and got a temporary tag. We’re from Texas. In July we toaded it to New Mexico, Colorado, Utah and back, on a temporary tag. We were followed by law enforcement numerous times, whether while toading or driving around. Only had 1 instance that a local bleeped out on his intercom “no tag”, because Texas doesn’t issue 2 temporary tags - we only had 1 tag on the back.
He watched as we drove on, and then he saw the back tag. We continued on our merry way.
Old 09-03-2022, 12:33 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Just go for it! I bought a ClassC in November in CA. Drove it 1400 miles to Texas. Was told that if I had all the paper work, it would not be a problem when driving to your home state. You could prove ownership and just purchased and taking it home.

Remember, when you bring it back to Texas, stop on the way and have it weighted by a CAT scale. You will need it to register it in Texas. Save yourself a trip.
DamonCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 12:37 PM   #4

Check with your home state, SC. They should be able to give you a temporary permit to bring it home. Or if the seller is willing, use his tag to get home and then send it back to him when you get there.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 02:29 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Thanks for the replies!

It looks like this one may be a bust also. There's another 37SDF in Georgia, but it doesn't have nearly the list of included "stuff" and is several thousand more.

There is a '14 37FLE at a dealer in FL, as well as a '15 34IKE in NM. Neither has the floorplan that we need, but we could make work. The 34IKE wouldn't require me to upgrade to a dually.

Gary
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 02:34 PM   #6

Texas does provides a Seller’s means for showing they no longer own the vehicle and can be done on-line. In fact, your supposed to within 30 days of the sell.

The Seller can fill out the paperwork online. Make sure you get a Bill of Sell from the Seller. The Texas DMV website has all the info you need and needed forms for the proof you need.
Hopefully the title is clear and the seller can just sign it over. If not, I would contact his lender for both help and to make sure they know what’s going on.

Tags
excel, purchase