Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2008, 12:37 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
So here I is dry camping outside of Moab, UT. I recharge my batteries and create 120v using a Honda 2000i. When I don't have shore power like this, I monitor my battery voltage with a little 12v battery meter plugged into a 12v outlet in the LR.

Until today, when I ran the generator, I would see about 14.3v on this display. Today I see 12.4v with the generator running! I have 120v in the coach, but it looks like I'm not getting a charge at the batteries. No change when I turn off most of my 12v drains, like vent fans and lights, as well as big 120v drains like the refrig and water heater.

How can I test charging, I assume, at the batteries? And what would I look for if indeed I don't measure a charge there?

I have a digi multimeter, but don't know enough about electricty to use it without specific instructions. I've seen wisps of smoke from it before, so I tread carefully.

I repeat - I only took up drinking since I started FT. No doubt Tom uses the same excuse.
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2008, 12:37 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
So here I is dry camping outside of Moab, UT. I recharge my batteries and create 120v using a Honda 2000i. When I don't have shore power like this, I monitor my battery voltage with a little 12v battery meter plugged into a 12v outlet in the LR.

Until today, when I ran the generator, I would see about 14.3v on this display. Today I see 12.4v with the generator running! I have 120v in the coach, but it looks like I'm not getting a charge at the batteries. No change when I turn off most of my 12v drains, like vent fans and lights, as well as big 120v drains like the refrig and water heater.

How can I test charging, I assume, at the batteries? And what would I look for if indeed I don't measure a charge there?

I have a digi multimeter, but don't know enough about electricty to use it without specific instructions. I've seen wisps of smoke from it before, so I tread carefully.

I repeat - I only took up drinking since I started FT. No doubt Tom uses the same excuse.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:53 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Bruce,if the battery voltage never rises when the gen is running, I would look for any spec sheet or manual that came w/ the PD converter. I haven't looked at mine yet, but there may be troubleshooting hints or locations of any breakers/fuses that might be open or set.
Ed

2008 Excel E33TKE,'08 K3500 DRW, B&W Hitch
evan0810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 03:00 PM   #4

Bruce you need to put the bottle down for a few minutes.

If I understand it correctly...you have 120vac in the unit. This tells me you have AC voltage from the generator. As you probably know, your charging voltage for the batteries is coming from the converter and the 14.3v is normal in your situation.

I would first check the circuit breaker for the circuit that the converter is plugged into. On my unit it includes all the storage compartments outlets, bedroom and several other minor circuits. If that breaker opened for some reason it would also remove 120vac from the converter and thus no charging. Look and check the breakers on your panel.

If you have access to the outlet the converter is plugged into, you can check to see if that outlet is hot by plugging in a hair dryer or simular item into the outlet and see if it works. See no meter needed. If you can read 14.3vdc from your present source in the LR it will read the same as if reading from the batteries for general, non-major-troubleshooting. No meter again.

Check the 120vac breaker and let us know.

Chris
Old 05-17-2008, 03:54 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Bruce,

How dare you blame your uncontollable drinking on me!! It the FTing lifestyle!!! Not MY fault!

Chris (workhorse) is shooting you the gospel! It makes sense to me (at least after a da** good rally happy hour )

Lots and lots of fun around here this afternoon/evening. Wonderful folks! What more can I say.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:51 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Yeah, I shoulda mentioned that I cked the converter breakers, as well as the 3amp 12v fuse for the Distribution Box (or is that for the video/audio center?).

This time, I replaced the 15amp 120v breaker with a spare I carry (!) to no avail. I also cked the manual for the converter. It speaks of blown fuses, as well as extra high voltage. But my generator voltage is 124.

I have a Progressive EMS in line. But I always turn it off with the generator, so it shouldn't be a factor.

Don't know if this is a coincidence, but today my microwave is showing a F-5 code each time I turn it on. I can't find a definition for that code, tho someone on the Net said hers stopped working with the F5. I turned off the circuit breaker for the microwave, but nothing changed.

Good thing I'm on my way to SC. At this rate, I may establish domicile in Kansas.

Any other ideas about this lack of voltage on my meter? I guess I shouldn't place all my faith in the meter tho. How can I confirm the voltage? With the multimeter? A few months ago, I've tried testing a 12v power splitter for voltage and just burned out fuses for my trouble, and, eventually the splitter. Had trouble getting those probes in there without shorting out on the side, I reckon. Should I take a reading at the batteries?

Old 05-17-2008, 07:07 PM   #7

Well you may have to try the meter one more time. Reading at the battery won't be quite as bad.

If you have checked the power at the 120vac breaker and know its good, reading the voltage at the battery area should tell you if the converter is outputting. Its my understanding the fuses on the converter is to protect it in case the batteries from temperorly (? conncted incorrectly. Check the power at the outlet the converter plugs into as a last resort. There's not much that can be done with the converter. Input and output voltage checks and the fuses.

Might want to try hooking up to the TV, run the engine and check your voltage at your plug in meter. If you can read your TV voltages you will know it's still a good test point for that area.

I posted a drawing in BP that included the converter voltage path. On my unit pretty much a straight path from the converter output to the batteries.

I would check the converters outlet for power, check the converter output and fuses.

TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE
Old 05-18-2008, 04:36 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
So here's the sequence of subsequent events:

Bruce turns off the generator.

With great courage, Bruce uses his multimeter to test the voltage of the 2 6v golf cart batteries. Result = 12.0v and no smoke or screaming.

Bruce returns to the coach and reads the batter monitor. Results = 12.1v

Bruce starts up the generator again. Glances at the battery monitor. Results = 14.3v

Bruce opens a bottle of beer and shakes his head.

Bruce attaches the TV trailer cable to the trailer, starts the engine, and checks the battery monitor. Results = 12.2v

Bruce arrives at the next CG and plugs into 50amps. Results = 14.5v

So, what has happened here? Near as I can tell the problem has disappeared with no changes. BTW - I never did find the outlet for the converter. I assume it lies somewhere between the furnace chamber and the conventer where I can't see it. The microwave still displays a fault code, so I doubt there is any relationship other than ruthless vengeance by inanimate objects.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:36 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bruce and Jenna:
BTW - I never did find the outlet for the converter. I assume it lies somewhere between the furnace chamber and the conventer where I can't see it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My outlet is located in the electrical center ceiling near the converter. Look up young man!
Don't know what to say on the other stuff except what's been said. Sorry! Tom
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:22 AM   #10

Bruce... The converter PI uses has a three stage smart charger from Progresive Dynamics Charge Wizard that automaticaly changes your charge voltage as needed and I am just wondering if that could be what you are getting. Also I would check all your ground connections you can access as I once heard they are often the root of all evils when it comes to electrical. Other than that your guess is most likely much better than mine and I am sure PI will fix you right up. Have a great trip

2007 Excel, 30RSO, Demco Glide Ride, B&W Companion.
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:54 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Good thought, Max1, and thanks for the link to look it up. But none of the stages drop below 13.2. I hit 12.1

I thought I was living with Forest Gump in Bayou La Batre

Bruce
Old 05-19-2008, 10:28 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rockintom:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bruce and Jenna:
BTW - I never did find the outlet for the converter. I assume it lies somewhere between the furnace chamber and the conventer where I can't see it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My outlet is located in the electrical center ceiling near the converter. Look up young man!
Don't know what to say on the other stuff except what's been said. Sorry! Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Rockin. I found it. O course, now it's working right. But I'm ready with DW's hairdryer! (I just dry mine with a Kleenex, for obvious reasons.)
Old 05-22-2008, 09:09 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
So it's back. Batteries have fallen to 11.9v.

Indeed I have no current at the converter outlet. This time I swapped a 15amp breaker for the BR, which I know works, with the converter breaker. No difference.

What's left? Replace the converter outlet? Any other potential points of intermittent failure in this circuit?
Old 05-22-2008, 10:27 AM   #14

Don't know why that one outlet would be bad by it's self. In the stick built not that common but does happen. Usually a bad connection at the outlet. If you have an extention cord that will reach that area, in the short term extend from a good outlet to the converter plug.

If the original outlet is still bad, use the hair dryer method to check other outlets to see what else is also not working if any. That will indicate if it's a single outlet or possible something like a circuit.

If you have a GFI main breaker on the panel, might check it to see if it's tripped. But you indicate the outlet in question is not on that circuit.???