Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Hydraulic slides moving out 2" when moving

2008 35 MKE 4 slides Hydraulic

This just started on our way back north from Fla. The bottom of each slide out is moving out about 2" and top doesn't. Talked with SC and ralph gave me some steps to try but that hasn't helped. Stop at rest areas and push the switches and bring them back in. Then repeat it the next time I stop. Is this happing to anybody else? If you found a fix what did you do?? Does not happen to the bedroom slide.

Thanks Dick
Rsteabag is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
On the earlier models this was somewhat common. Either you have a bit of trash in the system causing a solenoid valve to leak a bit or a faulty solenoid itself. Seems like there was something to try such as opening the allen screw at the solenoids and by passing the solenoid thus flushing the solenoid. I remember that Curtis Peterson talked about this at the 2009 Family Reunion. What instruction have you been given so far? rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
On the earlier models this was somewhat common. Either you have a bit of trash in the system causing a solenoid valve to leak a bit or a faulty solenoid itself. Seems like there was something to try such as opening the allen screw at the solenoids and by passing the solenoid thus flushing the solenoid. I remember that Curtis Peterson talked about this at the 2009 Family Reunion. What instruction have you been given so far? rockin'
Hi Tom,

That was what Ralph told me try and I did all three slides and run them in and out 4 times and they still move some. Talked with Lippert and they told me another way to check them but wanted to try it I get back home. They suggested to loosen one of the hoses and run that slide out and when finished there should no fluid coming out and if it does the seal is no good in the ram. But I find that hard to believe that 3 rams would fail. What's your thoughts?

Dick

Dick
Old 04-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsteabag View Post
Hi Tom,

That was what Ralph told me try and I did all three slides and run them in and out 4 times and they still move some. Talked with Lippert and they told me another way to check them but wanted to try it I get back home. They suggested to loosen one of the hoses and run that slide out and when finished there should no fluid coming out and if it does the seal is no good in the ram. But I find that hard to believe that 3 rams would fail. What's your thoughts?

Dick

Dick
I'm back to a solenoid leaking by either a piece of trash in the solenoid time or a solenoid tip gone bad. Is your fluid level good? To check it properly all slides should be extended.....and the bedroom slide retracted. (all jacks should be extended also at least to contact the ground). With that you should have the lowest the reservoir level will show. Curtis would be a good guy to get consult. But he's hard to get now-a-day as he's usually working the floor and he doesn't have voice mail anymore. Just my thought. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 04-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
I'm back to a solenoid leaking by either a piece of trash in the solenoid time or a solenoid tip gone bad. Is your fluid level good? To check it properly all slides should be extended.....and the bedroom slide retracted. (all jacks should be extended also at least to contact the ground). With that you should have the lowest the reservoir level will show. Curtis would be a good guy to get consult. But he's hard to get now-a-day as he's usually working the floor and he doesn't have voice mail anymore. Just my thought. rockin'
Lippert recommends all slides in and all gear up and the fluid level should be 1/2 to 1" below the the top of the tank. Yes that was the first thing I had done. I still find it hard to believe that 3 solenoids would be leaking at the same time but will check them out when we are home next week. Thanks for your thoughts and anything that you may think of.

Dick
Old 04-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Lippert recommends all slides in and all gear up and the fluid level should be 1/2 to 1" below the the top of the tank. Yes that was the first thing I had done. I still find it hard to believe that 3 solenoids would be leaking at the same time but will check them out when we are home next week. Thanks for your thoughts and anything that you may think of.

Dick
I don't believe there are 3 solenoids bad. There could be only one that bad on the motor assy. that's allowing for drain back to the system......letting the slides work out while driving. I don't have a schematic to look it up and tell you which solenoid is suspect. PI does the bedroom slide ram just backwards to what most other manufacturers do. That's why they want the slide in to check oil level. This is info that was given to me from Ralph @ PI. I promise you if you have the system set to it's lowest point and you had the fluid level 1" from the top. When you brought the LR slides in.....that puppy would be overflowing. Just my thoughts. BTW they use Dextron III ATF on this system. rockin'
Old 04-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #7

I don't know what slides the EXCEL carries, but on the Tiffin's the hydraulic slides are HWH. I had a similar problem and was told to be sure I held the CLOSE button for 3-4 seconds after the slide was all the way in. They also said to do a similar thing on the extend cycle. According to Tiffin, the extend action bleeds the system of air, and the close action puts a high pressure hydraulic lock on the system. I was skeptical at first, but it's worked for us for over 1500 miles.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
I don't believe there are 3 solenoids bad. There could be only one that bad on the motor assy. that's allowing for drain back to the system......letting the slides work out while driving. I don't have a schematic to look it up and tell you which solenoid is suspect. PI does the bedroom slide ram just backwards to what most other manufacturers do. That's why they want the slide in to check oil level. This is info that was given to me from Ralph @ PI. I promise you if you have the system set to it's lowest point and you had the fluid level 1" from the top. When you brought the LR slides in.....that puppy would be overflowing. Just my thoughts. BTW they use Dextron III ATF on this system. rockin'
Tom the fluid level is at 1' and down when the slides are out and landing gear down. There are 2 solenoids on the pump side and will look at this monday . We used solenoids like these on our jets for landing gear and other hydraulic systems but dont ever remember the solenoids having that problem, it was mostly electrical problems and the system was very high pressure compaired to these. I know what happens when you over fill. Will check out some of your thoughts.

On our last leg home today we blew a drivers side front tire on the trailer on I-95 in northern Ct. Goodsam took care of it ( 2hRS). Just checked the tires in a rest area 10 miles down the road. Tires checked wit infered meter temps low no sign of any problem, checked pressure this am before we left Nj. No damage to the trailer.

Dick
Old 04-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
I have had issues with my jacks and the slides moving out. One jack was replaced and continued to drop when parked for a couple of days. One of the techs at the dealership I deal with saw a bulletin from another manufacturer for the same problem...something to do with the wiring to the pump or solenoids and changed the wiring on mine and fixed my hydraulic slide and jack issues. I just can't remember what he did. It's nice when you have a tech paying attention to problems like this.
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Tom the fluid level is at 1' and down when the slides are out and landing gear down. There are 2 solenoids on the pump side and will look at this monday . We used solenoids like these on our jets for landing gear and other hydraulic systems but dont ever remember the solenoids having that problem, it was mostly electrical problems and the system was very high pressure compaired to these. I know what happens when you over fill. Will check out some of your thoughts.

On our last leg home today we blew a drivers side front tire on the trailer on I-95 in northern Ct. Goodsam took care of it ( 2hRS). Just checked the tires in a rest area 10 miles down the road. Tires checked wit infered meter temps low no sign of any problem, checked pressure this am before we left Nj. No damage to the trailer.

Dick

Dick,

Let me guess....Goodyear RST 614.....surely they weren't the original tires. They usually blow after about the 4th year. If you haven't already done so, replace the others before they go too. It's very common for the same side tire blows soon after the first one goes as it overloads the remaining tire on that side. Just my thoughts. rockin'
Old 04-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Dick,

Let me guess....Goodyear RST 614.....surely they weren't the original tires. They usually blow after about the 4th year. If you haven't already done so, replace the others before they go too. It's very common for the same side tire blows soon after the first one goes as it overloads the remaining tire on that side. Just my thoughts. rockin'
Tom you guessed wrong they are Michelin 215-75R-17.5 XTA J rateing and they are the original tires and the spare still had the sticker on the tread.Build date was 1707 so the won't be 6 years old until the first week of May. But I and trying to get a price on 4 new ones but they are comerical tires so alot of the dealers don't have the machine that can put a 16 ply tire on aluminum rims so will find a truck tire dealer. Have about 30K on the trailer

Dick
Old 04-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
There I go again.......stereotyping the GY delima......and was WRONG AGAIN. Me and my big mouth gets me in hocks again!

Those Michelins have a decent reputation.....you know....for being pretty good......and very expensive. Can I get a witness?

BTW. Were you able to determine the nature of failure? IE road hazard, tread seperation, or overheating?

I have a set of the same tires on my rig and love them.....so far so good. Been running about 110 tire pressure. Only 2 years old and only about 6K miles. I'm amazed of how cool they run (minimum sidewall flexing) compared to the GY bombs. rockin'
Old 04-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Do you guys with the Michelin XTA's tow at 62 mph or less in accordance with their spec rating?

Be honest.....

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
I usually drive about 60-62 tops....and yes going downhill headed to the liquor store winery I have hit 80.....but only for a few seconds. And that's the truth....Judge your honor!!!