Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #15

I saw the post you mentioned. On all RV forums, and some other forums, there seems to be an attitude of "my opinion counts, even if I have no experience or knowledge about the subject".

I have my personal ones that make me cringe. There is the "repeat the internet folklore" and it gets started. If twelve people make a statement, it must be true; even if no direct experience, facts, or references were provided. Then there is the "I always used product X, configured in fashion Y; the world did not end so my way is best". The list goes on and on.

I have to wonder how many folks in that thread have actually ever walked through a slide entry door? How many have seen one in person? I suppose your real customer will tell you what they think with their wallets. I'd love to try one out in person if I was in the market. Until then I'll stay out of the "virtural" thread where people dream up reasons they hate things.
Adaycj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #16
JDT

I ignore that website most of the time. You can post a thread that says white is white and black is black and get a whole string of opinions to the contrary plus an observation or two on how stupid you are.

You need enough floor plans and models to satisfy a wide audience and you just added another choice. Nothing wrong with that; sounds like good business to me.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A Pantry?!?!

You're trying to make her head explode! I don't think she could choose between a half bath or a walk in pantry. I'd vote for the pantry. Great idea!

My minimum travel kit is my two facorite Taylor acoustic/electrics. They currently travel in the space between the bedroom slide and the bedroom cabinet on the floor. The problem is when we get where we're going they end up leaning against a wall.

I'm the music director of a county park in the coastal redwoods. I schedule a different group with widely varying styles every Saturday night during the summer. My group plays 3 of the weekends. On our weekends I have to pack sound equipment, lighting, and a pretty much a spare everything.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #18

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
You're trying to make her head explode! I don't think she could choose between a half bath or a walk in pantry. I'd vote for the pantry. Great idea!

My minimum travel kit is my two facorite Taylor acoustic/electrics. They currently travel in the space between the bedroom slide and the bedroom cabinet on the floor. The problem is when we get where we're going they end up leaning against a wall.

I'm the music director of a county park in the coastal redwoods. I schedule a different group with widely varying styles every Saturday night during the summer. My group plays 3 of the weekends. On our weekends I have to pack sound equipment, lighting, and a pretty much a spare everything.
Run Bryan Run!!! This guy's trying to get you back in the music business!!! Just kiddin' Muddypaws.......Bryan can just about play anything and sing too......in another lifetime back (when he had hair)!!!!!! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #19

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Hey Bryan,
Char and I were at the univeiling of this unit in Moriarity and had an opprutunity to talk to you and look it over. We loved the inovations including the bathroom(s), Rhino Lining roof. The entry door concept is off the chart inovative, but thats what we expect from Excel, outside the box thinking. We had not even noticied any head-banging potential. The fold up steps did detract from appearence a bit and the total width when fully opened with step and awning would not work for us. But for those who have room in their travels, this rig is a beauty! And I'm sure this concept will evolve even more. Excel owners love that you listen and respond. No company can be everything to everybody. Retiring this Friday and heading out for 7 months. Hope to make a stop at the Hershey show and say hello.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Brian... I will cite for you a line from a song (Coward of the County, Kenny Rogers)

"Ther's someone for everyone".

Well.. turns out this applies to trailers and motor homes as well.. As you said, You like the door in slide.. Some don't. I'm not sure if I would or not (but I live in a Class A)

Get someone (perhaps one of your alternate egos) to log in and say something like "Well, if that's what you think of it, buy something else.. I Like it"

A friend, who alas, finally ran out of choices, had what he called the law of requsite choices.

You can live, only so long as total choices is greater than fatal choices.

you.. Have generated yet another choice. this is a good thing.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:20 AM   #21

Excel Owners Club
I've found that many of us seniors in particular, have a hard time with change. The more different of what we're used to, the more we question or doubt it. I try very hard not to be like that. If we never change, we'd still be running around in covered wagons. We shouldn't forget our foundation, but always think how we can make it better (open minded!).

With that said, I think PI should continue to be innovative! A custom built-in wine cooler sounds like progress to me!!! I just can't stay too serious to long.......rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 08-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #22

We're TT people, not 5-ers. I like a lot of what I read on the Excel website but when I try and see what is listed under "Travel Trailers", I get directed to 5th wheel info. Does Excel really make travel trailers? It's nice to see someone come to a forum and openly talk about their product!

If Excel does make travel trailers, I wish we had known so we could have checked them out. Am disillusioned with all the substandard trailers out there that are so dysfunctional and destined to have many problems not too far down the road. BTDT already in just 2 seasons of owning 2 different TTs. It's such a common problem. It sounds like Excel is really taking the right approach. There's always improvements to be made, but it gets tiring when going to RV shows or to dealer's lots and it's the same 'ol stuff no matter what brand it is. Not many seem to pay attention to things that really matter and it's mostly fluff, pretty colors and lovely layouts. I wish trailer manufacturers (5th or TT) would tell you more about what's under the skin. Like on frames and suspensions for example. More photos and details on this would be great, like on the drop "Z" frame. Better attention to the needs of the aging RV owner population would help for those that end up with arthritis, back problems, etc. - ergonomics, easy to reach things, easy to get to, easy to open, easier to operate, etc...

Some trailers are just not well thought out. Have many pet peeves. On TVs, too often they slap them in a place where you can't see them from the sofa, dinette or chairs and if you can, you have to twist you neck around to view the screen. Or they don't tilt down and the screen is a blur of colors. Argh... Or upper cabinets that can't be reached without a tall ladder. Lights and fans that can only turned on/off by reaching to the ceiling. If you are height challenged, you are out of luck. Lots more and could go on.... Attention to things like this would really help and often you don't find them until you get the unit home.

Anyway, have already gotten carried away and better leave it at that. Will definitely look at an Excel product the next time we see one at a show or on a lot.

About that "other" forum, I've found the same thing! Some like to attack you and rip your skin off, just because. I don't go there much anymore. It's not fun and feels almost toxic.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #23

Excel Owners Club
Here's a link to the Excel TT. Click on the TT tab...I can't get it to link to the exact location. rockin'
Old 08-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #24

iRV2 No Limits Club
No matter what "we" think or say the true test will be the marketplace. If it such a good idea, it will sell, If it is not, then it won't..... simple as that.

Come back in six months and let us know how the numbers look.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #25

Excel Owners Club
That's a very true statement. "If it's such a good idea, it will sell, If it is not, then it won't..."

After designing units for over 20 years, I have to say I've never one time thought "This unit is a REAL DOG!!!! Let's build a bunch of them!" haha

I've always thought each new model offers something unique that a different model doesn't. Tradition holds that this year's #1 selling floorplan probably won't even be in our line-up 4 years from now.

We offer roughly 30 floorplans, most with one of four bathroom options... giving our family members over 120 choices to choose from.

One thing always holds true: Next year's models will be based on how well they sold this year. For every new model designed, an old model has to go and it's usually based on sales.

The 37SDF may not even make the cut next year... But then again.... maybe it will!!!!

Bryan
ExcelRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Here's a link to the Excel TT. Click on the TT tab...I can't get it to link to the exact location. rockin'
Got it now. The TT tab is way off to the right... Easy to miss. A little confusing because when you click on "Travel Trailer", you are taken to a page with 5 tabs to the left which are 5th wheels and one on the right for TTs (which then takes you to another page).
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Bryan

My boss once told me, when I mentioned something was hard, that if it were easy than anybody could do it. Your job isn't easy period. But the proof is in the bottom line and customer satisfaction numbers, not what is said on RV.Net or Here on iRV2. Companies that don't change and try new things in both design and processes get left behind. I believe your record stands on it's own. RV.NET has to be the rudest board I ever abandoned, and no loss to me.

So keep on pushing the envelope, embrace what works and learn from what doesn't.

Dick

BTW I own an Orphan, but my opinion is it wasn't the design that caused National to go under. Be careful out there, but explore.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:31 AM   #28

Wouldn't it be great if every idea we have turned out to be the 'next best thing' for the market we're in? I think some people like to bash innovation just for the sake of being in opposition to it. It's part of their makeup, there's no changing them, and we've all known someone like that. To be an innovator takes guts. It's the lifeblood of any good business or organization. It can be difficult because the possibility of failure exists and it's so much easier to be a naysayer.
One reason why I follow this forum is the straightforward, positive approach toward innovation that Excel takes toward their products. Keep up the good work, Bryan. One day you'll get to look back on your accomplishments with a whole lot of satisfaction.
87_Fixr is offline   Reply With Quote