Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
I just want to rant!

I just want to b$&#ch a little bit and since I know most of you I feel like I might get a "pass" here just once!

As many of you know, we had a very nice article in Trailer Life about our new "concept" unit, the Winslow D37SDF. I realize that this unit is not for everyone with the concept of having the entry door in the slide-out. That's why we created the exact same floorplan (D37IKF) with the door in the conventional location.

I'm very passionate about every aspect of our product, and when someone tells me they hate something about our units, it's like telling me I have ugly kids. But usually bite my tongue and keep smiling.

I'm usually pretty thick skinned about negative criticism as long as it's accurate. But after being in this industry nearly 35 years, it drives me nuts when self proclaimed know-it-alls make comments when they have no idea what they're talking about.

Soooo.... over on RV.net (where mfgr's are not allowed to post) there is a long stream of not only negative, but uninformed comments and it's so frustrating because I have to let all this inaccuracy go unanswered! UGH!!!!

Comments like:
* Foreheads are going to get whacked on the slide out trim/ceiling
* I would not have a slide Stair connected door. I can just see it coming loose on the road
* Dumb idea
* Butt Ugly!
* I can't believe the slide structure can be strong enough to withstand years of in and out traffic without issues. I could be wrong but I think it is a huge mistake.
* the designers of most new models are obviously not users of them.
* You cannot fit two chairs opposite each other. Poor design
* ... you may not be able to get to the half bath either without climbing over the center island.... or refer with the slides in. Why would Excel do this?

OK.. REALLY?!?!?! Like we wouldn't think of this stuff?

I welcome those with opinions that are contrary to mine. We all learn when we are forced to expand our thinking. But I just wish those who are quick to comment would at least be knowledgeable about the subject of which they are speaking...

OK, I have my fireproof underwear on so------- FLAME AWAY!!!

Bryan Tillett
President
Peterson Industries, Inc.
ExcelRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #2

Hi Bryan. Sometimes you have to take the bad with the good. I know some peope aren't tactful in the way the present something. Me personally I would ask the question of "Why did guys put something here vs. there" instead of "What the hell were you thinking with that"? I would like to get the backstory on why things are done instead of just griping about it. What makes sense to some people may not to others. Doesn't mean its wrong just different. So kudos to you and the company for pushing the limits even if everyone doesn't agree. Remember the 1st step is one you believe in and the 2nd one will be profound. Run with it.
Whatnobeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #3

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I know how you feel I get that way about people who are compelled to answer a thread and they they start with (I DON"T KNOW, BUT.........)
If you don't know than keep quite.
I call them Forum Junkies.
I looked at you product. BEAUTIFUL!
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Mr Tillett

I am not an Excell owner, but I can guarantee you that if I was looking to buy a 5th wheel, the Excel make would be right at the top of my list. All, or nearly all, I hear is positive remarks.

A famous man once said “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”. Isn't that still true?

What I really want to say is that I find it refreshing that Peterson Industries Inc have got the courage to be present on iRV2. I wish "my" manufacturer would "man up" and do this.

Respect to you Sir.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:53 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I left RV.net a long time ago because it seemed to me that a lot of their members are just grumpy old men.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Bryan,

Thanks for ranting......it is well deserved. On some of the what I'll call "general purpose" forums, I find a lot of opinions and advice that are thrown out there and not manufacturer or model specific. An example, is someone writes in asking for help cause their water heater doesn't work. You may have 6-8 pages of responses of advice and no where has the make or brand of WH been determined!!!

I've also noticed that negative comments breed more negative comments and vice versa.

Again this form of communication is great, but you really have to watch what information to take in. We all need to be cautious of what we take from the forums.

Again, I think you have a right to rant, and thank you for clearing this issue up. Most Excelers like the new model and congratulate you and your team for thinking out of the box. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You care, thus the aggravation. You have a good product - keep it up and don't stop trying to improve/innovate.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
I'm sure all the naysayers will not buy one. Those that like it will. Hopefully you'll have more buyers than bit¢her$ and make a nice run of it. Glad to see some new thinking on layouts.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Bryan,

Thanks for ranting......it is well deserved. On some of the what I'll call "general purpose" forums, I find a lot of opinions and advice that are thrown out there and not manufacturer or model specific. An example, is someone writes in asking for help cause their water heater doesn't work. You may have 6-8 pages of responses of advice and no where has the make or brand of WH been determined!!!

I've also noticed that negative comments breed more negative comments and vice versa.

Again this form of communication is great, but you really have to watch what information to take in. We all need to be cautious of what we take from the forums.

Again, I think you have a right to rant, and thank you for clearing this issue up. Most Excelers like the new model and congratulate you and your team for thinking out of the box. rockin'

Thick skin and asbestos bloomers are what you need!

Unhappy people will swarm to the internet to post their rants and grievances, but happy people are too busy enjoying their happiness to do that. Dig through the dirt long enough and you can extract a gem or two from forums. And kudos to Excel for trying something different.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm not in the market for a 5er but if I were it would be an Excel product. I've been thru quite a few of your units and they are top notch. Keep up the good work.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not for everybody

If there's anything in an RV that I can hit my head on I'll find it right away. (We call them 'Bonkers'). The door might be a problem for tall people, but I'm not one of them. I like the door there. I noticed that the steps go all the way to the ground. Wouldn't that stabilize them and take some of the stress off of the hangers? And make them more durable? Not less?

The location of the door would work great for our four footed greeters who feel it's their absolute greatest duty to run to the door and block the path every time someone visits. On the other hand one of them is already having trouble getting up the steps into our Bounder and I'm afraid the hight of the door and number of steps would be an issue for her.

I could do without the half bath and might prefer the W/D or a closet there. (make it optional?) I travel with several guitars and it's always a chore finding safe places for them to travel. The DW disagrees and says our next RV will have an extra bathroom for the 2 times a year we might need it.

We've looked at a fair number of fifth wheels and one of biggest things that nixed ones we really liked was that retracted slides blocked access to large areas of the RV. Some of them even required the kitchen slide be out to open the refer! That was a deal killer for us.

A second door would be a real plus. But not many fivers seem to have them.

My mom always said that if you gave a pony to 'some' people thay'd complain because they had to shovel it's droppings, and others you could throw into a room full of horse-droppings (I'm paraphrasing) and they would be exstatic because they 'just know' there's a pony in there for them.

There's a lot of 'keyboard warriors' on every site these days. Folks who think their opinions matter more than everyone else's. Or even that their opinions are fact! But if you can stand to winnow through all the crap that should be ignored maybe there's a few good ideas to be found?

Oh, I almost forgot! Rhino roof! If it's half as durable as the reviews say you made the right choice.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Thanks for your input Mudd and others ....

I knew coming into this project that it wouldn't be for everybody! No floorplan is. That's why we have 30 different models...

As for the w/d instead of the 2nd bath. I have a deal working right now that they want to use that as a H~U~G~E walk-in pantry with floor to ceiling cabinets in an "L" shape. That would be an excellent place for your music equipment. (What kind of guitar?)

Others have suggested using it for an office - utility room/mud/pet room. We're very flexible that way.

The bottom of the door height is the same height as it is in the conventional location. The interior ceiling height in the slide-out is 6' - 6". Plenty tall for MOST people. The steps are wider and have supports on the ground.
ExcelRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #13

that is one of the things on why i sold off my company just ppl dont care any more or feel they should get so much for nothing they dont under stand this stuff has to move and stop on the road and if they seen how a real airplane was made .. they would be like you added that much to make it strong

truth be told i have not fond a RV that i have liked so i stop looking and just made my own motorhome

i am the guy that dont like Tvs in side walls for rain to come in year latter
2 bathrooms is over kill when you would never really use it
but i do like the door in the slide
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:02 PM   #14

DW and I actually just spoke to your factory today to discuss a HUGE innovation. I found out, quite by accident, that you offer Rhino Lining Roofs, and are the first manufacturer to do so. I ran the aftermarket parts department of a major dealership years ago and was VERY impressed with the waterproofness and durability of Rhino products. I had jokingly told my wife that when we buy our used Excel, we should just get the roof "Rhino-lined" and then have zero worries about leaks.

I visited your website because we had narrowed down our choices for our coming full time 5er to Excel, Travel Supreme, NuWa, Carriage or Teton, even though several of these are now orphans. Due to our budget, and knowledge of rvs from a lifetime of camping, we know that full timing puts stresses on units that most people don't think about. Long story short, when I hit your site, there was a window with the story on Rhino, and the statement that you would also do factory installs on ANY RV!!

If people don't understand Peterson's desire to remain on the leading edge of design and incorporating new technology, even after the decades of building RV's, then let those idiots tool down the road in their rust buggies and fall through the floors. Keep up the innovation, and thanks for being present here.

Also, even though I told both your receptionist and your technician on voicemail that I would NOT be buying a new Excel, that my question was on a 10 year old model, I still had a callback in less than half an hour. And your technician also spent 20 min advising me what to watch for in purchasing an older rig. Want to talk customer service, innovation, and quality? For my money, it's Excel. You make me proud to be a Kansan!