Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2015, 08:10 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Incorrect Reading of Black Tank with SeeLevel Gauges

Well, after 11 years of full timing I finally started getting a goofy reading on the SeeLevel gauges on the black tank (had lots of issues on the grey tank readings-another story). Seems about 6 months ago, when I'd empty and do my 3 tank flush and then add back in some base water, I'd get a reading of like 25-35%. Then after adding some more water and waste the reading would go back down to the proper reading of 15% and worked correctly all the way to full. At first I just chose to ignore it, hoping that more flushing it'd get better. Then came the chemicals and numerous power flushes. Then I filled the bowl with water several times and flush with an empty tank. Nothing was changing the situation. I finally thought that maybe the rear wall of the tank, which contains the factory installed flusher and also the tank gauge sensor, may have some paper or ? on it giving me the false reading. Apparently the factory flusher can't get that wall very well. Anyhow I got a toilet wand by Valterra from CW ($12.59). I also made a toilet ball valve guard to hold the valve open while I worked on spraying down the inside of the tank good. CW wanted $9 for their version of the tool. I made one from a 2" PCV coupler ($.86) and then installed a couple of 1/4" carriage bolt to keep the piece from falling into the tank. Worked like a charm. After 45 minutes of flushing with the wand and tank flusher, it appears the problem is fixed. Yay!!!! Don't forget to "sanitize" your equipment after use! rockin'

Hope this will help someone facing this condition in the future. rockin'

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toilet Wand and Seal Chock 001 (Copy).jpg
Views:	114
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	112550   Click image for larger version

Name:	Toilet Wand and Seal Chock 002 (Copy).jpg
Views:	110
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	112551  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Toilet Wand and Seal Chock 003 (Copy).jpg
Views:	110
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	112552   Click image for larger version

Name:	Toilet Wand and Seal Chock 004 (Copy).jpg
Views:	102
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	112553  

2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2015, 08:24 AM   #2

New Horizons Owners Club
good post. we had a similar situation with our black tank. finally the wire connection broke at the sensor... we have a clean black tank now :-)
Pullin' Chocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 02:05 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Smart idea, Rockin'. You're my improvising hero.

My SeeLevel gauges are not that accurate at the lower readings. Seems the adding of water after the flush seems to confuse the sensor. The grey tank gauge never reads below 4%. Could be a problem with the drain valve not letting out all the water. So I add a lot of antifreeze to the grey tank when winterizing.

We do not add paper to the black tank. When I grew up in East Texas the toilet paper would clog up the septic tank and require a costly visit from the sewer suckers. So my dad said no more TP in the toilet. Back then we used a diaper pail with plastic bag linings to dispose of the soiled paper. The wife and I use a Diaper Genie in the trailer. Works great with little odor.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 03:40 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Carl,

If your grey sensor has done the 4% thing when empty since new, I'd guess they sensor was installed incorrectly. If the sensor is set too low and starts to make the turn on the tank it'll give that kinda reading.

Yeah, I hear ya on using paper in the black tank. We only do what you do (get it....do-do! Ha!) when in a place with no sewer. It amazes me of how long the black tank last when no paper is introduced. We can go a week on it with no paper! But Ms. Donna doesn't like to do it on a regular basis. She tells me "I didn't do this lifestyle as a camper"......I want to RV!!!! Later, rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 11-22-2015, 04:24 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Rockin, I think you know your sh**.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 05:01 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Thanks still, that's the nicest thing said to me today!!!
Old 12-13-2015, 09:48 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Sensors??

Tom, weren't you the one who told me you just reach down the drain, and when your hand gets wet it's time to dump the tanks??

2005 Forrest River Charleston 400TS DP
D and J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:01 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
D&J!!!! Long time no hear from!!! We think about ya often. Yes, I still have my halon extinguisher on the refer!!! Thanks to you! rockin'
Old 12-15-2015, 08:22 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Right back at you, Tom ( as far as the thoughts go)

We just signed contracts on our house in WA, moved into a 40 foot class A, and are re-locating back to the east coast.

We hit the road tomorrow, but too late in the season to just go east, so we have to go south then east. Too much of that white stuff in the passes

Doug

2005 Forrest River Charleston 400TS DP
D and J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 05:12 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Soooo......Rockin and CarlnJanis, after reading the post about inaccurate sensors, etc., and no paper in the black tank, (a practice we adhere to) and after thinking about it for awhile ( color me slow), it occurs to me in that situation it makes no difference which type/brand of paper you use. Tree leaves if it floats your boat.
RET FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:33 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RET FF View Post
Soooo......Rockin and CarlnJanis, after reading the post about inaccurate sensors, etc., and no paper in the black tank, (a practice we adhere to) and after thinking about it for awhile ( color me slow), it occurs to me in that situation it makes no difference which type/brand of paper you use. Tree leaves if it floats your boat.
Tree leaves, too rough. Water soaked corn cobs would work, but they are rough on the diaper genie. So we use the same TP in the trailer as we do at home. I like my TP soft, not like that 80-grit TP the Army supplied. I think it could take auto paint down to the sheet metal.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:11 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Amen on the 80 grit! I think the navy had the same supplier/contract. As Rock'n said, the black tank last longer with no paper and I have noticed it empties and flushes faster and " cleaner "( maybe, who knows?).
It gives me cold chills when I see someone pull in, make hookup's , then open BOTH gray and black and walk away. Can you say " headache in the making" ?
RET FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 01:26 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RET FF View Post
It gives me cold chills when I see someone pull in, make hookup's , then open BOTH gray and black and walk away. Can you say " headache in the making" ?
That's what I call, "Making a mountain out of a poop hill".
Old 12-19-2015, 01:46 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
The above comments are too funny for a subject that touches all of us.

We have been using the cheap Walmart brand dishwasher power for years. Up until recently it has worked well. Now the tank tends to stick at 1/4 after dumping. I think part of the problem is that we move ever 2 to three months instead of monthly as in the past. The tank can't slosh the cleaning solution.

I am going to use a (dissolved in hot water) coffee mug of the power now, just after dumping, and again in a week. We also use a mug of dissolved backing soda to control odors.

I hope you get good results with this method.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and Happy Trails to all.

Rick Y

Tags
black tank, gauges, tank