Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #1

Increasing # of Excel Dealers?

With Carriage recently going out of business, I imagine it's possible many of those dealers could pick up the Excel line. Has anyone heard of chatter on this topic? It sure would be nice to increase the number of Excel dealers around the US for warranty work while traveling.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2012, 08:48 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
I dunno. We asked PI a week ago about a dealer near us so we could see a new one. Haven't even heard back yet.
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce and Jenna View Post
I dunno. We asked PI a week ago about a dealer near us so we could see a new one. Haven't even heard back yet.
If y'all are gonna be anywhere near Oregon early March you can see my unit at the dealer. According to PI construction should be complete third week of Feb and should arrive in Oregon a few days later.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:17 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuktu78 View Post
If y'all are gonna be anywhere near Oregon early March you can see my unit at the dealer. According to PI construction should be complete third week of Feb and should arrive in Oregon a few days later.
Thanks very much for the offer. Sutton in Eugene I assume?

We'll still be in Tucson, then in central CA. When you goin from there?
Old 01-22-2012, 08:40 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
It would be GREAT if they ended up with some more dealers. When we were at the factory this fall, we asked Brian about dealers in the SW, and there are none. (Moriarity comes the closest-but we were interested in the WARM southwest)

It is really strange, because here in Yuma, you can find a dealer with just about every brand of fiver made and sold by a dealer, with Excel being the exception. To make it worse for us, we had a deal come together for a new rear kitchen demo, the dollars on the trade and everything worked. But the dealer was in Iowa, and we were already paid and in a park here in Yuma. Season tickets already purchased for shows here inthe park and downtown etc etc. It would have required us to travel to Iowa in the middle of the winter-with good weather probably three weeks by the time we had PDI and fixes etc, and got back.

We tried to get the dealer to let us make the purchase, and then we would come up in early April for delivery and turn over the trade etc. From the dealers perspective, the problem was he wanted our unit on the lot for the price he was giving us, so he could sell it. April was just too far down the road I guess, NADA would be another year lower etc. Understandable from their perspective.

So that became the "deal breaker", as neither my wife or I wanted to go through all that. They would deliver, but being over 1500 miles it added nearly 5000 to the price, and defeated the "price being right". But if there would have been a dealer anywhere down here that would have done that deal, southern Cal or Az, we would be in a new rig right now.

My DW became philosohical about it-"if it was meant to be it would have happened". I guess she is probably right.
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Thanks very much for the offer. Sutton in Eugene I assume?

We'll still be in Tucson, then in central CA. When you goin from there?
Yes, but I will be bringing it back to central CA where I live. However, I start making my way to the in East Coast early April so the Excel will be here for only about 2-3 weeks depending on when I can go pick it up. PM me if you'll be in my neighborhood middle of March to early April and we can see about meeting up...who knows maybe we can convince Rockin' to show up and bring some wine .
Old 01-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuktu78 View Post
Yes, but I will be bringing it back to central CA where I live. However, I start making my way to the in East Coast early April so the Excel will be here for only about 2-3 weeks depending on when I can go pick it up. PM me if you'll be in my neighborhood middle of March to early April and we can see about meeting up...who knows maybe we can convince Rockin' to show up and bring some wine .
Thanks. Will letcha know.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #8

Getting the factory is less than satisfying. We are full timers. I checked the factory web site to find out if there are any dealers near our usual destinations so we could at least see a couple, no luck. I called to ask about a dealer list so I could check to see if our route went by any and the lady refused to provide one. Her reason was simple. They do not want customers to contact multiple dealers so you can get a "bidding war" going between them. Since we are not yet in the market to select one yet that was premature. I also find it to be a bit more mercenary than to my liking.

We had an Excel several years ago and wanted to see if they would be a good fit for us now. I don't think that's going to happen if I have to do a state by state search in the factory zip code directory.
Old Tanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:41 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tanker View Post
Getting the factory is less than satisfying. We are full timers. I checked the factory web site to find out if there are any dealers near our usual destinations so we could at least see a couple, no luck. I called to ask about a dealer list so I could check to see if our route went by any and the lady refused to provide one. Her reason was simple. They do not want customers to contact multiple dealers so you can get a "bidding war" going between them. Since we are not yet in the market to select one yet that was premature. I also find it to be a bit more mercenary than to my liking.

We had an Excel several years ago and wanted to see if they would be a good fit for us now. I don't think that's going to happen if I have to do a state by state search in the factory zip code directory.
OT -

Try this list of Excel dealers. I hope it helps.

Safe travels.
Jim & Bona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
A couple of former Carriage dealers, I spoke to were working to pick up the DRV (Doubletree) line.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
With the recent improvement in the business climate, we are currently in the process of adding a few dealers. Unlike times past, we plan to increase at a controlled pace and be diligent in our search to set up dealers who share the same goals as we do. Even though the industry is coming back, getting a new dealer isn't an easy task.

For starters, trying to get a dealer who recently represented a manufacturer who's gone under is usually a long process. They often got "stuck" with product that they have to sell at distressed prices in order to free up their floor plan money. Of course, once bitten-twice shy. They are understandably very cautious about forming a partnership with another manufacturer they know little about.

If we try to get a big dealer with multiple salespeople, it more often than not ends up in failure. A dealership with 6 salespeople, for example.... The salespeople use an "UP" system. Each salesperson gets an opportunity for a sale with every 6th prospect that walks in the door. They are usually more interested in getting a sale TODAY and molding a customer to the product they have that is designed for a quick sale, rather than to fit the right coach to the customer.

As Excel family members know.... "ain't it pretty? Wanna buy it?" doesn't work with Excel. Unless our dealer is willing to take the time to explain what makes Excel a great value, many potential customers can't see the added value for the additional cost of our product.
Excel customers sometimes take months (or years) to finally make their purchase.

We have a new dealer in Cedar Creek, TX.... Campers Direct America. We are currently in discussions with a dealer in Colorado, Wisconsin, South Dakota, Texas, and Canada. I have been to each of their dealerships and like what I see. Now I just have to convince them that Peterson Industries would be a good fit for them.

California and Arizona dealers have taken a beating over the past few years. Many of them aren't fiscally healthy enough to take on a new line right now....

Please bear with us as we rebuild our dealer network. The RV industry is on its way back but it's coming back slowly.

We are solid and have a good order backlog..... Thanks to your confidence in us.

Respectfully
Bryan Tillett
President
ExcelRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:14 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcelRVGuy View Post
With the recent improvement in the business climate, we are currently in the process of adding a few dealers. Unlike times past, we plan to increase at a controlled pace and be diligent in our search to set up dealers who share the same goals as we do. Even though the industry is coming back, getting a new dealer isn't an easy task.

For starters, trying to get a dealer who recently represented a manufacturer who's gone under is usually a long process. They often got "stuck" with product that they have to sell at distressed prices in order to free up their floor plan money. Of course, once bitten-twice shy. They are understandably very cautious about forming a partnership with another manufacturer they know little about.

If we try to get a big dealer with multiple salespeople, it more often than not ends up in failure. A dealership with 6 salespeople, for example.... The salespeople use an "UP" system. Each salesperson gets an opportunity for a sale with every 6th prospect that walks in the door. They are usually more interested in getting a sale TODAY and molding a customer to the product they have that is designed for a quick sale, rather than to fit the right coach to the customer.

As Excel family members know.... "ain't it pretty? Wanna buy it?" doesn't work with Excel. Unless our dealer is willing to take the time to explain what makes Excel a great value, many potential customers can't see the added value for the additional cost of our product.
Excel customers sometimes take months (or years) to finally make their purchase.

We have a new dealer in Cedar Creek, TX.... Campers Direct America. We are currently in discussions with a dealer in Colorado, Wisconsin, South Dakota, Texas, and Canada. I have been to each of their dealerships and like what I see. Now I just have to convince them that Peterson Industries would be a good fit for them.

California and Arizona dealers have taken a beating over the past few years. Many of them aren't fiscally healthy enough to take on a new line right now....

Please bear with us as we rebuild our dealer network. The RV industry is on its way back but it's coming back slowly.

We are solid and have a good order backlog..... Thanks to your confidence in us.

Respectfully
Bryan Tillett
President
Very well said Bryan. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on this subject. Things aren't always as easy and simple as they may seem initially. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Bryan is so right! It took char and I four years to pull the trigger and buy an Excel. As a matter of fact, a freind of mine that I was spousing off to about Excel and PI bought before me. Then the bagging rolls swithed. But I always knew I wanted an Excel but had to wait on the DW to walk into "Hers" and say this is the one buy it Bill!
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcelRVGuy View Post
Respectfully
Bryan Tillett
President
Bryan,

Just FYI, LazyDays, a big RV dealer in Florida, just opened a large dealership in Tucson, pouring a buncha money into refurbishing the sales and service facility and holding monthly events. They must have confidence in AZ. Not suggesting PI contact them tho, based on your desire to stay away from dealers with multiple lines.

Bye.

Tags
excel