Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2013, 04:25 PM   #15

Excel Owners Club
Without getting into my usual long drawn out jibber-jabber. Since the issue moves from truck to truck...ie Ralph's Ford.....I'd say one of 2 things are going on here. The nose is light/tail heavy.......or the Demco pinbox has an internal issue. My guess would be the nose light. Is the rig empty? Run over to a Cat Scale and weigh it real quick and see what you have. My nose is 3860# loaded. GR like the nose heavy....both my last Excels with Demco GR chattered/chucked a bit empty. Got all better with load.....my usual BS...just abbreviated. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #16

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Tom, what about the 2-3 inch gap/space he mentioned?
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:10 PM   #17

The trailer is empty as delivered, it does have the hydralift on the back (no motorcycle). It is still a bit nose high even with the GR set to the middle of the three positions and the B&W all the way to the lowest setting.

Thanks to Russell for inserting the video. There is no vertical motion between the GR and the hitch itself. That vertical motion is contained to the GR, what I would call the jack plate (wrong terminology?) which articulates in the vertical axis (securely attached to the B&W hitch plate) and the bottom of the GR box. At the beginning of the video the bottom of the GR box is up off of the jack plate and then settles down. At the end of the video you can see the bottom of the GR box lift up off of it's jack plate and then drops more abruptly. This motion continues like this at all stops and on some accelerations. In stop and go traffic it's very noticeable.

Ralph at RV sales has contacted Ralph at PI and they are on it. They also suggested a reading at the scales. I will report when I hear more. Again, may be this is normal movement for the GR, it just seems like the constant pounding would translate possible fatigue to the systems in play here.

thanks for all your responses and not flaming the new guy............yet
Old 06-24-2013, 09:28 PM   #18

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by swJay View Post
thanks for all your responses and not flaming the new guy............yet
At least I'm suggesting.....light in the front and not light in the loafers!!! Oh my......I can't say that anymore!!! Sorry...... I'm not signing my name to this one......
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 06-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #19

Excel Owners Club
I thought that PI was limiting the lift to 33 ft and under units but I see yours is a 37ft? Hmm!
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:59 PM   #20

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
I thought that PI was limiting the lift to 33 ft and under units but I see yours is a 37ft? Hmm!
I noticed the same thing........but you know me......mums the word!
Old 06-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #21

PI allowed the hydra lift with the stipulation that loading and unloading only occurs when the slides are stowed for trailering. They said the frame is made for it and trailering would be normal

PI has sent the video to Demco so I should hear shortly on their analysis
Old 06-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #22

solution to jolting

RV Sales confirmed that the Demco Ride Glide was not assembled properly, two bolts were not in place properly (not the primary set of three). I will pick up the trailer this weekend and will confirm the solution.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #23

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
RV Sales confirmed that the Demco Ride Glide was not assembled properly, two bolts were not in place properly (not the primary set of three). I will pick up the trailer this weekend and will confirm the solution.
Glad they found the problem!

I was thinking about you while towing this weekend. I watched my GR and did nothing like yours. I'll sleep better now.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #24

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Please report back on your Demco Glide Ride.

Did they get it fixed?

What was the problem?

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #25

yes, it has been fixed. No more jolting. A much more pleasing towing experience.

Still doesn't explain how it was towed all the way to NM and the driver didn't mention any issue?
Old 08-09-2013, 08:20 AM   #26

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
yes, it has been fixed. No more jolting. A much more pleasing towing experience.

Still doesn't explain how it was towed all the way to NM and the driver didn't mention any issue?
What was the problem with it? rockin'
Old 08-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #27

the problem was that the Ride Glide was not fully assembled by DEMCO. There are two pins/bolts(?) that were not engaged thus allowing the ride glide PLATE to pivot vertical as opposed to moving horizontally. This then allowed the entire pin box to lift up consistent with the motion seen in the video that Russel attached previously. I understand this doesn't happen often (assembly issue of the RG by DEMCO) but it has happened in the past.

I'm sure one of you experienced RV'ers would have immediately noticed that the set up was just wrong from the onset and would have never left the dealer lot. Why the driver that brought it from PI to the dealer didn't say something still perplexes me.

In any case, all is well. Now if I can only find the time to take this beautiful house on wheels into the great outdoors.............

thanks to all for your input
Old 08-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #28

Excel Owners Club
Thanks for the reply Jay. Happy RVing to ya!!! I know you'll enjoy the Excel. rockin'