Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2008, 07:31 AM   #1
JLS

Excel Owners Club
We have purchased an Excel 26TRW, maybe. When I looked through the Excel brochure last night I discovered that the standard king pin height is listed at 43 1/2". The height of my Chevy 3/4 ton HD is 55" at the top of the tailgate. That is only 12 1/2" from the bottom of the trailer to the top of the truck bed not counting the height of the king pin,which leaves little or no clearance between the trailer and the truck. Even with an axle flip I would only have about 4" clearance. Has anyone else had this problem? I can't believe that PI would be able to sell trailers at that height given the height of 3/4 ton pickups today. My neighbor's Ford is even higher than my Chevy.

2008 Excel R26TRW
JLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2008, 07:31 AM   #2
JLS

Excel Owners Club
We have purchased an Excel 26TRW, maybe. When I looked through the Excel brochure last night I discovered that the standard king pin height is listed at 43 1/2". The height of my Chevy 3/4 ton HD is 55" at the top of the tailgate. That is only 12 1/2" from the bottom of the trailer to the top of the truck bed not counting the height of the king pin,which leaves little or no clearance between the trailer and the truck. Even with an axle flip I would only have about 4" clearance. Has anyone else had this problem? I can't believe that PI would be able to sell trailers at that height given the height of 3/4 ton pickups today. My neighbor's Ford is even higher than my Chevy.

2008 Excel R26TRW
Old 02-25-2008, 08:13 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
If you already have your hitch installed, measure from ground to top of the hitch. I also have a 2500HD and the top plate of my hitch is approx. 49" off the ground. It will be less with the weight on it. The 43.5" pin height should be fine.

2008 Excel E33TKE,'08 K3500 DRW, B&W Hitch
evan0810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:56 AM   #4

JLS, The 43 1/2" is standard height as you have some adjustment like one or two holes on the spring shackles I beleive their called as well as your pin box to give a little more height. We adjusted those two things for our 06 chevy 1 ton dually 4x4 and now are just a little nose high and about 8" of bed rail clearance with no problems yet and tows real nice. Have fun

2007 Excel, 30RSO, Demco Glide Ride, B&W Companion.
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:11 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Our F-350 4X4 DRW TowBoss has a loadfloor height of 35.3 inches, we have the hitch in the full down position and the pin box in the middle hole to maintain 6 inches of clearance between the cargo box rail. Even with this arrangement we are still just slightly nose high. I don't see how a 55 inch loadfloor height could possibly work. Raising a fiver to accommodate that tall of a tow vehicle would make the trailer disproportionably tall and very unstable. The problem is not the height of the Excel, but rather the tow vehicle. MTCW

Bangs, Texas
Highgturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:23 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Bob,
I think they're referencing a 55" height to the top of the bed/tailgate rails?
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The height of my Chevy 3/4 ton HD is 55" at the top of the tailgate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 02-25-2008, 11:13 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ChiefJohn:
Bob,
I think they're referencing a 55" height to the top of the bed/tailgate rails?
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The height of my Chevy 3/4 ton HD is 55" at the top of the tailgate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My mistake. I assumed he was talking loadbed height, that's the height you work with for the hitch. The other critical dimension is between the cargo box rail and the bottom of the trailer, all the time trying to get as near level as possible.

Bangs, Texas
Highgturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:43 AM   #8
JLS

Excel Owners Club
Thanks to all for your input. Things have changed for the better as the day has gone by. It just so happens that the service manager at our dealership has the same truck and the same hitch that I do. He brought his truck into the shop and hitched it up to the trailer. He then called me with the good news. The axels on the trailer are adjustable and he will have to move them one hole. Also the pin box will have to be adjusted by one hole and the trailer will be completely level with about seven inches of clearance at the truck bed. Wow.

2008 Excel R26TRW