RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:50 PM   #1
JDT

Leak

My new mattress is requiring a redo of the bed platform. The box springs Peterson used was actually 2 pieces. A small section was attached to the slide floor at the head of the bed and the larger section was hinged to access the under bed storage.

When I removed the small section of box springs next to the slide wall I found some water staining in the bottom corners. No rot, just staining. Anything special I need to look for on the outside edges of the slide? Obviously had a leak but the corners of the slide look sealed.

JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2019, 08:35 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Sorry I miss your post. I had some staining too on our rig. Seems that area gets alot condensation as I recall. When it cold outside and the furnace is running, you can put your hand down there and it's cold and damp. I noticed it on all 3 of our Excels. I wouldn't be too concerned, especially if you see the slide wipers look good there.

2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:45 PM   #3
JDT

Thanks, Tom. I hope that is all it is. I did see some rust around one of the screws on the bottom edge of the slide. I tried to remove it and it was completely rusted and broke. The one next to it is fine. I am going to do a complete inspection and caulk all the screws when I get a chance. Since we keep it in our rv garage when not on the road I'm hoping any damage is limited as it's exposure is generally only 3 or 4 months a year. But this is our 8th season with it and that would mean more than 2 years worth of sitting outside.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:02 PM   #4

Leak

I guess I will look to see if I have the same thing. If so then I am going with nothing to worry about because it will just be to big of a coincidence. When you say caulk all the screws, do you caulk around the screws, or back them out, caulk and tighten? There’s has to be a thousand screws! No wonder this is a retired guys hobby!
Masch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:46 PM   #5
JDT

Mike, I will not remove the screws, just dab some caulk over them. My experience has been they sometimes don't go back in properly so taking the easy way.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:59 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I own a 2012 37 IKE Excel. back in 2016 I experienced severe water damage around all 3 slides. The long living room/kitchen slide being the worst. Apparently when the unit was built, Excel failed to caulk the C channel frame above the slides. This allowed water to enter and was held in the C channel as there was no place for it to drain. The RV shop where I bought it refused to repair, even though I agreed to not hold them liable. Took to another shop that wanted to cut the entire side out of the camper and big $$ to do it. I'm talking $40,000 plus. So I repaired it myself. Took me all winter and help from my friends, but got it done. I completely replaced the header over the living/kitchen and bedroom slides and repaired the other. Wonder if this major manufacture oversight caused Excel to go under..
weinricw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:07 AM   #7
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinricw View Post
I own a 2012 37 IKE Excel. back in 2016 I experienced severe water damage around all 3 slides. The long living room/kitchen slide being the worst. Apparently when the unit was built, Excel failed to caulk the C channel frame above the slides. This allowed water to enter and was held in the C channel as there was no place for it to drain. The RV shop where I bought it refused to repair, even though I agreed to not hold them liable. Took to another shop that wanted to cut the entire side out of the camper and big $$ to do it. I'm talking $40,000 plus. So I repaired it myself. Took me all winter and help from my friends, but got it done. I completely replaced the header over the living/kitchen and bedroom slides and repaired the other. Wonder if this major manufacture oversight caused Excel to go under..
I know this was a problem I read about early on here. I re-caulked every seam I could find and check for cracks or breaks in the caulking at least twice a year. My opinion is this had nothing to do with the demise of PI. I think the economic factors of competing with lower priced units with more glitz and bling was a major factor but it could have been something else. If you notice there are not many high quality reasonably priced manufacturers who build their own frames left.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:15 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All above could be correct. Another consideration is the condition of EPDM roofing at the outside and inside corners of the slides. On our 2007 30RSO I found those areas had worn through the roofing in very small spots. I used strips of Etherbond tape and rebuilt those corners on all three slides. We have never seen any sign of leakage or serious condensation, but we are mostly in the southwest. I also go over the entire rig a few times year looking for any caulk issues. If found I typically clean the old caulk out for a length and redo it. I use both a utility knife and a razor paint scrapper to remove the caulk and rinse down the area with acetone to remove the caulk film residue.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:52 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Be very careful using acetone where you have decals. It will melt the decal material.
dw8ite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:28 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good point on the acetone and decals. I only use acetone over unpainted fiberglass. No idea what it may do on any variety of paint used on various RVs.

rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak