Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2008, 11:41 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a Whirlpool front-loader washing machine and separate dryer in our enclosed bath.

The last 2 or 3 times I've done washing, I've noticed water in the pan in which the washer sits.

Somewhere it's sprung a leak, and I imagine the only way to get to it is by taking the washer out...which, I guess, means that the toilet also has to be taken out because I can see absolutely no way of getting the washer out with the toilet in place!

Has anyone had to have their washer repaired? And, if so, where did you take it...I would imagine that not just any RV service center is equipped to repair washing machines?!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2008, 11:41 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a Whirlpool front-loader washing machine and separate dryer in our enclosed bath.

The last 2 or 3 times I've done washing, I've noticed water in the pan in which the washer sits.

Somewhere it's sprung a leak, and I imagine the only way to get to it is by taking the washer out...which, I guess, means that the toilet also has to be taken out because I can see absolutely no way of getting the washer out with the toilet in place!

Has anyone had to have their washer repaired? And, if so, where did you take it...I would imagine that not just any RV service center is equipped to repair washing machines?!
Old 12-24-2008, 06:21 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Linda,

We had a minor problem with our Whirlpool washing machine early on (turned out to be a hose was kinked during factory installation). Anyway, PI referred us to Whirlpool Customer Service who, in turn, referred us to a local appliance repair service which happened to have experience in accessing appliances in RVs. In fact the Service Tech did manage to get the washer out enough to access the supply hose connections. I believe he was prepared to remove the machine if necessary. Suggest you call Whirlpool for the name of local repair source.

Have you checked your hose connections and that filter screen gadget at the lower right front corner of the machine for leaks?

HTHs. Happy Holidays!
Jim & Bona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 06:45 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim & Bona:
Have you checked your hose connections and that filter screen gadget at the lower right front corner of the machine for leaks? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The hot water and cold water hose connections are above the washer and to the left...those are fine, and that's not where the leak is coming from. I cannot access the hoses, nor is there anyway to even see them, as they disappear to the back of the washer. I've been using this washer for almost 2 years now, so I doubt very much it's something like a kinked hose.

And, yes, I check and drain the filter every once in awhile...have done so twice in the last week or so.

The leak is coming from somewhere underneath the washer since the water is confined to the metal pan that the washer sits in. I suppose the leak *could* be coming from the hoses in the back behind the washer, but there's no way to tell without taking the washer out.

The washer *might* be able to be moved forward a few inches (before coming in contact with the toilet) to get a mirror behind the back to check, but there's no way anyone could actually access the back without totally removing it from the cabinet...and in order to do that, the toilet has to be removed. And sliding the washer forward would mean first lifting it up enough to clear the metal pan...something we're not even going to attempt...that washer is heavy!
Old 12-25-2008, 11:09 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Linda,
The guys on here taught me to check the simplest things first and that would be the rubber hose washers at both ends. Washer hoses have female connectors at both ends both of which contain rubber washers. I will bet you a root beer float that the rubber washer on the hot water connection at the bottom of your machine is leaking. A $0.25 washer may be your problem.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:07 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
That could very well be, but how do we access the back of the washer without taking the toilet out? There is only about 16" between the front of the washer and the toilet. Even if we were able to lift the washing machine up over the lip of the metal pan in which it sits, 16" would not give us enough room to reach the back of the machine, particularly if the connection is at the bottom of the washer.

I just hate the thought of taking the toilet out! It sounds like there's no way around it, though...guess we'll have to clean out the black tank really, really well before tackling this job!
Old 12-25-2008, 02:13 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Linda,
Can the front of the washer be lifted over the plate lip and then the washer tilted (rotated) forward using the bottom front of the washer as the pivot point? This might give enough access to the hose fittings to see if a loose fitting is the problem.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 05:08 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Linda,

In our case the problem was a kinked hose. I seriously doubth that this is your problem. I only mentioned that as being the cause of our problem as a point of information (obviously not pertinent here).

In our coach the clearance between the front of the toilet and the washer is actually a bit less than 16". Note that the kinked hot water hose was at the rear bottom of the washer. The repairman was a wiry little guy who lifted the washer out of the pan and brought it forward to bet access to the rear. Whether or not he tilted it forward to get access to the connection, I don't know. However, he did manage to remove and replace the hose without completely removing the waher from the cabinet, and not removing the toilet.

Suggest you look for a really strong and wiry little person.
Jim & Bona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 06:33 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Suggest you look for a really strong and wiry little person. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it's warm where your at....I'm your guy!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:09 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
If it is not a hose or washer it is probably a bad seal in the pump. These are usually the first to start leaking. I have seen (I"m retired Whirlpool dealer), where sharp objects left in clothing have punctured a hose from the drum to the pump once or twice. I too would recommend a local Whirlpool servicer be contacted if it is not something you can handle. The washer can be removed and installed over the toilet if need be, by tilting it and two people handling it.
Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 06:18 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GaryKD:
Can the front of the washer be lifted over the plate lip and then the washer tilted (rotated) forward using the bottom front of the washer as the pivot point? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't know...guess we'll give it a try, probably when we get down to the Tucson area (we're leaving our current location on Sunday). If the hose goes into the washer at the top, then it would probably be fairly easy to check out and change the washers.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:29 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV Wizard:
If it is not a hose or washer it is probably a bad seal in the pump. These are usually the first to start leaking. I have seen (I"m retired Whirlpool dealer), where sharp objects left in clothing have punctured a hose from the drum to the pump once or twice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yikes! I hope it's not that! That would certainly mean that the washer would have to be taken out.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I too would recommend a local Whirlpool servicer be contacted if it is not something you can handle. The washer can be removed and installed over the toilet if need be, by tilting it and two people handling it.
Good luck and keep us posted. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If we can check the hoses and that doesn't appear to be the problem, we'll have to contact Whirlpool to see if there's a service person near where we'll be. Maybe it's possible, but knowing how tight the fit is between the washer and the toilet, I just don't see how two people can get in there to lift it out (there's a dryer mounted 11" above the washer, too, further complicating taking the washer out).

I'll let y'all know what happens. Thanks for your help!
Old 12-26-2008, 08:31 PM   #13

Linda, we have an 04 FLE with washer/dryer combo in our bathroom. Ours is a Whirlpool top loading machine but we recently had a leak behind our washer that turned out to be a small hose, (appx 8") that had split under the drum which cost $20 to replace. We repaired it ourselves (it took two men to lift up and over the toilet and we did remove the door to the bathroom to get it out. With a little muscle you should be able to get it repaired at small cost. Hope this helps.
Rob & Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:43 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
I have to officially go here - and welcome Rob & Julie to the Excel forum!! Thank you for such a great first post with some great information.

I hope you don't mind that I added some "Excel karma" under your "name"
We do hope you continue to visit & post often here- I can tell you that the "Excel Family" always welcomes posts by other Excel owners!!
Again- welcome to iRV2 & the Excel Forum.

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote