Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:58 PM   #1

So I dropped the substantial coin required and bought the whole package. Some pretty good stuff and I'm a member for a year. Maybe its worth it ... can't tell yet.

His info does not jive exactly with the other guy, Randall Eaton but pretty close. Both agree that Peterson is second only to New Horizons and not by much.

Gallant is not fond of New Horizons toyhauler's towability. Dings is pretty substantially. Much higher marks for Peterson which puts them dead even in overall rating ... or nearly. Actually the Excel has the edge.

BUT .... when you go to the quotes by owners you still find substantial numbers of really hard worded complaints. Not anything like the popular mid-priced and lower units but more than I would have expected. There are a large majority of glowing reports but not a few really unhappy people. A few reports of complete horror stories.

What's the deal here? I know their are silly people who can barely tie their shoes with real bad tempers who just want to slander for revenge over not very big problems. There are folks who expect perfection and that is not possible with any hand made product. Is that it? Or is there some actual possibility of getting a real lemon out of the Peterson factory?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2008, 02:58 PM   #2

So I dropped the substantial coin required and bought the whole package. Some pretty good stuff and I'm a member for a year. Maybe its worth it ... can't tell yet.

His info does not jive exactly with the other guy, Randall Eaton but pretty close. Both agree that Peterson is second only to New Horizons and not by much.

Gallant is not fond of New Horizons toyhauler's towability. Dings is pretty substantially. Much higher marks for Peterson which puts them dead even in overall rating ... or nearly. Actually the Excel has the edge.

BUT .... when you go to the quotes by owners you still find substantial numbers of really hard worded complaints. Not anything like the popular mid-priced and lower units but more than I would have expected. There are a large majority of glowing reports but not a few really unhappy people. A few reports of complete horror stories.

What's the deal here? I know their are silly people who can barely tie their shoes with real bad tempers who just want to slander for revenge over not very big problems. There are folks who expect perfection and that is not possible with any hand made product. Is that it? Or is there some actual possibility of getting a real lemon out of the Peterson factory?
Old 05-20-2008, 04:28 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott Fleming:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Where are you finding these comments? On this forum or elsewhere?
PS I sent you a PM.
M&S Norrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:31 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
these comments are imbedded in the RVCG CD's, and personally, I took them with a grain of salt.

My CD is about two years old, so I have old data, but most of the complaints on my CD seemed to be from many years ago.

2005 Forrest River Charleston 400TS DP
D and J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 06:37 PM   #5

Hi Scott,

I think it is fair to say that owners with problems tend to be more vocal ... human nature to expect a good outcome (and thus not say anything), but when things go wrong, that generates a passionate response.

As far as Excels go, I think my rig was a 'lemon' ... at least if you define a lemon as a rig with multiple and rare problems ... my rig had one of the very few frame failures experienced by Excels, and I've had slide rams and gears replaced multiple times.

BUT, I love my Excel, and I'll tell you why ... Petersons has stood behind the trailer from day one and still today is fixing problems under warranty ... a warranty that expired long ago on my 2004.

To my way of thinking, it is more important to see how a vendor stands behind their product when problems do occur.

And when you think about it, how can they not in rare cases. My 36RDO was made during the first year of that model ... the frame design was changed for later years. New designs, new materials, new components ... the combinations are almost infinite.

If lemons sneak through the automated production lines of the major auto makers, where thousands of a model are made each year, I've got to figure that low-volume production environments are bound to have the same.

Anyway ... sorry for the long post. Just want you to know that I'm very happy with my 'lemon' after all the work that Peterson's has done to make it right. Couldn't ask for a better company to deal with ... and yes, I will be buying another.

Bob
Bob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:42 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M&S Norrell:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott Fleming:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Where are you finding these comments? On this forum or elsewhere?
PS I sent you a PM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi,
I PMed you in return. Did you get it?
Old 05-20-2008, 07:48 PM   #7

Bob,

Thanks. Good explanation. I'm at one of those 'trough' positions of the wild ride that is 'my first RV purchase'. At this precise moment I'm feeling like I'd have to live next door to the manufacturing plant to feel safe.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:33 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
I had another brand trailer for ten years. It was a well-made unit from a newer company. Sinceit served me well, I thought the brand deserved my loyalty and I initiated purchase of a new 5'er from the sme outfit.

In the process, the deeper I researched, the more I learned that over the ten years the compnay had expanded it's production to the neglect of it's quality control, warranty and customer service.

Nightmare stories abounded of folks stuck in campgrounds with broken/jammed slideouts awaiting ground shipment of parts because the factory would not autorize non-dealer warranty repair, or, even overnight shipment of parts to stranded customers. They basically ceased to care.

My original trailer did not have slideouts. But, upon checking and polling owners at the customers' forum (no brand reps on that one), the polling results showed extremely high percentage of problems - and even a very high pattern of multiple severe slideout failures per customer.

With Excel, the deeper I researched, the more I found customer stories showing satisfaction with the Excel quality and the terrific customer care. The more I learned about Excel's reputation, the more assured I became that I was onto the right brand for me. I even traveled from the California coast to RV Sales NM to purchase and outfit my Excel. I wanted the most solid, best backed rig that I could find.

Now, about 1.5 years of ownership later, and still regularly hearing even more great stories about Excel. After 1.5 years of following Excel and other brands' news in general, I am fully satisfied that I have the most solid, best backed rig that I could find, bar none. I couldn't be happier with my decision to buy an Excel.

I beleieve that, like me, the more that you research Excels, and the Excel reputation, the more you will be assured about buying one. Likewise, like me, the longer that you own one and the more you use it and feel it's solid construction, while hearing others' experiences in their Excels, the more satisfied that you will feel that you have made the correct choice.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:30 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Buying our 1st Excel, 3 yrs ago, was an extremely easy decision. I tried to research as much as possible and make the best decision. In the end though it became apparent that the was no "perfect" company, no "perfect" design and no "perfect" time other than the moment I signed the purchase papers for our very 1st 5th wheel, '04 '35 Excel MKO. We never owned a truck either. Now I needed one of those too. The next day we wound up with a great deal on a '05 Chev 3500 Crew Cab DRW. No regrets there either.

Here it is 3 yrs later and we're now FT'ing in a '07 '35' Excel TKE. Have we had problems? Yes! Have they been with construction? yes, one (1). It was a leaky chower drain that was easily fixed. All the other problems, five, have either been self inflicted, three, or with equipment, two, and easily resolved.

The main thing is "you have a dream" and the Excel you chose will help "make it a reality". The company has stood behind everything they ever promised me and more. Their service went beyond my expectations and then some.

Will I buy another one? Not in the near future because I now have want I need to live my dream of traveling in safety and comfort. I have no 2nd thoughts that I should have bought something else. I've heard and seen enough of the problems people have with other brands.

IMHO, the longer you worry about the miniscule details, the longer it'll take for whomever to build your custom unit and the shorter the time you'll have to enjoy the benefits of your decision. Nothing is ever perfect. Someone will always have a better idea. Our time here on this earth is too short to wait for the "right time" and the "perfect" floor plan.

Enjoy your life in your Excel!
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote