Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2015, 10:50 AM   #1

Location of fuses for Outrigger jacks

We have a 2008 RT. As I was raising the outrigger jacks both went dead just as one touched the stop. Fortunately one was on the stop and the other one as close enough to the stop that I could finish my trip home.

All indications are a fuse blew. So far I have been able to locate the fuse. Can anyone help me with information on where Peterson was putting the outrigger fuses in 2008?

Thanks,

Mark
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2015, 10:57 AM   #2

Try in line with jack fuses in generator box in front
Old 04-04-2015, 02:37 PM   #3

Thanks, I did find a 30 Amp glass tube type fuse in the area you suggested. To the eye it appeared perfectly good but when I put the continuity tester to it, it failed. I am confident that is the problem, but will verify it when I when I get to town tomorrow to pick up a replacement.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:58 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
You may think about replacing it with a resetting breaker. I did. And keep those outriggers lubed and clean. It doesn't take much for them to hang up, draw amps and blow the fuse.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark and Darlene View Post
I am confident that is the problem, but will verify it when I when I get to town tomorrow to pick up a replacement.
But why did it fail?
Rob17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 05:30 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Chief is right, it doesn't take much to take out a fuse. And since you didn't see the fuse "popped" but had no continuity......you probably just have a tired fuse. One of the weak parts of that system is the switches. The are designed to be "weather proof" but sometimes get water/moisture inside the switch and fail. Sometimes they take out the fuse....and sometimes the motor just won't operate. FWIW. rockin'

PS. I see you guys are from Newton, KS......I used to live in KC and called on the Conklin's in Newton! Small world.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:12 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
I put outdoor reseptical covers over my switches and gobbed silicone over the back of the switches. The get a lot of road spray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20150404_171237.png
Views:	71
Size:	513.7 KB
ID:	90583  
Old 04-04-2015, 07:31 PM   #8

We just keep a large supply of fuses, even with good maintance things happen
Old 04-06-2015, 07:23 PM   #9

I Picked up a replacement fuse this afternoon and that took care of the problem. Several stressed the importance of lubrication. What type of lube has been found to work best. The lube I was sold, for what is called for in the manual seems to be extremely heavy.

.[/QUOTE] rockintom; PS. I see you guys are from Newton, KS......I used to live in KC and called on the Conklin's in Newton! Small world.

You are right. It is indeed a small world. I was moving cars for Conklin as needed into January until we left for the Florida panhandle. Now that I am back I will have to make a decision if I am going to stay put or turn my dealer tag back. I am leaning toward another trip to Idaho sometime in the next couple months.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:01 PM   #10

chief looks like a good idea, not sure of the room available on our coach. I'll add it to the Boss's list for when I think he needs something to do. ;-)
Old 04-07-2015, 06:54 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Any dry kube that doesn't gum up or attract road grime...I use silicone and spray almost evertime I put them up. Spray, wipe, soray again.

Tags
cat, fuse, jacks