Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #43

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OK here are the 1st pics of the body construction. Needless to say we are VERY excited.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	body1.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	1835   Click image for larger version

Name:	body2.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	1836  

Name:	body3.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1837   Click image for larger version

Name:	body4.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	1838  

Name:	body5.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1839  
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2009, 03:45 PM   #44

Excel Owners Club
Tim

This is looking great so far. One question. On the back end, what is the plan where Larry has the steel holding the bumper in place. I would rather see tubing steel there instead of the flat steel that is there going up from the bumper. Other than that I like the looks.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:04 PM   #45

A work in progress that will be ultimately cool! Looks good!

Phil
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:43 PM   #46

Excel Owners Club
Tim,
There very tail end of the deck in slanted down. I thought you were going to have that as flat space?
Old 11-16-2009, 06:24 PM   #47

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Working "NOT" View Post
Tim

This is looking great so far. One question. On the back end, what is the plan where Larry has the steel holding the bumper in place. I would rather see tubing steel there instead of the flat steel that is there going up from the bumper. Other than that I like the looks.
Larry,

Here's one of the bodies that I used as a model. This one is close. Our lights will be flat instead of recessed. We'll also have additional lights in the rear for back lighting. I'm trusting Larry Herrin to use his artictic talent an experience to know what works best.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BodyModel.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	1841  
Old 11-16-2009, 06:46 PM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakinSmoke View Post
Tim,
There very tail end of the deck in slanted down. I thought you were going to have that as flat space?
Virg,
This is a classic Herrin "Dove Tail" look and I really liked the line. It kind of "smooths" the lines at the back end. It didn't seem to take away from the storage of the back cabinet. I kind of left that part to Larry Herrin's expertise. I couldn't even try to reach 99% here.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:15 PM   #49

Excel Owners Club
Tim and Virgil,

The dovetail look is done mostly because of the hitch being recessed down in the bed. Otherwise the corners of the fiver might hit on the bed if truck gets off level in a dip. Not good if you have ever had one damaged that way.

Tim, I just like the looks of tube steel on the back better then what your having done. Thats just me and I'm only a 007.5 % anyway.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:21 AM   #50

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Working "NOT" View Post
Tim and Virgil,

The dovetail look is done mostly because of the hitch being recessed down in the bed. Otherwise the corners of the fiver might hit on the bed if truck gets off level in a dip. Not good if you have ever had one damaged that way.

Tim, I just like the looks of tube steel on the back better then what your having done. Thats just me and I'm only a 007.5 % anyway.
Larry,

On this project, I really felt that I was at someone else's mercy. I don't think I reached 1% in this process of the bed build. I'd look at pics and think this or that looked good. Some ideas were incorporated and others not. I figured that he was the artist who had the experience and I'd trust his judgement. If I don't like it, I can always sell this one and start over. I have relied on the input of many people and I really appreciate it especially yours and Virg's. Maybe he didn't use the tube steel because he was concerned about weight.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:14 PM   #51

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just got off the phone with Larry Herrin and things are going well. He said this is the biggest one he's ever done.

They are now ready to set it on the frame either late this PM or early in AM for the first fit. He's really happy with how it's turning out. As soon as I have the pics, I'll post them.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #52

Excel Owners Club
Dude, you are gonna have one darned good looking truck!
Old 11-19-2009, 02:22 AM   #53

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavor2BnC View Post
Virg,
This is a classic Herrin "Dove Tail" look and I really liked the line. It kind of "smooths" the lines at the back end. It didn't seem to take away from the storage of the back cabinet. I kind of left that part to Larry Herrin's expertise. I couldn't even try to reach 99% here.
Tim the photos of your bed being built remind me of when I had mine built. I designed what I wanted and had the craftsman build it. Mine is an all aluminum bed which lighted truck weight by 750 pounds allowing me to put more trailer weight on the truck. I know that the weight of an Excel is nothing for the HDT. 99, I am not asking just you this but to all the HDT owners( 86,80 and 007.5) Why use steel instead of aluminum?

Mandys M
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:11 AM   #54

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhicker View Post
Tim the photos of your bed being built remind me of when I had mine built. I designed what I wanted and had the craftsman build it. Mine is an all aluminum bed which lighted truck weight by 750 pounds allowing me to put more trailer weight on the truck. I know that the weight of an Excel is nothing for the HDT. 99, I am not asking just you this but to all the HDT owners( 86,80 and 007.5) Why use steel instead of aluminum?

Mandys M
To be honest, I never gave aluminum a thought. All that was suggested was steel. I didn't consider the weight because when I can carry all that weight, all I'm adding, besides the bed, is about 2,500 lbs in Smart car and stuff. The extra weight will also give a little better ride when bobtailing. I do know that when you single a HDT, more weight needs to be added in the back because of the loss of the wheel weight, about 2500 lbs., from the tandem. You want to lighten the load on the front wheels. So steel is a good thing in their case. I left mine tandem though. For now, I have to live with the decision and see. I'm just anxious to get back on the road.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:27 AM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
We went with all aluminum because I didn't want to deal with the inevitable rust that will develop. The bed and all the supporting structure is aluminum -- I added approximately 1,800 lbs of steel plate over the axle and another 1,000 lbs in the rear bumper. My hitch is mounted on the arse end of the truck frame. I've noticed a big difference when towing and bobtailing. 'Semi-Suite' was a production Class 7, so I didn't have the extra axle/weight to make a comparison in the ride quality. We're very pleased with the ride while bobtailing and have been using 'Semi-Suite' to explore areas around South Georgia and Jacksonville, Fl. Our two girls are more comfortable in their roomy truck bed compared to the back seat in the Expedition -- also, it's a better place for them to stay while we visit/shop.

Our only problem has been the security folks here at Kings Bay. Seems we encounter a different crew everytime we enter the base and they don't understand that we're a POV and not a commercial truck.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:43 AM   #56

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefJohn View Post
We went with all aluminum because I didn't want to deal with the inevitable rust that will develop.

Our only problem has been the security folks here at Kings Bay. Seems we encounter a different crew everytime we enter the base and they don't understand that we're a POV and not a commercial truck.
Rust was a consideration with the steel and that is why I opted to have the underside coated. I remembered from my younger days growing up in Chicago how the cars would show rust very quickly unless you had a good undercoat.

Chief, what about getting a base sticker for the vehicle? I know they aren't required but when we were up in Great Lakes last year they made us get one. My Kirtland one was expired and I hadn't removed it yet. I was going to try to get one here at Kirtland before I left Albuquerque. That would help, I'd think.