Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Loud Air Conditioner

I have a 2014 Winslow 31IKE and the air conditioner is very loud out side. It has a very loud fan noise when it runs to the point it is very annoying when we are sitting outside. I took it to a dealer to have them look at it and they could find nothing wrong with the AC except it had a very aggressive fan blade. The fan that is making all the noise is the one outside. Inside it is very quiet. The technician called Airxcel and they agreed that the fan blade was very aggressive one on this model and will send a different one free of charge.

I was wondering if anybody else noticed the noisy fan and had the blade changed. If you did change the blade did it affect your cooling capacity?
Jhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2014, 06:18 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhav View Post
I have a 2014 Winslow 31IKE and the air conditioner is very loud out side. It has a very loud fan noise when it runs to the point it is very annoying when we are sitting outside. I took it to a dealer to have them look at it and they could find nothing wrong with the AC except it had a very aggressive fan blade. The fan that is making all the noise is the one outside. Inside it is very quiet. The technician called Airxcel and they agreed that the fan blade was very aggressive one on this model and will send a different one free of charge.

I was wondering if anybody else noticed the noisy fan and had the blade changed. If you did change the blade did it affect your cooling capacity?
What model do you have? My Polar Mach 15000 BTU works great. The fan on the roof unit is noisy if you stand over it on the roof. This guys move a huge amount of air across the monster wrap around condenser. This is one reason they perform so much better than their predecessors(Coleman/Mach). I will never complain of the noise on mine. My friends that have the Dometic Peguin say they perform well also. All I know for now. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:49 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I noticed that while parked next to several late models at Smith Center..they wernt loud in the coach but as neighbors it was noticeable and annoying.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:58 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
The AC is an Airxcel 15M BTU model 47000 series. The AC works great inside but is very loud and irritating when sitting outside or even in the next campsite. I walked around the campground and nobody's AC was as loud as mine.
Jhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:03 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
My wife and I discussed the same this past weekend while we were sitting out by the fire. these units are definitely louder than the AC units on my previous rigs. But relatively quiet inside.
BLPTers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:04 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Could it be that I'm usually talking louder than the A/C???!!! Yak-Yak-Yak and not much said!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 08-21-2014, 10:00 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
do a serch for mach 8 there is a fan kit that fixes this
kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:12 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Here's a thread for info, pictures and part #:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210236

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:18 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Here is some info on the fan from SOB.

I just had my main room A/C replaced with the new low profile unit with heat pump and it is much quieter than the previous 15K Coleman that came on my 2012 WC.
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:39 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Thanks guys for the update. Great info. That's what this forum is all about. I guess many years of running freshly-built race car engines in a Butler building has caught up with me! Nothing sounds load to me anymore! rockin'
Old 08-21-2014, 10:51 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Here is the info on the Coleman Mach 8
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:33 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Could it be that I'm usually talking louder than the A/C???!!! Yak-Yak-Yak and not much said!
Truth......

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:58 AM   #13
PJL

Thanks for posting the link Drfife. Just ordered the new fans. I have been reluctant to run my A/C at night even when warm in the rig because the fan noise could easily irritate neighbors. This in turn irritated DW when she has to sleep a little warmer than desired. Telling her to sleep without PJ's didn't go over too well! Think she prefers your recommended solution.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:42 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Why doesn't PI ask Coleman to fix this issue since there is a fix? Obviously the maker of the after market kit knows something more then Coleman or PI and other coach manufacturer. It's crazy that the consumer has to find their own solutions! I mentioned how noisy the new era AC' are during a recent factory tour and was told they hadn't noticed a issue.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner