Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2012, 09:43 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Lug Nut Torque Specs

What are the lug nut torque specs for an Excel with the optional 17.5" aluminum factory rims with Michelin Load Range J tires?

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #2

Can't answer that question, but especially with aluminium rims, part of any answer should be whether the torque is with dry stud and nut threads, or with lubricated threads.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
What are the lug nut torque specs for an Excel with the optional 17.5" aluminum factory rims with Michelin Load Range J tires?

Typical Lug Nut Torque Specifications for Aluminum Trailer Wheels

The torque that is to be applied to lug nuts on a typical aluminum trailer wheel varies with the size of the stud on your trailer. Common size stud on a trailer often are 1/2", 9/16" or 5/8". Below is a table to guide you as your are installing the wheels to your trailer application.

Lug SizeFT/LBS Torque 1/2"90-120 9/16"120-140 5/8"140-160

Dexter numbers are very close to these and you should contact HWT who makes the rims for my trailer or who ever makes the one on your trailer.
Rsteabag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:33 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Quote:

120 lbs. On aluminum wheels I retorque 5 times in the first 1000 miles anytime the wheel has been removed and reinstalled. I always get a little more twist each time I torque and when torquing on the fifth time no more movement. Works for me. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #5

And here I thought one of the Amigos got torqued from too many margaritas! 120 lbs. indeed!

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Here is a article that I found interesting on alum. wheels from a insurance company.

Aluminum wheel torquing often comes up when our customers purchase aluminum trailer wheels to install on their trailer. Torquing aluminum trailer wheels is not the same as torquing on steel trailer wheels because aluminum is a softer metal. Because of this, aluminum wheels often need to be ‘re-torqued’ as lug nuts often loosen up a bit when they settle in.
The HiSpec aluminum wheels offered on RecStuff.com do not need to be re-torqued because of the innovative ICF (Improved Clamp Force) Technology. ICF Tecnology improves safety by fighting against wheel serperation on trailer wheels. ICF improves the net clamp load in wheel joints by providing an even load accross the wheel joints. This innovative process provides a huge step when improving safety, and it’s a step towards eliminating the problem of wheel seperation. By implementing this technology, your first torque becomes your last when installing aluminum trailer wheels, because ICF Technology negates the need to re-torque your lug nuts after installation.
The torque that is to be applied to lug nuts on a typical aluminum trailer wheel varies with the size of the stems on your trailer. Common size stems on a trailer often are 1/2″, 9/16″ or 5/8″. You should always verify with the wheel’s manufacturer when applying proper torquing to your aluminum wheels. Torquing specifications can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Below is a aluminum wheel torque torque table to guide you as your are installing the wheels to your trailer application.
Lug Size
FT/LBS Torque
1/2″
90-120
9/16″
120-140
5/8″
140-160
This article was provided by RecStuff.com.

About the Author
(ArticlesBase SC #3616319)
Article Source: http://www.articlesbase.com/Typical Lug Nut Torque Specifications for HiSpec Aluminum Trailer Wheels
Old 10-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Thanks guys, 120 ft lbs it is.

Second question:
What psi are you running in your load range J tires?
120 psi?

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 10-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:

Second question:
120 psi?
We have a limited and run 110 psi. based on the weight at each tire.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:01 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Quote:

Second question:
120 psi?
110 psi here.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:06 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsteabag View Post
We have a limited and run 110 psi. based on the weight at each tire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Working "NOT" View Post
110 psi here.
Thanks guys, 110 psi it is.

I appreciate all the info offered in this forum. My dealer has only sold 2 Excels. They are nice folks, but not experienced with Excel.

One last question, what sealant caulk does Excel use/recommend for things other than roofs? I have a couple of spots that need sealant to prevent water migration from outside to inside on bottom corners of slide out. I can see light from the inside with the bedroom slide retracted. I temporarily plugged the holes with butyl tape.

I'm new to Excel, but not to RVing.

Hopefully I'll be able to offer some advise in the future.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 10-08-2012, 08:35 AM   #11
JDT

Russell, regarding PSI there is a chart on the Michelin website which gives the capacity per axle for the tires we have. The tires are way overmatched for the load of our trailers. According to Michelin the minimum pressure is 75 lbs and the max is 120. At 75 lbs the load rating per axle is 6750 pounds time 2 axles equals 13,500. When I got the rig weighed before our tirip to Colorado my axle weight was 12,500. According the chart all I need is 75 pounds PSI. I am running 85 which gives me a total capacity of 14,780.

I learned from my motorhoming days how much pressure can affect ride quality. The coach came to me with max pressure of 120 and road like an iron wheel wagon. After getting it weighed I ran 90 in front and 85 in the rears, still over the recommended pressure, but what a difference it made in ride.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks guys, 110 psi it is.

One last question, what sealant caulk does Excel use/recommend for things other than roofs? I have a couple of spots that need sealant to prevent water migration from outside to inside on bottom corners of slide out. I can see light from the inside with the bedroom slide retracted. I temporarily plugged the holes with butyl tape.

I'm new to Excel, but not to RVing.

Hopefully I'll be able to offer some advise in the future.
100% silicone caulk. rockin
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote