Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-05-2019, 04:52 PM   #1
JDT

Mattress Size

I need to replace the king size mattress that came with our Excel. I'm finding different measurements when I google an rv king. I tried to measure ours but with the sagging it's kind of hard. The best I can tell it is about 78" long and 72" inches wide but nothing matches that. It appears the closest match may be 80 X 72 but options are limited in that size and pricier.

Does anyone know for sure if Excel used the 80 X 72 sized mattress and any suggestions on a replacement? We bought a Casper for the house about 6 months ago and really like it but they don't have one in that size. There are a few on Amazon that appear to come from some rv suppliers but I'm not trusting of the quality.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2019, 06:09 PM   #2

Jim,
We got a very nice memory foam mattress in a custom size from Love My Mattress. https://lovemymattress.com/

Brad
BRS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:44 PM   #3
JDT

I see there are 2 sizes, 75 X 72 and 80 X 72. I need to figure out which one will work best. We have the box spring foundation with a rather anemic pillow top mattress that has started sinking in the middle from side to side. I'm thinking I could just put the new mattress on the old foundation so I need to see if I can measure it.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:35 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Link to site for RV mattress sizes.
https://www.mattressinsider.com/repl...-mattress.html

Info from website on determining mattress size for replacement.

Determine Your RV Mattress Size

The first step to buying a replacement RV mattress is to figure out what size you need to order.

Most people will measure the mattress. You can do this if you're in a hurry.

However, the most accurate way to do it is to measure the dimensions of the surface the mattress rests on. Usually the mattress is placed on ply-wood or some type of similar surface.

There are two reasons why this is more accurate. The first being that your rv mattress may not be the same size as it was when the RV was built. This can be due to fluctuations in temperature during off-season storage (especially you folks in Arizona!) or from exposure to UV light if the RV was kept uncovered during storage.
steeltom75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:30 AM   #5
JDT

Just an update for no other reason than this forum keeps getting quieter and quieter. Hope it doesn't go away.

We just took an 11 day trip and the old mattress had to go, too much back pain with it. When we ordered the Winslow we opted for the king size bed with a box springs and pillow top mattress. I measured the box springs that Peterson used as the foundation which was 72 X 75. The end of the mattress, however, over hang by about 5 inches so I had to assume they used a 72 X 80 mattress. This is a close match to the measurements I took for the mattress itself.

The next issue was how in the world did they get the spring based mattress in the bedroom. I have studied it every way I can and the only thing I can see is they built the trailer around it. The only way to get the old one out is to cut it up. So, this limits me to a memory foam mattress in a box.

I started looking for 72 X 75 mattress which would be a better match and okay for us folks under 6 feet. Not many out there but there are few, like the link above, but there were more options for the 72 X 80. Also, mattress pads and sheets sets were not plentiful in either size but much more so with the 80 inch version (rv king). After a lot of back and forth I opted for a Dynasty Mattress 10" on Amazon for $439, a thick, rather expensive mattress pad for a little air circulation and 2 sets of microfiber sheets. The mattress part was not easy as I'm leery of buying without trying but no furniture store I tried or even Mattress Firm has anything. We bought our Casper for the house without trying one and it has been great so we'll see.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:36 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Thanks for the update Jim. Not meaning to appear too stupid, but where is the difficulty of king mattress/boxsprings getting in or out of the rig. We only had a queen size and had no problem getting it down stairs or out the door. In fact I did it by myself. I know I'm missing something somewhere. Help me understand where the issue is?

My biggest issue was finding someone to take the old mattress/boxsprings like Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. Finally found a small town Goodwill and the guy attending the store took it for his own use.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:38 PM   #7
JDT

Tom, the king mattress is 72 inches wide. The floor to ceiling height in the bedroom is 77 or so inches. The height of the bed platform does not allow for enough room to turn the mattress on edge and get out thru the hallway. I had to cut the covering off leaving nothing but the springs which I then had to cut it in half to have room to maneuver it out the door.

I can take the springs to the our local recycle facility but the rest has to go to the dump. I don't think I would have wanted anyone to have it anyway.

Please see my new post, need some help with another issue.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:12 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Jim, I don't remember the measurements being that close. Wow. Some of the price you pay for "living large"! You know......having the best of everything!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 05-30-2019, 10:29 PM   #9
JDT

If I had it to do over again a queen size would have been my choice. However, the wife prefers a king so my guess is the decision would not have changed. Yes, I'm a smart man.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:28 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
The mattress can be removed without cutting it up. It will pass through the doorways. It takes two strong people to move it.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 11:24 PM   #11
JDT

Thanks, Russell, but already cut up and out. I did try but the configuration of my bedroom just wouldn't allow the bed to be vertical enough to let it get to the hallway.

Now, need a little help. The box springs was in 2 pieces which allowed the larger section to be raised for access to the storage. I need to replace it with a platform that can also be raised. The only thing I can think of is 2 pieces of 3/4 inch plywood, cut to size, seamed together, hinged at the same place as the previous box springs and attach the lift pistons. If someone has a non box spring bed can you tell me how Peterson built it, please.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:38 AM   #12
JDT

It is finished. Finally. The optional box springs and mattress set we ordered with our Winslow turned out to be a real pain to remove as I previously said. The box springs were about 5 or 6 inches deep and was in 2 pieces. The short piece was screwed down at the head of the bed and the longer piece was attached with a piano hinge so the whole thing could be raised for access to under bed storage. Raising it was not easy as it got quite heavy with a king size box springs, a king size rather thin pillow top mattress, a mattress cover, a 3 inch memory foam topper which we added to try and make it more comfortable and all the bedding.

I did figure out a way to make the new solid platform to replace the box springs base. I made a frame out of 2 X 4's laid flat and covered it in 1/4 inch plywood. My son-in-law covered it with some nice fabric he had left over from a job at his furniture upholstery business. I used the same piano hinge and attached two cabinet handles at the base to use to lift it. I put the new 10" memory foam mattress on and works like a charm. Much easier to lift and the new bed is so comfortable, a medium firm much like the Casper we have for the house.

What a pain but I'm done.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:35 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Jim,

Thanks for the update. The only thing I wonder about is the 1/4" plywood. PI originally used 5/8" prior to box springs for their platform. And that's what I used when I did the upgrade to our queen mattress.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:57 PM   #14
JDT

Tom, I have 7 2X4's laid flat spread out across the frame. The quarter inch stuff is used for underlayment and was pretty stiff. The weight of the mattress is spread across the entire surface so hopefully it will work fine. If not, it is just screwed in place and could be replaced fairly easily.

Another question coming on another post so watch for it.

Tags
mattress