Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Michelin Tire replacement time

I have been e-mailing and on the phone with them since I lost one tire on our way home this spring. They recommend that their tires be replaced in their 10th year. Providing the tread and side walls are in good shape and no visible damage. I replaced one that I had the blowout on. Will take the new one and the new spare and put them on the front axle and put the older one as a spare.
Rsteabag is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #2

Read the "fine print"--they say 10 years but require that the tires be dismounted and inspected inside on an annual basis after five years. I know there is no usch thing as the "7 year rule" but I still dont think I'd go past seven years on a tire.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
Yea I go no more than 7

But then again when I was a kid I remember a friends parents had a 27' late 70's Allegro with cracks in the tires you could shove a quarter in, and they made it from Mobile AL to Texas and back a lot of times
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
Replaced ours last year, they we approaching 8 years. FMCA had a great program for members. If you're a member, you may want to check see if they still have the program with Michelin.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsteabag View Post
I have been e-mailing and on the phone with them since I lost one tire on our way home this spring. They recommend that their tires be replaced in their 10th year. Providing the tread and side walls are in good shape and no visible damage. I replaced one that I had the blowout on. Will take the new one and the new spare and put them on the front axle and put the older one as a spare.

Sorry Tbag but I'll disagree with the policy of 10 years. I wouldn't trust ANY tire that old. It's in my opinion, you can't make a blanket statement like that as there are way too many variables to consider. Things like climate, road conditions, weight, tire temps, exposure to UV, and the list goes on. I want to be able to trust my rubber. On these Michelin XTA tires and the their general reputation and weight capacities, I will be replacing them about 5-6 years. My 614 GYs on the old FLR got replaced at 3 years simply due their reputation AND marginal weight capacities (also tires temps). I know many of our friends with 614s thought they'd try to stretch it to 4 years and had either a blow out or tread separation in the period about 6 months before they planned on changing tires (4 years). Usually on warmer days. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!!! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Sorry Tbag but I'll disagree with the policy of 10 years. I wouldn't trust ANY tire that old. It's in my opinion, you can't make a blanket statement like that as there are way too many variables to consider. Things like climate, road conditions, weight, tire temps, exposure to UV, and the list goes on. I want to be able to trust my rubber. On these Michelin XTA tires and the their general reputation and weight capacities, I will be replacing them about 5-6 years. My 614 GYs on the old FLR got replaced at 3 years simply due their reputation AND marginal weight capacities (also tires temps). I know many of our friends with 614s thought they'd try to stretch it to 4 years and had either a blow out or tread separation in the period about 6 months before they planned on changing tires (4 years). Usually on warmer days. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!!! rockin'
Rockin I was just the reporter of their statement. I will still replace them down the road. They will be 6 years old this july so for the time being I figure that I will get 1 more out of them. I know how I keep my tires and check them air/temp and at each stop check them with my inferred tester for tempand also check temp on rotors and calipers to make sure nothing is heating up the tires. Always keep them covered and out of the water on wood pads. There's no cracking or checking in the side walls,tread is almost full depth.

Dick
Rsteabag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Tbag, Yeah, I know you're just the messenger. With RV tires I disagree with Michelin on this one. I remember GY...quite a few years ago came out with a blanket time frame with like a replacement period of 5 years . Now they are real fuzzy on that time frame....listing all the variables that effect tire life. Just my .02 worth

For me, regarding RV tires......I'm a little overcautious as it pertains to tire life and air pressure checks for safety reasons. I've been lucky as I've never had a blowout on any of my RVs. (Lots of flats though) My analness (oh boy, a new word in my vocabulary!!!) has work for me and I'm stickin' too it. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 05-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Tbag, just my 02 cents and experence about 18 months ago with my goodyears on my 2007 35flr. On a tow from Bend Oregon to Portland Oregon I experenced total tread seperation that was only discovered upon our arrival at Pheasent Ridge RV. Goodyear in Lake Oswego Oregon was great and replaced the tire for $96 even though there was only 1 month to go on the 5 year time out. I checked out the other 3 tires and the side walls were in great condition and I, like rockin, check air pressure all the time. The cracking was in the tire grooves and the other three were cracked and the goodyear dealership replaced them for $96 each. Like rockin said change them out every 3 years maybe 4 is all conditions are favorable, that is a personal decision. Keep the beer and wine (for rockin) flowing.
cwo4mstumpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsteabag View Post
FYI:
Though it seems counterintuitive to me, Michelin recommends otherwise per when you just put on two new tires instead of a whole set:

(Here quoting from Michelin manual)
Quote:
Replacement of Two (2) Tires
It is recommended that all four (4) tires are replaced at the same time.
However, when only two tires are replaced, the new ones should be put
on the rear.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Hi Rockin,
Just had my first blow out on my 36tke, drivers side rear. This tire was mfg. in the Mitch 2007, tire next to it was mfg.in 2008 the other 2 on the passenger side are 2007. All are Michelin XTA"s none have dry rot showing. The spare I had was a surprise, Goodyear 16" wheel, thank goodness I didn't have to go far. I'm replacing the one that failed and now would like your thoughts about me replacing all of them now. Also please tell me in detail how to be analus about my tires.
Thanks,
GatorHead
Alex0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex0905 View Post
Hi Rockin,
Just had my first blow out on my 36tke, drivers side rear. This tire was mfg. in the Mitch 2007, tire next to it was mfg.in 2008 the other 2 on the passenger side are 2007. All are Michelin XTA"s none have dry rot showing. The spare I had was a surprise, Goodyear 16" wheel, thank goodness I didn't have to go far. I'm replacing the one that failed and now would like your thoughts about me replacing all of them now. Also please tell me in detail how to be analus about my tires.
Thanks,
GatorHead
Sorry to hear about another Michelin XTA tire failure. Sorry but in my opinion you're due for a tire change. What pressure do you run in them? Anyway, I think If I had to buy some right now, I'd go for the GY 614 H rated tire as it is cheaper and has a slight higher speed rating. Replace all four. Yeah back then, PI put there old stock inventory of wheels and tires as spare. Very ugly when installed, but not unsafe or anything like that. The wheel/tire combo has the same diameter as the 17.5" wheel/tire. Now they use the same tire/wheel that's on the ground, I imagine for customer satisfaction. When you pay over a 100K....people just have certain expectations!!!! Damn ol' Boomers getting old...... rockin'
Old 07-19-2013, 07:29 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Hi Rockin, I run 110lbs as recommended by Peterson some time ago. I was full timing then.
Well, I replaced all yesterday with Michelin XTA's, there goes my credit card again, up, up and away! Any way the spare wheel is really close to my brake calipers but it made it no problem. I have a Dually F-350 that needed tires too, so that was a double whammy! After the Michelins were installed on my 5ver they did my truck with Michelin LTX A/T2's. The only problem was that when I got a chance to check my new tires on my 5ver they were 2ea. mfg. in 2011 and 2ea. mfg. in 2012, the tire center offered to change back to my old tires if I wanted, and that the new tires were the only ones they could locate. I'm taking my grandsons camping across the state (PA) this Monday so I have no options. I didn't think to specify minimum manufacture dates when they ordered them. What do you think? Thanks for your reply.
Alex0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:50 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex0905 View Post
Hi Rockin, I run 110lbs as recommended by Peterson some time ago. I was full timing then.
Well, I replaced all yesterday with Michelin XTA's, there goes my credit card again, up, up and away! Any way the spare wheel is really close to my brake calipers but it made it no problem. I have a Dually F-350 that needed tires too, so that was a double whammy! After the Michelins were installed on my 5ver they did my truck with Michelin LTX A/T2's. The only problem was that when I got a chance to check my new tires on my 5ver they were 2ea. mfg. in 2011 and 2ea. mfg. in 2012, the tire center offered to change back to my old tires if I wanted, and that the new tires were the only ones they could locate. I'm taking my grandsons camping across the state (PA) this Monday so I have no options. I didn't think to specify minimum manufacture dates when they ordered them. What do you think? Thanks for your reply.
Wow Alex, you did spend some bucks that day. You didn't state how much....but I know a lot!!

It appears you committed the Cardinal Sin when you allow them to put on the tires without checking the date! Unless it was a chain tire store or you went back to get them updated, the only thing I think you could do would be to ask for financial restitution. They should refund some of your money. I personally look for tires that no older than 6 months old or thereabouts. I, however, wouldn't be scared of taking your GS camping in fear of tire failure. I just don't think you'll get the full life out of your tires in the long run (ie my thoughts about getting some of your money back).

Just a note. Always watch tire dates on great sale priced tires. That's usually how they "move" the old stock. rockin'

Tags
replacement