Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2009, 02:37 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
my 09 35TKE is not vented to the outside. is it a possibility to have it vented???? is yours vented???

thanks for your collective knowledge. B
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2009, 02:44 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
I have an '08 TKE and it isn't vented to the outside either. Seems silly to blow the smoke,grease etc. right back at you. I am still looking for filter spray to coat the filter. We started using the fan overhead that is powered by the switches by the door. By the way, congratulations on your purchase.
Ed

2008 Excel E33TKE,'08 K3500 DRW, B&W Hitch
evan0810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Ours is not vented to the outside either. Maybe one of the smart folks will tell us why they can't vent it to the outside.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:07 PM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Don't know about being one of the smart folks, but my microwave/convection oven is vented to the outside.

Some cold air may enter the vent at times and sometimes the vent flap makes noise when traveling, but that's not an issue for 5'ers.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:20 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ed: I don't know if this would work for you, but I had a AC Tech tell me to spray the filter with PAM or some other type "no stickum" veg spray. Said it would collect twice the dirt or dust that a regular filter would. Down side------have to change the filter more often.

Marty
Marty too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:28 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Marty, that's a good idea. Thanks. Could be washed in a dish washer.
Ed

2008 Excel E33TKE,'08 K3500 DRW, B&W Hitch
evan0810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:17 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
I questioned the same thing about the vent and I was told that folks didn’t want two vents so close together and are using the power vent for cooking too. Must be wrong by what I am reading....Book2
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:44 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
We've discussed this in the past. If you run the stove over the range vent fan and have the fantasic vent fan in the kitchen going at the same time....you should be in good shape. The fumes go up and out of the unit. Seems to work OK for us. We do fish and the like out on the grill.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:30 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Maybe one of the smart folks will tell us why they can't vent it to the outside.
Guess they were busy last night.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:40 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Most Microwave/vent hoods can vent outside. You do have to get the outside vent kit and then do the work to vent it. We had a 1995 Avion 5er that was vented outside.

Also had tow houses built and the builder standard was no vent...but with some pushing, they got the vent kit and vented it outside.

Cannot understand why anyone would want to blow hot smokey air right back into the room.
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:52 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My thought is "if there's smoke, there's fire or charcoal in the making". Our Vent A Hood in the "Stick & Brick" was good for clearing out burnt popcorn smoke and the like. In the 5er, we use it to clear out cooking fumes/steam from the area above the stove and move it out to have the vent fan take it to the outside quickly.

The microwave/convection's fan is also a good grease trap to remove that from the cooking air. You should see the grime after one months use. That's why DW cleans it very regularly. She says she runs it with the outside fan to keep that gunk off the walls and ceiling. A vent to the outside wouldn't help with that.

I refuse to cook real smelly foods, fish, corned beef, broiling foods or anything else that'll stay around longer than the great taste of the food DW has cooked.

So would I like an outside vent, yeeeees. Until then, I'll just work with what I have and cook the fish outside. It'll still taste great.
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:52 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
I know they are talking about it here, but if any of our folks have some hints on cooking with the convection oven, I’d appreciate it. They are talking about a Sharp and mine is a Dometic! Book2
Old 02-01-2009, 10:47 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
B2,
It quite simple, cook as if baking in the oven, some say to add time and others take away time. I have to add time on our old Apollo oven. Things like pizza don't get quite as crisp as the regular oven. In that case I heat the pizza and in the convection oven when it's ready, I put it on a clean and very hot BBQ grill for 2-3 minutes and makes it nice and crispy. Really good. Are you about ready to do a happy hour at your place??? Pizza sounds good!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:56 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
No I'll just have something simple, Scallops wraped in bacon on the grill!! Tooth pick food! But I want to learn how to use this oven since I ordered my trailer without the gas oven..Book2