Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2022, 06:31 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
MORryde INDEPENDENT SUSPENSION

Does anyone have this system on their rig? Or any feelings pro or con? The roads don't seem to be getting any better and I'm wondering if the trailer is getting beat to death.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2022, 07:48 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We had Mor/Ryde IS on our 2013 HitchHiler Champage. It is a a 3 axle, 19,000 pound 5er and loved the IS system. The trailer rode well, but the roads are not getting any better, so the trailer will still get beat up some. The IS is expensive, but of you plan to keep the trailer, it is worth the investment.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 08:54 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We had a 2019 Jayco North Point 43' 383FKWS that had 9 ft ceilings from
the kitchen dinette, mid living area and all the way back through the back bedroom...only the kitchen was elevated...so 3/4 of that fifth wheel's walls were tall, with not much support as other trailers have with shorter wall heights.
So the first year on the regular axles took it's toll on occasion, so we scheduled to get MORRyde IS. Before our Fver was at 13' 5" tall at the A/Cs as the highest point...since owning added vent covers for the Fantastic Vent fans...so that raised to 13' 6".

After installation, the height went to 13' 8" at that back vent, but 13' 6' at the back A/C, so Engineers stated we needed to remove the vent...

There subsequent towing experience and jostling of the RV was much better.
When we parked there were no objects laying on the floors, nor any drawers that pulled during the ride as did before. Additionally we got the Disc break mod as well, and wow, what a difference in stopping and stability stopping...much better. However, it is expensive and requires yearly checks/adjustments according to MORRyde.

Most people I know that got the upgrade, were very pleased with the ride
following.
Topperace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 12:08 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Thanks for the help, now the question is whether to drive four hours down the road (I live in Oregon) and have it performed at a satellite location? The factory YouTube video offered the warning that if something is missed you may have to wait for the correction to be shipped from the factory. I've never been to Indiana yet - do you think it would be best to go to the factory?
Old 12-10-2022, 09:01 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I would suggest you go to Indiana...one, they treat you really good while you are there, they are cheaper, and they can "fix" things directly. The other place in Oregon is a certified installer, with no real connection to MORryde company ... as per the MORryde rep that handled us.

Great factory tour, they provide you lunch each day you are there, can install or go over other mORryde products they have...and to boot you are in Elkhart Indiana, the heart of RV country, and can do other RV factory tours or get parts directly from factories for the most part. I thought it was well worth our time
and effort.
Topperace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 06:43 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
I agree with Topperace. We didn't have the suspension installed, but they upgraded our Excel with Kodiak disc brakes and super all the way through the process, This is way back in 2005. Expensive, yet fun and great experience. I could have easily done the job myself, but didn't have a place to do it.

You don't see a great number of Excels that were manufactured with the Mor/Ryde suspension. It was offered by Excel (PI), but Bryan didn't push it as they had a lot of startup issues on the installation. Several of the new Excels had to go to the Mor/Ryde factory to ultimately have the system "reinstalled" to make them right. And as mentioned before, they do require annual maintenance which is spendy. It may be better now, but just finding someone to align that suspension was tough back in the day. Just my 2¢
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 06:48 AM   #7
Community Moderator

We had it installed in October 2020. We really like it, and it has helped the ride.
October 2020 the cost for our toy hauler was around $6500 for the triaxle.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 09:44 AM   #8

We've done a lot of miles all over the US in the last 2 years and one big take is the poor condition of our highways. Many miles of fair, poor or down right terrible on interstates, US hwy, state and county roads.

I had the MORryde IS installed as a factory option on our 2015. Bryan didn't have a problem adding it and I've been happy with the system, especially the disc brakes. There is some deterioration of the rubber blocks and I've consulted with MORryde about it. I'm planning on getting it out to Indiana later this year to have them go over it.
BRS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 01:27 PM   #9

Worth it

Our previous fifth wheel did not have IS. Our DRV has IS - what a great difference. The first few times I pulled the DRV when we would come to a bridge or chuck holes i would brace for the rig to pull back on the hitch - no such issues with the IS. Even going over rail road tracks feels so much smoother than no IS.
Old 12-14-2022, 08:43 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Thanks DRV, that's what inspired the thread because when I came back from North & South Dakota this past summer I hit some location where I had to use the aux. brake control to keep the trailer in line and was afraid to look in the trailer at the next stop.
Mark
Old 12-14-2022, 09:20 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Hi Brad,
I didn't realize that you had the factory installed I/S system. I new that CARLnJANIS had it and that Drfife had installed the Center Point Air-Ride Suspension System and all were happy with what they have.

Going off topic I noticed you are running a SB SRW. How are your axel weights? After talking with Carl I feel I need to go on a diet, or if MORride can move the axels forward a couple inches to take some weight off the hitch. Your thoughts.
Old 12-15-2022, 12:37 PM   #12

Since I got the 2020 3500HD I'm pretty good on the pin weight. I had a 60 gallon tank in my 2012 3500 SRW and a full tank in that truck would put me over on payload by just a little but not for long at 10+ mpg. The new Chevy has a higher payload capacity and with the direct to puck Pullright hitch, that finally came out last year, I was able to get rid of my 100# Demco adapter. I had Firestone Ride-Right airbags on the old truck but I put a set of Timbren levelers on this one and like the passive setup much better. The truck really tows great, just did 8800 miles including 5300 miles of towing in Sept and Oct and my only issues were a couple injectors that had to be replaced in Denver and the price of diesel!

I will get this trailer to MORryde and when they go over the IS I'll ask about adjustment that would help the pin weight. I'm still towing a little high in front even with a lower hitch height but having MORryde raise the height used to be about a $3000 job, probably more now.
BRS50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension