Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2016, 12:08 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
My turn for repairs and replacements

I have read many threads about the other owners experiencing assorted breakdowns and needed repairs. I understand this is part of the RV ownership and I accept that. With the exception of dealer improper installation and my self-inflected problems, we have been pretty lucky. We have had few problems. Could be because we have not traveled as much as we would like.

Well, I can't say that now. This trip the following has happened:

1. The problem with the ceiling in the closet separating.
2. The A/C above the living room is out.
3. The DirecTV DVR is out.
4. The exhaust fan in the living room quit working. We use it a lot because our unit has no windows on the kitchen side except in the bedroom. No way to get cross-ventilation to draw in some outside air without exhaust fan.
5. The microwave glass turntable taking flight (self-inflicted).

I'm bracing for something else to go wrong. Might as well get them all fixed at once. The truck is still working fine, knock on wood.

Fortunately it looks like it may be cool in Amarillo Saturday night. Still, I suspect the DW and I, along with Miss Zoey, will be huddled together under the A/C in the bedroom. That TV is still working.

Thanks for letting me vent a little.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2016, 12:12 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Vent away! I find it helpful as you are among a bunch of folks who are waiting on the next shoe to drop...

If you have a Fantastic Vent (as I do) it has a thermal fuse located near the voltage drop resistors used to control fan speed. Mine blew out, I believe because I liked to run the fan on slow speed. Bad part is it is crimped and welded in rather than on a terminal...I still have not gotten around to repairing mine yet.

I hope this helps....some....
Old 08-10-2016, 01:50 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbywaters View Post
Vent away! I find it helpful as you are among a bunch of folks who are waiting on the next shoe to drop...

If you have a Fantastic Vent (as I do) it has a thermal fuse located near the voltage drop resistors used to control fan speed. Mine blew out, I believe because I liked to run the fan on slow speed. Bad part is it is crimped and welded in rather than on a terminal...I still have not gotten around to repairing mine yet.

I hope this helps....some....
Mine is a cheap ShurFlo. My other fan is a Maxxair. I like it. The ShurFlo doesn't have manual controls just a remote. I think the remote is bad. Batteries are ok. Some of the buttons did work but now none work. At one time the fan was on and the hood was up and it started raining. After frantically pushing all the buttons, I finally got it to stop and close. I going to replace it with a new fan that has manual and remote control.

PS I did re-sync the control to the fan, but after awhile even the re-sync didn't work.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:53 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Carl, not to belittle your issues, it's never the right time for stuff to break and I feel for ya. Our second Excel had 105 issues in 18 months of usage. And I'm not talking about "tightening this and adjusting that". That was a bad situation. I would say the current rig "Ms. Charm" is the best built and had the least amount of issues. However, our first "Journey" was a good rig....and great floorplan (35 FLR).

Currently the thermocouple on the oven crapped out this AM.....I can handle that.....five years old.

Hope it all gets fixed quickly for you to enjoy it. rockin'

Now back to overhauling my GD's American Girl Doll.....Ha!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:09 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Hope it all gets fixed quickly for you to enjoy it. rockin'
That's it, Rockin'. I've had it. Stepped outside last night and the outdoor light blew out. Slapping a For Sale sign on this thing and gonna' start staying at a Bed Bug and Breakfast place.

Actually, that was a easy and rewarding fix. Of course, the spare bulbs I had were not the same style and had to make two trips to the local gas station. The first trip I picked the wrong style out of the correct style bin.

Hope the thermocouple repair goes well. I've changed out a few of those in my time. We use the convection oven to do most of our baking. Doesn't burn the bottoms of the biscuits before they are done.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:13 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Hope the thermocouple repair goes well. I've changed out a few of those in my time. We use the convection oven to do most of our baking. Doesn't burn the bottoms of the biscuits before they are done.

I cleaned the connector where the terminal is at the oven control, and the ground terminal and the silly thing started workin'. We don't use the oven all that much, but we've not had really any trouble with the hot spots in the oven like most folks have. That's been true for all 3 rigs we've had. Today, since we have a toaster oven, convection oven and regular toaster we use it even less. Mainly use it for pizza that is too big for the toaster oven. I hate the way the convection does pizza as it doesn't get hot enough. The oven is a major storage area for food products! Anyhow, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 08-11-2016, 09:26 AM   #7

skillets and the convection oven pieces are stored in our oven.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:29 AM   #8

Carl, once you start hauling all those suitcases in/out that ole 5th wheel will look really good. We have family where we can't take the 5th wheel and boy is that an ordeal. HA Main issue remembering what all we have to pack, like hair dryers, extra shoes etc. We had friends that did a two week vacation in the car and said never again. HA Figure you were doing a tongue and cheek remark.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:43 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by copilot View Post
Figure you were doing a tongue and cheek remark.
Very tongue and cheek, Co. That is why I said "Bed bug" and breakfast. Meaning I was the bed bug's breakfast.

I'll patch this trailer with bubblegum and bailing wire before I get another trailer. The only change I would make is to a Class A diesel pusher and that's not likely. Not enough room.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:07 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
We used to do the B&Bs deal prior to RVing. Really liked it but we mainly did those overseas and Canada. Just a few here in the states. Had good luck with them.

Tags
ace, repair, repairs, replace, replacement