RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:49 PM   #1

negative vs positive battery cables

One of my buddies helped me put my 5th wheel away...and while I wasn't looking pulled out my batteries. I did not have a chance to see which cable came off of which battery terminal. I suppose I could figure it out with a multi-meter..but assumed one of you guys knows the answer...i have a black and red cable...i think the red cable leads to the master power in switch. Do I have this right? Thanks
litespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2010, 06:56 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Normally, red leads go to the positive side of the battery and black goes from the negative battery terminal to ground.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:56 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Battery connections..

Here's a visual...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery set-up 2.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	5568  
Lindaxtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:21 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindaxtwo View Post
Here's a visual...
Linda, I love the pic of the new batteries.....thanks to rockintom......for everyone else.......it's an inside joke!!!! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:59 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The one thing I would forget when it comes to battery cables is the word "NORMALLY"

Normally.. They pay absolutly NO attention to color when hooking those up, they are 100% color blind and though one would HOPE the red wire goes to positive..

You can't be sure without tracing it

The wire that goes to the chassis is the negative cable.. That you can be sure of

The other BIG wire is positive

If there is one more smaller wire.. That too is positive,, IF there are 2 smaller wires. You are on your own.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:22 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Red to Positive
Black to Negative

Bryan
ExcelRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:38 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Linda, I love the pic of the new batteries.....thanks to rockintom......for everyone else.......it's an inside joke!!!! rockin'
Hey Tom,
These are actually the old ones...took a picture when removing them so I'd remember how to put the new ones in....The new ones aren't as pretty or green...LOL...
Lindaxtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:04 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindaxtwo View Post
Hey Tom,
These are actually the old ones...took a picture when removing them so I'd remember how to put the new ones in....The new ones aren't as pretty or green...LOL...
Someone is always jerking my chain!!! You forget how sensitive I am???
Linda you got me on this one!!!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 09-21-2010, 04:32 PM   #9

It's pretty easy really if you do not want to use your multi-meter. Hook them up either way. Now turn on a 12 volt light inside. If it gets darker when you turn it on, they are connected wrong. Likewise if your fridge acts like your microwave and things freeze in your microwave reverse the connections....................................... .................I sure hope you know I'm kidding.
Red should be positive and black negative. A multi-meter from the black cable to the frame (ground) should read full continuity. (Test only with batteries removed or disconnected)

Peter
Old 09-21-2010, 08:52 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Litespeed, when I first read the title of your thread I thought what the heck is the new thing going on now....negative vs positive battery cables.....My first thoughts where to one of my Dad's farm tractors that had positive ground and was that a trip when you had to jumper it. One always had your head turned when you first slapped the cables together, hoping they where sisters and didn't buck..
What you didn't tell us are your batteries 12V or 6v? The photo Lindatwo posted are two batteries in parallel. If you are using 6v then disregard Linda's because you will have to wire them in series.
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:57 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookIIRoadtrash View Post
Litespeed, when I first read the title of your thread I thought what the heck is the new thing going on now....negative vs positive battery cables.....My first thoughts where to one of my Dad's farm tractors that had positive ground and was that a trip when you had to jumper it. One always had your head turned when you first slapped the cables together, hoping they where sisters and didn't buck..
What you didn't tell us are your batteries 12V or 6v? The photo Lindatwo posted are two batteries in parallel. If you are using 6v then disregard Linda's because you will have to wire them in series.
B2,

Funny you mentioned this as I was thinking the same thing.....you sound like a "know it all"!!! We sure sound like a team here!!! rockin'
Old 09-21-2010, 09:02 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
B2,

Funny you mentioned this as I was thinking the same thing.....you sound like a "know it all"!!! We sure sound like a team here!!! rockin'
Tom, I wanted it be known what that photo represented in cause some one that didn't know was thinking about using it for a template....
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookIIRoadtrash View Post
Good point BookII, nothing is simple. For added confusion, on my 2001, the + hot is black and - neg is white.