Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2011, 10:52 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
New Tow Vehicle

A few weeks ago, the tranny on my '03 started acting up again. After being in the shop for the first of 2 weeks, I broke down and bought a new truck. Picked it up in Colorado Springs a couple of weeks ago. I would have liked a lighter color, but this was the only one I could find within a reasonable distance that had all the options I wanted (Crew Cab, long bed, 4X4 Laramie with 4.10 gears). This is one SWEET ride! This picture was taken this past weekend on a "test run". The rear end looks just a little low to me (the 2011 rear springs are softer than the 2003). So last night, I installed some Firestone Ride-Rite airbags. We leave this Sunday to spend the week in Las Cruces for a Jeep event, so we'll get to see how well the airbags work out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	New Truck & Excel-1.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	342.5 KB
ID:	8335

Our house goes on the market TODAY! And our Estate Sale is this coming Saturday!
gdbontly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Nice truck!! We love ours (see signature).

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:09 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdbontly View Post
A few weeks ago, the tranny on my '03 started acting up again. After being in the shop for the first of 2 weeks, I broke down and bought a new truck. Picked it up in Colorado Springs a couple of weeks ago. I would have liked a lighter color, but this was the only one I could find within a reasonable distance that had all the options I wanted (Crew Cab, long bed, 4X4 Laramie with 4.10 gears). This is one SWEET ride! This picture was taken this past weekend on a "test run". The rear end looks just a little low to me (the 2011 rear springs are softer than the 2003). So last night, I installed some Firestone Ride-Rite airbags. We leave this Sunday to spend the week in Las Cruces for a Jeep event, so we'll get to see how well the airbags work out.

Attachment 8335

Our house goes on the market TODAY! And our Estate Sale is this coming Saturday!
Great lookin Tug......You guys are living large....quite large. Good luck and have fun! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:23 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Gdbontly
Which Firestone kit number did you use, also did the ride change any unloaded.

I have 2011 SRW 3500 Short bed and have been thinking about putting air bags on it.

thanks

Dan
Dan Hen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:41 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good Job! It sure looks good. Good luck on the estate sale and house sale. Hopefully we'll see you in April in Las Cruces @ the Excel Rally.
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:47 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hen View Post
Gdbontly
Which Firestone kit number did you use, also did the ride change any unloaded.

I have 2011 SRW 3500 Short bed and have been thinking about putting air bags on it.

thanks

Dan
Dan,

It P/N 2299. It's a "no-drill" kit. Instead of plumbing the bags separately, like the instructions say, I added a "T" so I only have one valve for both bags; I won't have to worry about balancing the pressure. To answer your question, the unloaded ride didn't change at all. Min pressure is 5 psi, which is basically no air since the max is 100 psi.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:52 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavor2BnC View Post
Good Job! It sure looks good. Good luck on the estate sale and house sale. Hopefully we'll see you in April in Las Cruces @ the Excel Rally.
Thanks, Tim. The sale hasn't even happened yet, and we've already sold a bunch of stuff to the neighbors and co-workers who know what we're doing, and asked if they could go through our stuff BEFORE the actual sale. I was afraid that no one would buy all the big furniture, but we're already sold one bedroom set, two desks, AND the two recliners we removed from the Excel (got $100 for the pair)! Also had someone asking about the dining room set as well. Saturday is going to be a zoo here. We sent the invitation to our Jeep Club. We have about 80 members, yikes!