Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #57

I woke up this morning thinking all was good and planned on heading to the dealer to get a couple of minor things fixed before heading home this afternoon. As soon as I looked outside and saw 6 inches of snow on the ground, I knew I wasn't going anywhere today. The good news is that the WC was nice and toasty inside, proving its superior insulation is everything PI says it is. The bad news is there's no power! And i don't have my generator yet. I planned on ordering it when i got home. Tonight it is expected to snow anywhere from 3-10 more inches. Looks like I'm staying put until the weather passes. I topped off the propane so I should stay warm and turned off the water at the manifold for the washer to comply with the -10 degree guarantee. Now it's just a lot of sitting and waiting. Good thing I have a fully charged kindle with a few books on it to keep me occupied.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #58

Excel Owners Club
If you want to really stay toasty get yourself two electric heaters. Put one in the living quarters and one in the garage. Set the thermostat at 70* and it will keep the basement from freezing and you burn a lot less propane. I have done this in 8* weather. I'm sure someone has a better story but I know what works for me.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:49 PM   #59

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Working "NOT" View Post
If you want to really stay toasty get yourself two electric heaters. Put one in the living quarters and one in the garage. Set the thermostat at 70* and it will keep the basement from freezing and you burn a lot less propane. I have done this in 8* weather. I'm sure someone has a better story but I know what works for me.
still, the boy done said he ain't got NO POWER and no genset.....electric heaters won't warm too much! Your idea to set the thermo to run the furnace is a good one. I personally don't run mine that high....but that's just me and I'm usually full of antifreeze!!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:23 PM   #60

Excel Owners Club
Tim,
Hope the weather breaks soon for you. Keep as much power off as possible to have for your furnace. Don't know what kind of battery or batteries you have but there is a lot of things in the rig to draw down the battery. I am looking at converting all my lights over to LED's to conserve battery power. I have purchased my solar system and am looking forward to some boon docking in the future after I get a few electrical issues taken care of first.
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:52 AM   #61

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
still, the boy done said he ain't got NO POWER and no genset.....electric heaters won't warm too much! Your idea to set the thermo to run the furnace is a good one. I personally don't run mine that high....but that's just me and I'm usually full of antifreeze!!
is antifreeze the same thing as HOT AIR??? Still?

Jim
Jim & Bona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:06 AM   #62

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
EXCUSE ME!!! I missed that part. Cooking at the VFW last night wore me out.

"antifreeze" Is that what they call that Wally World OP now??

Hot air always comes in great from ole Rockin, Jim. He don't need any "antifrezze' for that.

Tim, wish you luck with the weather. Do figure out a way to get some power to charge your batteries or you might have more problems to fix.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:08 PM   #63

Well, after a one day/night delay, I finally got out of OR and made it to Red Bluff, CA today. Last night the weather forecast called for 3-10 inches of more snow on top of the 6 inches we got the night before. Since I was totally unprepared for that kind of weather, I was stuck between a rock and hard place. I was really wishing I had brought my electric space heaters! I brought with me a house broom for basic cleaning, but tried using it to sweep off the top of the slides...of course it snapped in half...ugggg! Luckily the park rangers had a wooden handle outdoor broom they let me borrow. But since the second night called for more snow and I didn't want to have to track down a ranger for a broom the next morning, I zipped up the unit and slid the slides in for the night. I turned off everything electrical inside and ran the furnace to stay warm. I hooked up the truck and trailer including the umbilical cord so I was ready to go the this morning. With the electrical cord hooked up to the truck, all I had to do was remotely start the GMC to charge the WC batteries since they did get a little low during the night. @ Rick, I have two 12 volt batts in parallel. 6 volt batts are in the near future. I woke up early this morning and luckily, no new snow came. I headed over to the dealership to get a few minor things taken care of then hit the road.

Luckily the snow storm pretty much covered just the Eugene area so Grant's Pass and Shasta were completely clear. Going up 6% grades, big rigs were doing 15-20 mph and the GMC whizzed by them doing 60 with plenty of pedal to go. With the Allison and exhaust brake, going down 7% grades were easy. I just tapped the brake twice and the tranny down shifted and exhaust brake took control. The combo didn't just hold my speed going down the steep grades, they actually slowed my speed without further touching the brakes!

With the TSLB hitch I really couldn't even feel the trailer behind me. With my previous truck and trailer combo I was exhausted after towing 350 miles, but with the GMC/WC/TSLB I didn't even feel like I was towing. I felt more like I was just driving a car. I am really impressed with the truck! I kept my speed pretty conservative, 60-65 mph in OR and 60 in CA, and made sure to keep plenty of distance from the vehicles in front of me. I know my truck doesn't have the stopping power of a MDT or HDT, but I definitely feel the GMC is well equipped to handle the WC.

On a side note, I will be ordering a nice, shiny new Honda genny as soon as I get home! I'm over getting stuck in parks with no power!

Btw, this is what I woke up to my first morning in OR -
Old 03-22-2012, 10:46 PM   #64

Excel Owners Club
Thanks for the update. Well......sounds like I was spot-on with my predictions but sure didn't think you'd have snow in Eugene.....wet and cold yes...sounds like you are on your way buddy. Keep us posted. Especially with the pic.....I feel like I'm right there!! Thanks for the good report back on your GMC Tug truck!!! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 03-22-2012, 11:19 PM   #65

Quote:
Thanks for the update. Well......sounds like I was spot-on with my predictions but sure didn't think you'd have snow in Eugene.....wet and cold yes...sounds like you are on your way buddy. Keep us posted. Especially with the pic.....I feel like I'm right there!! Thanks for the good report back on your GMC Tug truck!!! rockin'
I wish I would have taken more pics! Btw, I talked to Donna for quite a while yesterday and tried to describe our big pantry and booth. Do you think you might be able to show her some of the interior pics I posted? Did she mention my first "oh s*#t" incident? Luckily, Sutton RV was able to fix it, but now I have to live with the tiny dent in the truck tailgate...crap! I blame the snow and lack of carbs for my stupidity, lol. It could have been worse though...after talking with the camp hosts, they mentioned that one of their friend's brand new Yukon was smashed by fallen branch due to the heavy, wet snow. And from the snow pic I posted, you can see there were lots of heavy, wet snow laden trees all around me...yikes! Throughout the day I heard loud pops and subsequent crashing of branches all around the park.

Once I get back home, I'll take pics of the valves I used to sanitize the fresh water system in addition to doing a quick write up for future reference and post everything.

And the last little tid bit, if anyone is driving through Red Bluff, CA on I-5, I HIGHLY recommend Durango RV Resort. It is probably one of the nicest RV parks I've stayed at in a very long time. The sport huge pull through sites, 50 amp, cable, propane fill service, dog washing station, RV washing station, walking trails, hot tub, pool, pet friendly with fenced dog areas, etc. If you can dream it, chances are they have it. And their customer service is fantastic!
Old 03-22-2012, 11:39 PM   #66

Excel Owners Club
Tim,
Glad everything worked out for you! Looks like the snow we had here today...wet heavy snow. Have a safe drive home.......
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:59 AM   #67

Excel Owners Club
Tim, you sure know how to breakin a new rig. We learn something everyday, just don't want it to be this experience. Glad everything work out for the best.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:19 AM   #68

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAMTJ
Well, after a one day/night delay, I finally got out of OR and made it to Red Bluff, CA today. Last night the weather forecast called for 3-10 inches of more snow on top of the 6 inches we got the night before. Since I was totally unprepared for that kind of weather, I was stuck between a rock and hard place. I was really wishing I had brought my electric space heaters! I brought with me a house broom for basic cleaning, but tried using it to sweep off the top of the slides...of course it snapped in half...ugggg! Luckily the park rangers had a wooden handle outdoor broom they let me borrow. But since the second night called for more snow and I didn't want to have to track down a ranger for a broom the next morning, I zipped up the unit and slid the slides in for the night. I turned off everything electrical inside and ran the furnace to stay warm. I hooked up the truck and trailer including the umbilical cord so I was ready to go the this morning. With the electrical cord hooked up to the truck, all I had to do was remotely start the GMC to charge the WC batteries since they did get a little low during the night. @ Rick, I have two 12 volt batts in parallel. 6 volt batts are in the near future. I woke up early this morning and luckily, no new snow came. I headed over to the dealership to get a few minor things taken care of then hit the road.

Luckily the snow storm pretty much covered just the Eugene area so Grant's Pass and Shasta were completely clear. Going up 6% grades, big rigs were doing 15-20 mph and the GMC whizzed by them doing 60 with plenty of pedal to go. With the Allison and exhaust brake, going down 7% grades were easy. I just tapped the brake twice and the tranny down shifted and exhaust brake took control. The combo didn't just hold my speed going down the steep grades, they actually slowed my speed without further touching the brakes!

With the TSLB hitch I really couldn't even feel the trailer behind me. With my previous truck and trailer combo I was exhausted after towing 350 miles, but with the GMC/WC/TSLB I didn't even feel like I was towing. I felt more like I was just driving a car. I am really impressed with the truck! I kept my speed pretty conservative, 60-65 mph in OR and 60 in CA, and made sure to keep plenty of distance from the vehicles in front of me. I know my truck doesn't have the stopping power of a MDT or HDT, but I definitely feel the GMC is well equipped to handle the WC.

On a side note, I will be ordering a nice, shiny new Honda genny as soon as I get home! I'm over getting stuck in parks with no power!

Btw, this is what I woke up to my first morning in OR -
It sounds like it was an exciting time. We hope you had fun.

When you gauge your performance against a big rig going up a hill, make sure it is pound for pound. If your LGT was towing their weight, you wouldn't move up the hill. If they were weighing what you weigh combined, in other words "bobtail", they would leave you in the dust going up that 6% grade. I'm happy to hear that you're keeping lots of room in front of you for stopping. There will be a time you'll need it!

Safe travels!
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #69

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAMTJ View Post
I wish I would have taken more pics! Btw, I talked to Donna for quite a while yesterday and tried to describe our big pantry and booth. Do you think you might be able to show her some of the interior pics I posted? Did she mention my first "oh s*#t" incident? Luckily, Sutton RV was able to fix it, but now I have to live with the tiny dent in the truck tailgate...crap! I blame the snow and lack of carbs for my stupidity, lol. It could have been worse though...after talking with the camp hosts, they mentioned that one of their friend's brand new Yukon was smashed by fallen branch due to the heavy, wet snow. And from the snow pic I posted, you can see there were lots of heavy, wet snow laden trees all around me...yikes! Throughout the day I heard loud pops and subsequent crashing of branches all around the park.

Once I get back home, I'll take pics of the valves I used to sanitize the fresh water system in addition to doing a quick write up for future reference and post everything.

And the last little tid bit, if anyone is driving through Red Bluff, CA on I-5, I HIGHLY recommend Durango RV Resort. It is probably one of the nicest RV parks I've stayed at in a very long time. The sport huge pull through sites, 50 amp, cable, propane fill service, dog washing station, RV washing station, walking trails, hot tub, pool, pet friendly with fenced dog areas, etc. If you can dream it, chances are they have it. And their customer service is fantastic!
Hey Tim......glad you got out of there without any more issues! Regarding the Durango RV Resort...it is very nice! Check out their ratings with RV Parks Review. RV Park Reviews :: Red Bluff, California ( CA ) - RV Parks and Campground Reviews
Looks like the lowest rating they had is a 9 and that's cause someone heard a train in the distance!!! I've read about this place when they were in the planning stages. Built with the "Eco thing" in mind. I believe this is the park that has underground watering so no sprinklers heads to deal with spraying your rig and less lost to evaporation. Bet they paid big for that.....and we pay them bacl at the door!!!! Nice to have park options like this! rockin'
Old 03-23-2012, 08:45 PM   #70

Excel Owners Club
OK Tim......I give.....I need my daily recap on happenin's on the road!!!!!