Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2015, 06:51 AM   #29

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Are you sure/convinced its the cooling unit?
Must be. Unit works fine now and all he changed was the coil.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2015, 09:06 AM   #30

from your last post it sounds as if it is repaired. Glad to hear that.

the newest fad is to use a home style refrigerator using a large inverter and more batteries. My buddy just bought a new motor home equipped that way and he's very unhappy. His first trip was to Quartzsite, he was constantly having to run a generator to keep the batteries charged. I haven't talked to him in the last couple of weeks but his plan was to replace it with an absorption type refrigerator - a regular RV refrigerator.

by constantly I meant daily for several hours even though we had installed over 500 watts of solar.
BradBev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:22 AM   #31

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradBev View Post
...the newest fad is to use a home style refrigerator using a large inverter and more batteries. My buddy just bought a new motor home equipped that way and he's very unhappy. His first trip was to Quartzsite, he was constantly having to run a generator to keep the batteries charged. I haven't talked to him in the last couple of weeks but his plan was to replace it with an absorption type refrigerator - a regular RV refrigerator.

by constantly I meant daily for several hours even though we had installed over 500 watts of solar.
Something is wrong.

What refrigerator did they install?

Were they running the icemaker or other power consuming fridge feature?

Something else using the power?

No way I'd need several hours of generator plus solar to run my Samsung.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:01 AM   #32

Excel Owners Club
X2 with Doc. There are way too many residential out there in RVs that don't have this issue. Sumting wong. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:10 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Obviously either a major overload and consumption of battery power from some other sources or a newbie that doesn't have a clue.

I can go over 8 hours without my generator auto-starting when the batteries get to 50% SOC.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:35 AM   #34

it is not a Samsung and he is using the ice maker in the refrigerator. I assumed it was manufactured by Samsung but I'm not absolutely sure. I see identical units to my home Samsung Refrigerator in stores with other brand names on them.

he is planning to replace it with a Norcold 1095 with ice maker.

he is a long time rver but this new Fleetwood diesel pusher is new to him. It's possible he could fine tune the system and get a little better results but I think he plans to go back to the tried-and-true old reliable.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:43 AM   #35

I DO NOT want to start WWIII but what are the advantages of Residential over traditional? We are not full-timers but been called substantial part-timers. LOL I seem to have plenty of room for everything I need. Ice I do the old tray way & place in freezer bags. Not saying my way is best by any means. Residential is out of the question in our unit, I'd have to give up my pull-out pantry that they no longer use. Just wondering.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:51 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Residential fridges are NOT for everyone. But they are a far cry better than dealing with the numerous problems that the Norcold 12XX series fridges have caused hundreds of thousands of RV owners including the big one, fires, total loss of RV and even death.

My RV fridge was always called the NotSoCold form hell. I won't go into the history of my NotSoCOld as you can read all about it here on iRV2.com with some simple searching.

Switching to the Samsung RF-197 back in 2012 was the very BEST upgrade I have ever done to my coach. It has improved my RV Full-Time lifestyle by 1000%. You would have to carry my dead body out the door before I give up my residential fridge.

Enough said!

To each their own.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:15 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
X2 with Doc. There are way too many residential out there in RVs that don't have this issue. Sumting wong. rockin'
I installed a Samsung 297 36" wide and measured current load. While running at high cooling I get 4 amps at 120v. Inverter is drawing about 42 amps from battery pack. If I shut off icemaker and set to energy savings on low I get about 2.5 amps and about 28 amps from batterys. On a cooler day and no ice I get almost 2 days before I need to run genny.
Samsung really did there homework with there refrigerators as the compressors are variable speed and run on three phase current. An on board inverter takes the 120v single phase and converts to three phase with variable frequency allowing for adjusting cooling needs.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:21 AM   #38

Excel Owners Club
The ice maker is a power hog. Turn it off if not on shore power. Also turn on energy saver mode.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:36 AM   #39

A little more background on my bud's unit. It's a Whirlpool which may not be as efficient as the Samsung (we like our home unit), if indeed it's not made by Samsung.

I'd consider trying a Samsung but I don't have an autostart generator and think that might be very a very useful option. It would be tough trying to run a residential without the backup of a generator even with lots of solar.

As Richard said, residential refrigerators are not for everyone. I guess I've been lucky, we've been RVing almost 40 years and have only had one absorption failure, a Dometic in a Casita in 2006. Luckily in warranty.

However let me say if I was a full-timer and spend most of my time on the grid, there would be no question which I'd choose. But, our mode is boondocking, on our last trip to Alaska, we were connected to power 4 nights over a 3 month period. (Headed back for up to 4 months this time, departing first of June.)

My bud will end up with a pretty nice package after the trade out. The residential option included 2 extra golf cart batteries, a 2000 watt Magnum pure sine wave inverter/charger, plus we installed 4ea. 140 watt panels with a Bogart solar meter/controller package.

His son has a cabinet shop so the Norcold installation will be professional and he'll have an extra pull out pantry since the Norcold isn't as wide as the Whirlpool.

So, no conflict here, there's advantages to each option, just depends on your style of RVing.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:29 AM   #40

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradBev View Post
from your last post it sounds as if it is repaired. Glad to hear that.

the newest fad is to use a home style refrigerator using a large inverter and more batteries. My buddy just bought a new motor home equipped that way and he's very unhappy. His first trip was to Quartzsite, he was constantly having to run a generator to keep the batteries charged. I haven't talked to him in the last couple of weeks but his plan was to replace it with an absorption type refrigerator - a regular RV refrigerator.

This is exactly what I referred to earlier. (Please refer to my post of the 28th on this thread). People who don't use and understand solar should not, in my opinion, be making bold statements about solar useage. This guy mentioned above is going to spend a lot of money because of misrepresentations about solar and refers. Solar is not linear with a lot of variables involved. I have had solar for 5 years and am constantly trying to make my system better and feel that it is very efficient.The above does not surprise me at all.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:43 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
There is a place in Shipshewana Indiana (about 20 miles from Elkhart) that specializes in Norcold and Dometic RV refrigerator repairs. We had or basement air replaced by Leon and he had a shop full of the refrigerators that he was doing repairs on. He does all sizes of the RV frigs. Here is his website National RV Refrigeration.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:44 PM   #42

Excel Owners Club
Here is some information on residential refers for those interested.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Have YOU ever boondocked with residential fridge?

Tags
norcold