Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2015, 11:44 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Norcold refer coil plugged

Refer quit cooling and tech came out today and said the cooling unit was plugged and needed to be replaced. Warranty went out in Jan. Thought about the new helium Atwoods but they don't make a 10 cf unit. My unit is gas/elec. because we boondock camp so much. Probably cost around $1,500 to replace cooling unit, hopefully Monday. Anybody got extra $$$?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2015, 03:11 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
If you have solar panels and a good battery bank you can get a residential fridge. The amp draw is amazingly low. Probably buy a new fridge with much greater capacity than repairing the absorption fridge.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:44 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Look at the amish cooling units.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 06:36 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
If you have solar panels and a good battery bank you can get a residential fridge. The amp draw is amazingly low. Probably buy a new fridge with much greater capacity than repairing the absorption fridge.
I figure those things have to pull at least 80-100 amps@ dc over a 24 hour period and that is more than I want to deal with on my set-up. Now my usage is around 80-100 amps/day with tv, hair dryer,charging stuff, etc. and that would increase it to around 160 ish. I only put in about 22 amps/hr in good sun conditions I would have to go to 6 batteries and 5 solar panels and have room for neither.

I've thought about the Amish units and I think the helium will solve the problems with dual use refers.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:44 AM   #5

Take your rig down a bumpy road such as Interstate 10 across Louisiana, this should give it a good burping....
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 06:58 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Some people have removed them and turned them upside-down and given them a good shaking also.

There is LOTS of information about absorption refrigeration on the Internet.

Try some Googling and see what you can gleam.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:26 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Sorry to hear of your refer woes. I've also heard of some folks taking the refer for a bumpy ride or turning the cooling unit over and shaking. All that I heard of have had NOT limited long term success. Must refers had a another "stroke" shortly after the first. We've been lucky so far on our N1095 refer, when our RV refer dies (major issue)......we's going to a residential for sure. rockin'

Does anyone know what make and model of residential refer that replaces the N1095? Lots of info on that for the N1200 on the internet......but not on the N1095. Thanks!!!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:20 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
A little birdie just reminded me that a bad thermister would also cause the cooling unit not to cool. Try unplugging the thermister. If the unit begins to cool then the problem is a simple thermister not the cooling unit. The thermister is clipped to the fins on the inside rear of the fridge. Unclip and unplug it. If the cooling unit is good this will cause it to run full cold. Thermister cost about $40 I believe. You can find YouTube videos about them
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:31 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Chief........there are about a couple dozen things that would cause the refer to not cool. Hopefully the person who checked it out has eliminated those area prior to condemning the CU. A qualified person can do the checks in a matter of seconds!!!! rockin'

PS.....I'm servicing my fire extinguishers today!!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 02-28-2015, 08:33 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
A little birdie just reminded me that a bad thermister would also cause the cooling unit not to cool. Try unplugging the thermister. If the unit begins to cool then the problem is a simple thermister not the cooling unit. The thermister is clipped to the fins on the inside rear of the fridge. Unclip and unplug it. If the cooling unit is good this will cause it to run full cold. Thermister cost about $40 I believe. You can find YouTube videos about them
And make sure to reinstall the thermistor in the same fin it came from. rockin'
Old 02-28-2015, 09:53 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Rockin- what do you mean when you say "servicing my AC today"? I thought one had to take them to a professional if they needed charging or servicing other than agitating them and checking the pressure.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:32 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw8ite View Post
Rockin- what do you mean when you say "servicing my AC today"? I thought one had to take them to a professional if they needed charging or servicing other than agitating them and checking the pressure.
Don, I'm looking at this thread and don't see anything about servicing A/C....fire extinguishers but not AC.

That said, when I do service the A/C, I clean the register filters in the rig about once a month in the summer. I did a nice write up with pix but it has been purged. Once a year I pull the outside unit cover and clean the condenser. I vacuum out with the brush attachment on our Dirt Devil. Sometimes you find lots of leaves, twigs, ect. in there if you been parked under a shedding tree. Other times not. If it's real bad, you have to use a special cleaner, but I've never had to. If I find very much stuff there, then I'll clean out the evaporator the same way about every other year. That's all I do. If you have the old timey chill grill, then snugging the A/C unit mounting thru bolts just a little to prevent water leaks inside rig. It's also a good idea to replace the big foam gasket between the unit and roof every 6-8 years for safety's sake. These pix are of the old '05 Excel. rockin'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Cover (800x600).jpg
Views:	100
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	87336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Condenser exposed (800x600).jpg
Views:	96
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	87337  

Name:	Loose bolt inside (800x600).jpg
Views:	93
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	87338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vacuum Brush (800x600).jpg
Views:	95
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	87339  

Name:	Evaporator core exposed (800x600).jpg
Views:	95
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	87340   Click image for larger version

Name:	vacuum hose (600x800).jpg
Views:	97
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	87341  

Old 03-01-2015, 06:29 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Has anyone had any experience with Norcold? Wonder if they would feel any responsibility since this unit went out of warranty Jan. 6? I plan on calling them on Monday.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:32 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTwoStep View Post
Has anyone had any experience with Norcold? Wonder if they would feel any responsibility since this unit went out of warranty Jan. 6? I plan on calling them on Monday.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Based on what you say, I'd think some kind of policy adjustment as one would think a refer should last longer than that. I've heard they ask for if the annual maintenance was performed. I'm sending you an email Gary. rockin'

Tags
norcold