Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2019, 02:39 PM   #1

Norcold refrigerator issues

Checking out the rv today and turned on the refrigerator. Apparently I have an issue with the gfci breaker, currently checking that out. The fridge will work on an extension cord. Tried it on lp and it will light with the ignitor clicking but after about 30 seconds the clicking stops and the flame shuts off. Any suggestions?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2019, 02:49 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdaniels View Post
Checking out the rv today and turned on the refrigerator. Apparently I have an issue with the gfci breaker, currently checking that out. The fridge will work on an extension cord. Tried it on lp and it will light with the ignitor clicking but after about 30 seconds the clicking stops and the flame shuts off. Any suggestions?
IIRC, there's a flame sensor. If, after a period of time after the igniter starts (30 seconds?) the flame sensor doesn't sense flame, is shuts off the LP.

Good luck,
Stu
Old 06-30-2019, 03:08 PM   #3

Thanks, I believe this is the issue. The ignitor will glow red but about the time it is glowing, I hear a click and it shuts off. I plugged a shop vac into the gfci outlet and it didn’t trip. Plugged the fridge back in and it held. May be a weak breaker.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:32 PM   #4

After more testing, I’m leaning towards a new control board.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:51 PM   #5

Could just be the spark electrode
Electrode provides the spark for ignition BUT is also used for 'flame proving' signal which circuit board needs to recieve to keep DC on gas valve

Flame Proving signal is generated by the FLAME
It is a 'milliamp' DC current that can be stopped easily by:
Dirty/loose high voltage wire connection at circuit board transformer
Loose high voltage wire inside the ceramic insulator
Cracked ceramic insulator

Dirty/sooted electrode
Dirty/loose spark electrode assembly mounting screw (ground path)

Could be bad circuit on the circuit board

But would rule out spark electrode first...cheaper
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:52 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
So, does the burner ignite...or not?

The refrigerator will function solely on 12v power. All the control functions require 12v. The control circuits, the gas valve and ignitor will all function on 12v power. The only time 110v power is necessary is to power the electric heating element. Even then, all the control functions are powered by the 12v power.

What model is your refrigerator?

Take care,
Stu
Old 06-30-2019, 05:26 PM   #7

Model N811F Yes the ignitor does light and the flame stays lit for around 30 seconds, sparking the entire time, I assuming from the constant clicking, then there is an audible click on the left side of the unit and the flame shuts off.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Could just be the spark electrode
Electrode provides the spark for ignition BUT is also used for 'flame proving' signal which circuit board needs to recieve to keep DC on gas valve

Flame Proving signal is generated by the FLAME
It is a 'milliamp' DC current that can be stopped easily by:
Dirty/loose high voltage wire connection at circuit board transformer
Loose high voltage wire inside the ceramic insulator
Cracked ceramic insulator

Dirty/sooted electrode
Dirty/loose spark electrode assembly mounting screw (ground path)

Could be bad circuit on the circuit board

But would rule out spark electrode first...cheaper
I did take this loose and clean it a bit, but didn’t do anything with the mounting bracket or screw, may have to give that a try too. Thanks
Old 06-30-2019, 05:52 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Here's a link to the Service Manual for Models N61X/N81X: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10...-N81X%20Series

Do you see an error message/fault code on the control panel?

Can you see the flame while it's burning and describe the appearance of the flame; in particular, is the flame blue or orange? Blue is good; orange suggests that the burner needs to be cleaned. It may be possible that a dirty burner (orange flame) is causing the flame sensor to sense bad/no flame and close the gas valve.

Take care,
Stu
Old 06-30-2019, 06:08 PM   #10

Thanks Stu, I have the manual for our model. It does not have that in depth of error codes, it is an 04 model I believe. It only has a few different series of blinking lights and after the second set it says to see your service technician. As far as the flame goes it is a good blue flame, ignitor/sensor is in the flame and will glow red before the board clicks and shuts the unit down. I’ve found both items online and since I have to order them, I will probably just get both.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:23 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Good luck!

Take care,
Stu
Old 07-01-2019, 07:51 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
While you're getting some good info here, I must agree with Old Bisquit's post. He has lots of years of experience and always shared great info with me.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:23 PM   #13

Update: installed a new control board and everything works as it should. Thanks for the help.

Tags
norcold, refrigerator