Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Off the Road in Prescott

We have decided to stop full timing and settle down in Prescott, AZ.

When we set out almost five years ago, we sought adventure and a new place to live. Suddenly, on our way back to our home park, Park of the Sierra, we found it in northern Arizona.

While we love the people and the setting in Park Sierra, we did not want to eventually settle down in an RV. Not a fifth wheel, and not a motor home. Therefore we kept looking for a place where we could join a community of like minded people, some place with four mild seasons.

Two weeks in Prescott and we have an accepted offer in a 55+ community of manufactured homes. Pine Lakes - 55+ Community in Prescott, Arizona Backs up to 1.5 million acres of National Forest. Very affordable in this depressed housing market. We bit.

The setting reminds us a lot of Park Sierra. Small manufactured homes among tall trees, and winding streets on the side of a hill.

The house couldn’t be better for us. 1400 spacious square feet in a little used 2005 house. Fully and tastefully furnished, a bonus for us with nothing but a set of LazyBoy chairs and a Sleep Number mattress.

We expect to move into our house in ten days. Put the RV into storage and the truck too after we buy a car [!]. Sell them both.

It’s like living anew. We have been living in our RV since we retired. This will be completely different. We are excited.

I will miss youse [virtual] guys. Our banter and our camaraderie. But I won't miss the maintenance. Sure I have a house now, but I know more about that stuff, and it lasts longer when you don't move it.

Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Wow! B&J what a surprise. Prescott is a nice little community as we have visited it. I bet you'll love it there. I know that all us FTers will have to face a more permanent setting and that happens at different points in our lives. We have an exit plan (flexible, that's cast in Jello right now) but frankly I hope we don't do it for a while.

May you have many years of joy in your new lifestyle and hope we see you someday soon!!! Best of Luck! rockin' and Ms. Donna
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:05 AM   #3

I wish You and Jenna the best! Know that the decision to make this change can be both a hard one and one full of excitement.

Great joy going Forward.

Chris
Old 03-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #4

Our daughter and son-in-law lived in Prescott for a couple of years while he was at Embry Riddle Uni. We visited a couple of times and were favorably impressed. They lived in an apartment complex not too far from the airport and the ERAU campus.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
hope to fill your spot on the road next year...enjoy your new home.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Best of everything to you and Jenna. Been fun keeping up along and along.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Congrats on the new home, Bruce & Jenna! (I am sure Clancy will enjoy having a place to call home too.)

I do have a few questions for you though...
  1. What made you decide on Prescott & not Cottonwood ?
  2. Will you keep up your blog?
  3. What are the car choices the two of you are looking at?
  4. Is the guest room the "rose" room or the "fishing" room that we will all get to enjoy when we come visit?
Again...Congrats...I am sure you will both enjoy your new location! You can always pop in on the "Off-Topic" thread to give the Gang a hard time.

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMama View Post
Congrats on the new home, Bruce & Jenna! (I am sure Clancy will enjoy having a place to call home too.)

4. Is the guest room the "rose" room or the "fishing" room that we will all get to enjoy when we come visit?
Again...Congrats...I am sure you will both enjoy your new location! You can always pop in on the "Off-Topic" thread to give the Gang a hard time.

Careful B&J.....Mama is a "fender lizard" and she can "slip" into a car quicker than Bryan can get you in a new Excel (your dream coach!!!) No cash....no problem.....and yes we have "credit life"!!!! Just teasin' as always of course!!! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Quote:

This looks like a 50 questions moment!!
"
Second what Tom said about "Fender Lizard". She knows the in's and out's.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:24 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:

I will ignore the remarks of others.

1. Short answer. We have not seen Cottonwood. Did see Sedona - too much $$$$ and too many tourists.

Sight unseen, Cottonwood is considerably smaller than Prescott [11,00 vs 40,000]. Also hotter in the summer, which we don't like. Probably has fewer services that we will depend on as we grow older [in our 60s now].

Prescott has a Costco and Trader Joes, our primary locations for hunting and gathering. And we really like the Pine Lakes development - the location next to the National Forest, the low maintenance lots and community, and the low price for a very nice manufactured home. [Of course, after 5 years in an RV, anything over 500 square feet looks like a mansion.]

2. I plan to keep up my blog as long as I have something to write about. Other than my daily meals and trips to the store. Actually I should have more time to write, now that I'm not repairing black tanks and 12v lights and water leaks and....

3. Will go to Phoenix today to look at cars . Honda Accord V6 EX-L, Toyota Avalon XLS, and BMW 328i convertible. You know which one I favor. But it has a very small trunk tho with the hard top down.

4. Don't ask me about the interior of the house. [Closing on Friday.] I was looking at construction. And planning the home theater and computer network. Jenna has already mentally rearranged the furniture. [But you know who will rearrange it physically.]

My sister-in-law has visited us on the road several times in the last five years. She was always a good guest, quickly folding up her linens from the inflatable bed in the LR and washing the dishes. Now that we have a dishwasher, I feel ambivalent. [And told her so.] She arrives this weekend.
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #11

B&J,

Good luck on this new part of your life! I think it is cool. Have motorcycled in Prescott area many times and loved it. The fact there is a Trader Joes speaks volumes. I think you will like it!
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote