Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2007, 01:38 PM   #1

Well, we picked up our 33RSO on Wednesday..spent a few days in Texas and then got caught in the ice storm on waqy home. Few gremlins we are working on..but in general, we are very happy. Here are a few questions...some of them I may answer for myself after I run a few tests..

1. My battery life when not plugged in..is very, very short. May be that the heater puts a very heavy load on the system? Am running some test right now to see if I just got delivered a weak/bad battery. What success have you folks had with running the furnance on battery power...1 hour..6 hours etc? Outside temp was 30 and we were trying to keep coach at 65-70.

2. We have old fashioned non-hydraulic slides.They are very slow..compared to our old wildcat..problem..or are they kust geared real low and slow ius normal?

3. the carbon monoxide sensor started going off...are those things reliable..if so..could my heater be causing it? That and the water heater..and I guess stove are only creators of carbon monoxide..right?

Other than that...seems like a quality unit..lots of nice touches. Towed really well..even though my old truck was way over weight for this rig. New truck comes in tomorrow!
litespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2007, 01:38 PM   #2

Well, we picked up our 33RSO on Wednesday..spent a few days in Texas and then got caught in the ice storm on waqy home. Few gremlins we are working on..but in general, we are very happy. Here are a few questions...some of them I may answer for myself after I run a few tests..

1. My battery life when not plugged in..is very, very short. May be that the heater puts a very heavy load on the system? Am running some test right now to see if I just got delivered a weak/bad battery. What success have you folks had with running the furnance on battery power...1 hour..6 hours etc? Outside temp was 30 and we were trying to keep coach at 65-70.

2. We have old fashioned non-hydraulic slides.They are very slow..compared to our old wildcat..problem..or are they kust geared real low and slow ius normal?

3. the carbon monoxide sensor started going off...are those things reliable..if so..could my heater be causing it? That and the water heater..and I guess stove are only creators of carbon monoxide..right?

Other than that...seems like a quality unit..lots of nice touches. Towed really well..even though my old truck was way over weight for this rig. New truck comes in tomorrow!
Old 04-09-2007, 05:42 PM   #3

I am no expert on any of this though I know our 2 6volt deep cycles run our coach a good long time furnace included with only a hour or two of charging a day if even that as we spent a week dry camping with furnace at night in YellowStone last year and never noticed weak battiries at all. Excel puts in a higher end converter probably 60amp with a built in 3 stage smart (charger Charge Wizard)http://www.progressivedyn.com/power_...ters_9200.html that seems to be a cut above other converters. I would run 2 6volt batteries and we are planning to make ours a 4 battery bank this year. Hope this might help you. Have Fun
Paul,Roxanne,3YOCharlie
2007,30'RSO
2006,Duramax,CC,DRW,TV.
Minot, ND.

2007 Excel, 30RSO, Demco Glide Ride, B&W Companion.
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:17 AM   #4

I know that more than just carbon monoxide will send our sensor in to fits. Any aerosol spray and hair spray is the worst our sensor goes nuts.
So how do you like the bike carrier?

2005 36RE3 Mobile Suites
Jim & Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:17 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Jay & Lee,
Folks have answered your 1 & 3 concerns -- the electric slides are s-l-o-w, as are the landing gear.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:21 AM   #6

Thanks for the response. I haven't tested the bile carrier yet..although it's mounting and construction seem excellent.

One more battery question...I know from my last 5th wheel..that if the batteries are a little down, when I hookj up my generator..Honda 2000, I still can't initially use my microwave..because the generator output is being sucked up by the batteries. This makes my wife crazy. Now that I have a battery cutoff switch....can I isolate the battery's by shuttinb the switch..turn on the generator..send all the 110 V power to the microwave..cook dinner etc..then when done with that..turn the batteries back on and let the generator charge them?