Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2016, 09:23 AM   #1

Opinions on stabalizers?

I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on stabilizers? I was driving past a RV lot and noticed several rigs have bars which attach to the jacks, then to the frame. I guess it is similar to an anti-sway bar on a ball hitch in idea.. There are a few sales videos on line, seems to take the wobble out of the trailer. A quick internet search shows Lippert makes a set, JT's Strong Arm RV Jack Stabilizer for about $340.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JT_strongarm_1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	118449  
Masch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2016, 10:11 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I had a set of JT strong-arms on my previous 5ver. It was a 40ft, 16,000# unit and the strong arms provided a great deal of stabilization.

The set up is a bit different between models but they pretty well all provide the same functionality. I read a couple of posts a while back where one user described an alternate model (sorry can't remember the name) as easier to set up if you're moving a lot.

My $0.02.
Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 02:53 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Masch,

I haven't personally used any of the current stabilizers that you mentioned. I've been in several rigs that have them and they seem to improve the movement a lot. With that said, I've used the tripod stand under the hitch. Helps in the front movement but doesn't do much for the main part of the unit. They are also bulky, cumbersome, and a finger pincher when moving from site to site. Not worth the trouble in my opinion. If I wasn't so cheap I'd probably do the JT Armstrong myself....but like I said....I'm CHEAP!!!

Just FYI, I've found that shimming up the foot pads on the jacks, so there is minimal ram travel does a lot for trailer shake. The shorter the travel the less the flex in the ram.

When are parked for a season, I use my redneck stabilizer setup in the front and the store bought CW stabilizer in the rear and it is pretty darn solid. I'll look for pix from another post. rockin'

Here's a link that's a bit long...but has some good stuff to think about......http://www.irv2.com/forums/f116/exce...on-205167.html
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 05:12 PM   #4

Wow, Thanks for that link... did not mean to repeat everything which was already discussed. I will do something in the stabilizer department as well as one of the block ideas to shorten the ram. You guys discussed and solved every issue I was thinking about! I do have one of those tripod things as well and have to agree, hassle to haul and set up.
Masch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:42 PM   #5

Mike,
I had a Steady Fast system installed on my '15 31IKE. SteadyFast: 5th Wheel and RV Trailer Stabilizer

It does a great job stabilizing the coach. The service guy at dealer that installed it was impressed too, he was surprised at how well it performed. I think it's slightly cheaper than the JT Armstong.
BRS50 is offline   Reply With Quote