Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:14 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Pantry back brace needs support

Hi Folks,

I have a problem with the pantry drawers and was wondering if others with a similar year/model are having the same problem. When pulling out a drawer, the back brace flexes about a half inch or so before the catch releases. When the brace snaps back, one or more drawers will also release and slid open.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pantry1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	132233

The block attached to the back brace is not attached to the wall. Should it be? I do not remember the drawers flexing the back brace when we first bought the trailer. Are the blocks attached to the back brace also supposed to be attached to the wall?

There seems to be a wall stud just to the left of the block. I thought I would attach a small angle bracket to the block and wall stud to stabilize the back brace. Not sure how the wall is constructed. Anything I should be aware of, such as electrical. Seems the wall studs are a 2x3, am I correct?

Name:	Pantry2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	132234

Hey Rockin', I did attach some pictures.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2016, 07:01 PM   #2

I don't have that style of pantry slide but understand the problem. I believe adding the L bracket will secure the back brace. Would guess it was glued at assembly and over the years and use broke connection. It wouldn't hurt as your already there to add a couple more going down the back brace....might want too spray the catches with silicone to make them catch easier.

Wonder if the screw just goes into the block or through an into the wall?

workhorse
Old 07-06-2016, 07:13 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshop View Post
It wouldn't hurt as your already there to add a couple more going down the back brace....might want too spray the catches with silicone to make them catch easier.

Wonder if the screw just goes into the block or through an into the wall?
Workhorse, thanks for the suggestion. I think one more in the middle is a good idea.

If the screw does go through the block and into the wall, all it had to screw into was the thin paneling because the screw missed the stud.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:35 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
I added the angle brackets to the wood blocks and screwed the brackets into the wall stud. The crossbars joints were very weak. The board running up and down was one piece. The horizontal boards are butted to the center board and fastened with what looked like staples. As an over-engineer, I would have used a crossed lap joint, gluing and stapling the joint.

I did add another block just above the center crossbar attaching it to the wall with an angle bracket. The back brace is now very stable and, in fact, the drawers are easier to pull out without the flex of the back brace.

I didn't get any pictures. My phone was just about out of juice. I will take some pictures next week when I start loading the trailer up for our trip.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:05 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Here is the pictures of the reinforced pantry. The center brace I added had to be placed at an angle because the wall stud was not where I expected it to be. The stud was not plumb.

Name:	20160801_091241_1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	134932
Old 08-08-2016, 08:39 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Thanks for the update, Carl. Looks funky, but the main thing is it works!!!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:48 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Thanks for the update, Carl. Looks funky, but the main thing is it works!!!
Funky!!! With the sliding drawers in and the pantry door closed, it look awesome.

I believe in the KISS methodology. The most simple solution is usually the best.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:25 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
I had my pantry reinforced under warranty at Smith Center a couple of years ago on my 2013 Excel Winslow 34IKE. No issues since. They did a beautiful job. Definitely over engineered repair.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:15 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
I had my pantry reinforced under warranty at Smith Center a couple of years ago on my 2013 Excel Winslow 34IKE. No issues since. They did a beautiful job. Definitely over engineered repair.
I'm a certifiable over-engineer, well, at least certifiable. If I was a full-timer or even a summer-timer, I would have probably redesigned the whole pantry. A shortage of time and a full schedule forced me to take the most simplest course of action.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:46 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLnJANIS View Post
I'm a certifiable over-engineer, well, at least certifiable. If I was a full-timer or even a summer-timer, I would have probably redesigned the whole pantry. A shortage of time and a full schedule forced me to take the most simplest course of action.
Isn't that what I said? Of course I said it in Texican!!!!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 08-10-2016, 01:57 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Isn't that what I said? Of course I said it in Texican!!!!
Yea, but funky is not in my Southern Engineering handbook glossary.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:05 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLnJANIS View Post
Yea, but funky is not in my Southern Engineering handbook glossary.
So now ya know! I know where you stay in Burleson, I have a friend in Cleburne, which BTW is out there so far...it's where the chickens mess with the owls!!!! You ain't foolin' me none!

Tags
ace