Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2008, 02:55 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
I have a '05 chevy short bed with a draw tite 16000 lb slide hitch Do I have any conserns with my 30 foot excel with hitting the cab if the slide it back or is there an extended pin box I can install to take care of this the trailer when punchased had a goose neck addaptor and this pin box was installed to take its place I am concerned that it might still hit.The hitch hiker my inlaws have has a pinbox that extends out 14 inches or so in front of the unit and no slide is needed at all thanks in advance for your help with this consern
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2008, 02:55 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
I have a '05 chevy short bed with a draw tite 16000 lb slide hitch Do I have any conserns with my 30 foot excel with hitting the cab if the slide it back or is there an extended pin box I can install to take care of this the trailer when punchased had a goose neck addaptor and this pin box was installed to take its place I am concerned that it might still hit.The hitch hiker my inlaws have has a pinbox that extends out 14 inches or so in front of the unit and no slide is needed at all thanks in advance for your help with this consern
Old 11-24-2008, 03:06 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the trailer when punchased had a goose neck addaptor and this pin box was installed to take its place </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This statement makes me think that what you have is not stock. If so, none of us can help you because you have a "one off" situation. Best is to just hook up and with a helper, very gently jackknife the trailer and stop if looks like it's gonna hit.

Assuming this is a manual slide hitch instead of one that slides back automatically, I'd be more likely to think that you would forget to slide it back and for sure it will hit then.

Good luck.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:07 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
oh it would hit for sure the. is there an aftermarket box that can be found that it extra long?
Old 11-24-2008, 05:49 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
I doing this from off the top of my head, but you have two choices. The standard box which I believe is the Fabex model 730 and the extended pin with is model 765. The 765 is 9" longer. It is made for the short box. Again....this is just off the top of my head....HTHs. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:46 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Unless your king pin position in your hitch is over 48 inches from your back window (and more just for insurance) you can kiss your rear window as history,even with the extended pin box. Your camper is at least 48 inches from the pin to either side of the camper so anything less on hitch pin position call your glass and body man. Some of the newer campers with the corners of the camper removed might work.
brassringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:11 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Extending the pin box does not change the width of the 5th wheel. In my case, with a 102" wide 5th wheel, the kingpin axis of the hitch must be more than 51" behind the back of the cab to avoid contact at a 90 degree angle (this isn't a problem with a long bed). All an extended pin box does is move the contact point outboard on the cab if there is insufficient clearance.

Have you considered a sliding hitch such as the PullRite SuperGlide?

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:15 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
In reviewing Steve's Post he does have a Slider Hitch, but it would be a Manual slider, instead of the Automatic Slider of Pullrites... The True way to determine the center of the pin location on a Fifth wheel, is take half the width of the fifth wheel and add 4" to that... On a standard fifth being 96" wide, this would be 48" + 4" making it 52" from the rear window of the back of the tow vehicle...This formula has been used for years in hitch installation...And granted it has been used from Long Box application, doesn't work for the short box installation.
It sounds like you do not have the orginal king pin for the camper... One other option would to be put on a Glide Ride Pin Box.. The Box that Excel does see, does push the unit back and give some added distance to the unit, but does not give you a 90 degree turning radius... the only way this can be obtained is if you do put on the Pullrite Super Glide, and this still doesn't give you 100% if you are on a little uneven ground... the hitch comes in handy when you are in tight turning situations such as in Gas stations, small campgrounds, etc.
I guess first thing that I would attempt to figure out would be what type of king pin is currently on the camper...
wrongway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:23 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Tom,
As usual...you are "on it" again. Thanks for taking the time to share your expertise! I learn a lot from your stuff. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:26 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Thank you all VERY much for all the info It makes perfect sence thatr the extention of the pin does not change the width of the canper since it is centered with the camper no matter how far forvard you have all saved me alot of $$$$ and I understand how a take my measurements . THANKS ever so much