Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2008, 03:52 PM   #1
JLS

Excel Owners Club
We've had our new 26TRW for a couple of weeks now but haven't used it yet other that to tow it home from the dealer. As I was checking it out a couple days ago I noticed that the pin box is out of level from side to side about a quarter of an inch. It seems that PI didn't drill the holes in the mounting brackets in the same place side to side. Even though my hitch has front to rear and side to side movement, does anyone think that this is a problem? I had thought about pulling the pin box and grinding out the holes a little to level it up but I'm worried about the oversized holes working the bolts under stress.

2008 Excel R26TRW
JLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
JLS

Excel Owners Club
We've had our new 26TRW for a couple of weeks now but haven't used it yet other that to tow it home from the dealer. As I was checking it out a couple days ago I noticed that the pin box is out of level from side to side about a quarter of an inch. It seems that PI didn't drill the holes in the mounting brackets in the same place side to side. Even though my hitch has front to rear and side to side movement, does anyone think that this is a problem? I had thought about pulling the pin box and grinding out the holes a little to level it up but I'm worried about the oversized holes working the bolts under stress.

2008 Excel R26TRW
Old 03-12-2008, 04:19 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
I'd call the dealer and PI. They should take care of you.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:17 PM   #4

I agree, if my unit was new and under warranty, I would present the question to the dealer and PI before making changes to the pin box.

I noticed in a prior post you stated that the dealer adjusted the suspension height and the pin by one hole to get the truck and unit heights correct. I would start with the dealer first.

As a matter of information, what method was used to determine it was out of level.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:05 AM   #5

Given the choice of elongating the holes or living with the 1/4" difference, I would live with it, especially with a hitch like yours (or mine). It would be nearly impossible to keep the box from working and wearing the bolts with the holes not being snug against the bolts. The hitch will make up for the out of kilter pinbox.

Texan by choice. (even before Escapees)....... Not by chance.
P3 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:34 AM   #6
JLS

Excel Owners Club
I used the the eyeball method and the tape measure method. At first glance it was easy to see by lining up the top of the pin box with the bottom of the trailer. I then measured the distance from the bottom of the trailer to the center of the holes on each side. There was a difference of between three sixteenths and one quarter from one side to the other. By the way, the holes were cut with a torch rather than being drilled. I don't know if this is typical or not. I will start with the dealer first.

2008 Excel R26TRW
Old 03-13-2008, 08:07 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
In my opinion I would say that there could be a few factors that would make a difference. The way the cap is installed on the front could make the front measurement be off a little bit. The holes are touched and not drilled, I do know that is fact.
I would also bet that the frame is as square as square can be. With jigs that the steel goes into, allows for a perfect fit. If you have every taken a plant tour and spent some time in the frame section you will see that. In the number of units that we put on the road over the past 15 years for Excel, we have never had a frame issue. Some of the level also can come into play on when and how you unhook from your TV and the levelness of the ground. If one jack is off a little bit this can place a flex to the front, making it look as it is off. With what you are thinking in a 1/4" off, I wouldn't to worried about it. (1/4" off beats the old saying that "RV have a 6" tolerance of being off", old joke from years gone by). You want to speak with you dealership and possibly the factory, but from what I hear here, and not seeing first hand, I would say that you really don't have a issue to worry about. IMO.
wrongway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:16 PM   #8

Would have to agree with several others, with having a 'hitch' plate that pivots, a 3/16 to 1/4 " off level wouldn't be a major concern to me if it wasn't something simple to correct.

Not being able to see/inspect the 'pin box' and how its mounted, can't give you the advice not to do anything with it. Just have to do what makes one comfortable.