Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2016, 08:51 PM   #1

Plugging Toilet Drain

About few weeks after buying our used Excel we experienced a plugged toilet. With the use of a borescope we discovered the previous owner had skillfully accumulated a 12 inch thick plug of mostly tampons. Using the borescope, a manual snake, a hose down the toilet, the black tank flushing system and lots and lots of water I was satisfied the plug was gone and flushed from the tank and the tank was clean. What a chore. Fast forward a week and we had another plug. We are very skimpy on the toilet paper and use a fair amount of water so I was surprised we had a plug. It cleared easily enough with the snake but prompted us to use even more water per flush. A week later the toilet was used and I heard intermittant gurgling from the pipe in the pass-through compartment so I went topside to check the toilet. Sure enough, water was sitting within view below the toilet. Just as I was considering the snake the plug let loose and the standing water headed to the black tank.

The piping leaves the toilet and makes a 45 degree turn, travels about 2 feet and makes another 45 degree turn into the tank. I think the plugs are developing at or just below the second 45. Is this design prone to issues or do I have something else going on? This has prompted the Mrs into thinking we maybe we should consider trading. I'd prefer to figure out what the problem is. I had even considered replacing the two 45's for a pair of sweeping 45's to help with flow.

The gurgling in the drain to the tank made me wonder if we might have a plugged vent.

Anyone have any constructive input before I start looking at Mobile Suites?
Live 2 Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2016, 11:02 PM   #2

I had an Alpenlite 5er then a Bounder. Both had the 45 degree bends and both had issues with toilet paper. Once we quit flushing the paper everything worked fine.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:22 PM   #3

Have a 2007 NUWA 5vr that has two 45* elbows in toilet line to black tank

We FTd for 7 yrs so toilet got used a LOT
I use soft fluffy TP and a hand full of it
NEVER had one issue with toilet line or black tank drain plugging

It's a 3" line to and from tank so it should take a 'BIG WAD' to clog.

Sounds like there is excessive glue drips on that last 45* that TP hangs up on and then builds into a clog.
Your 'camera' should have been able to pick up on that.

Also...vent line
IF it sticks to far into tank it can get blocked off as level rises.
When under water.......air can not escape thru vent so flushing is slowed down as air has to come up toilet line as 'STUFF' goes down toilet line
That can allow stuff to just plop into tankright at toilet line vs flowing down farther into tank
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:47 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
X2 on what OB says! He's very sharp on these things in my opinion. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:39 AM   #5

I'll have to get the scope again to take another peek.

If there is anything catching tissue I have no idea how to remove it other than replacing all the piping and if I do that I might as well modify it somehow to flow smoother.

As for the vent, I have a hunch the Mrs may choose to trade before we start dropping tanks. With all the plumbing glued in place this may be a real chore.

EDIT: Sorry for the delay in responding, we are outta state (with the 5er) and haven't been online much.
Live 2 Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:46 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
As full-timers who boondock a lot we got used to NOT putting toilet paper down the toilet a long time ago. Not only does it solve plugging problems but it also increases the capacity. We use one of those small foot-lever silver trashcans you get at Walmart with a Walmart bag inside and empty it when full, which is every 3 days or so. We have been doing this for a long time and have never had an odor problem (wife has a nose like a bear).

I would also fill my tank about 90% full with fresh water and drive it around the neighborhood for about 15 minutes making sure to do a lot of turning then dump and observe what comes out with one of those clear viewing attachments. Then proceed as above.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:19 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Live, I think you are getting too excited about this ordeal. Even if you find a throat pipe issue, you can simply cut the 3" pipe just above the tank flange (maybe 4-5") and then when you install fresh pipes. Probably would have to R&R the toilet to the install a new base mount. You'd use a rubber coupler with clamps to connect the pipes together.

Addressing the vent issue......just use a garden hose and remove the vent cap on the roof and run water down the vent to remove the blockage. Make sure you have room in the tank to accept more water from the garden hose.

So I really don't see any need to talk tanks at this point. I know you're frustrated, but take time to be rational on your thoughts about this frustrating BS.

My thoughts, I have a hard time thinking that you have a excessive glue build up on the inside of the 3" ABS at this point on an older unit. I would think there would be issues from the get-go......but then again......who'd think someone would dumb enough to put pads or Tampons down the toilet.......oh for gosh sakes! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 07-06-2016, 07:36 PM   #8

As you has access to a scope...I would wait and take a look down from the toilet. In my case, with no scope...to look at that area I would be forced to cut the pipe above the last 45, also have two 45's in the system, pull the toilet and inspect the pipe and opening into the tank. Then use a rubber coupler to make the repair. My last 45 is attached to the tank connection and have no way of removing it without the tank. Not much wiggle room in my pipe/connections.

As far as the excess glue on the pipe/45, I don't think that would be much of a problem. I just completed re-piping my backyard drainage, all 2" and tried loading excess glue on several connections and it just flowed out with slight bumps and no sharp surfaces. The problem with 3" with 45 degrees and tight spaces is getting the assembly aligned correctly and glued up quickly before it sets up, which can be pretty quick at times. If it is in the pipe/fitting and I had to take a guess, it might be where the pipe and 45 are joined. Maybe the pipe is short or it wasn't seated all the way into the fitting leaving a slight space?

As far as the vent....it is my understand that the vent pipe does not enter the tank, it is attached to the tank via a coupling. I would assume a poor vent would effect the draining/empting of the tank and have little effect of the flow into the toilet as the flapper is open at the time of flush and the amount entering is small. A sink or shower should show different results and have a slower drain. Doesn't hurt to check the vent to just rule it out.

Good luck, know it can get frustrating..

workhorse
Old 07-12-2016, 06:31 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
L2C, how about an update please? rockin'
Old 07-13-2016, 05:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
L2C, how about an update please? rockin'
Life has been crazy. Sold our large home, purchased a tiny box that we're trying to make livable before winter and full-timing with full-time jobs. We have to change campgrounds every two weeks and without full hookups we dump and flush then return to our site every week (I know we can haul our waste and top off fresh water without moving the trailer but with the recent issue I like to flush often). Then, with all the local campers, the dump station is crazy on the weekends so that doesn't leave me with much opportunity to do much troubleshooting like running a hose down the vent.

I won't even go into the engine troubles on our sailboat that I'm trying to repair before the season is over.

I'm not looking for sympathy, just letting everyone know I haven't had a lot of time to troubleshoot. I can say, however, that we are using about 3-4 inches of water with every flush and so far no issues. We have always thought conserving water was priority one but when the plumbing doesn't drop straight into the tank then maybe that's not the best idea. I still plan to check the vent but for now we will continue using plenty of water and flushing every week until we aren't living in it and I have time to breath.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:31 AM   #11

Soooooooo... why haven't you been able to troubleshoot?

Understand completely....

Tags
toilet