Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #1
JDT

Popping and Cracking Noises

We are at stop number 7 on our 4k trip with 2 to go. We have the auto level system which has worked flawlessly. At first there is no noise but after a couple of days the rear frame area starts popping and cracking when we move around. The noise only comes from the rear. This happens on all surfaces as we have been on dirt, gravel and concrete. I have used blocks on the more unlevel sites but it doesn't seem to make any difference. My dealer checked the jacks for leak down last year and found none. Anyone else experienced this?
JDT is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Jim, I too have a '13 Excel Winslow with Autolevel.

I have not had symptoms like you describe.

If you find the cause, please keep us posted.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:22 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Sounds like some if the same gremlin noises we have in our Didymop (2012 36RKM). We put heavy duty scissor jacks on the frame in rear to quiet those noise making gremlins. It works.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Here's what the owners manual page 12 says: " If your Excel 5th wheel is equipped with with hydraulic front and/or rear jacks, it is not uncommon for a minimal amount of settling to occur while the coach is parked. This settling typically occurs on the left side since the left side usually weighs considerably more than the right side. Settling of up to 1/4" per day should be considered normal."
Mine does this also.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not the same kind of unit but the problem was the same. I had resounding "boing" noise any time we went up or down our steps so:

I got under while some one went in and out.

After hearing and tracing I found a metal panel was being flexed enough to create the noise.

Secured the panel and rid myself of the noise.

Maybe there is something in this situation that can help. I suggest getting under while someone walks around inside and listen and look carefully.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote