Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
JDT

Propane Leak Detector

Back again with another question. Last night the propane leak detector, which is located at the bottom of the stairs, went off. I looked in the instruction book and it showed it to be a valid warning but neither the wife or I could not smell anything. Finally got it to quit by blowing on the sensor. Just to be on the safe side I went outside and turned off both bottles.

I opened them again this morning and so far nothing. I'm wondering if the detector can give a false warning.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
They are sensitive to aerosols other than propane.

My previous trailer would go off by hand sanitizer on a rag in the adjacent storage compartment.

Were you spraying or cleaning anything before it went off?

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #3

Our propane detector started giving false warnings when it was 2 years old. We tried vacuuming out the sensor area, blowing compressed air into the area, ect with no success. It was going off when the propane was off at the tank hours before. We finally ended up replacing it.

The detector has a 5 year life. Be careful if you buy a new one since I found some that were over 3 years old already in the packaging at Camping World.
linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by linnemj View Post

The detector has a 5 year life. Be careful if you buy a new one since I found some that were over 3 years old already in the packaging at Camping World.
I agree, but Jim's trailer is less than 2 years old.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
JDT

It went off about 10:30 last night. I was on the couch watching tv and the wife was in bed so I can't think of anything that we would have done to set it off. We did travel about 550 miles yesterday from Yellowstone to Estes Park, Co (Rocky Mountain NP). There were some pretty rough roads in Wyoming with one 6 or 7 mile stretch of rough, dirty and dusty construction area on US 287. We got here about 5:30 so we had been set up for a while. Not sure that would have any affect though. Too tired to cook so we didn't light the stove.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by linnemj View Post
Our propane detector started giving false warnings when it was 2 years old. We tried vacuuming out the sensor area, blowing compressed air into the area, ect with no success. It was going off when the propane was off at the tank hours before. We finally ended up replacing it.

X2.......And the same goes for smoke/carbon mono sensors. I bought one at a local hardware store in a small town in CA and got it to our summer destination and noticed it was 3 years old in the packaging. I called the store....they said called the manufacturer....they said it's the retail store's responsibility to rotate stock. They did say for me to document all the details and save. They said with that they'd stand behind the expected life of the product as warranty. Just "buyer beware and check those dates"!!!! rockin'

PS.....Doc......I've had aerosol products set the propane detector. Sometimes when huffing paint....some leaks out of the paper bag and sets the alarm off.....really ticks off MaMa!!!! Just kiddin'! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a friend die of CO2 poisoning.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/car...CTION=symptoms

I'd for sure get to the bottom of this and find out what is going on.

Don't ignore it.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:12 PM   #8
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post

Carbon monoxide poisoning: Symptoms - MayoClinic.com

Don't ignore it.
The CO2 detector did not go off, just the propane leak detector. Not sure of the hazards of breathing propane but I would think the smell, which I know is added, would be enough to make me want to vacate. The danger is an explosion as propane settles in low areas which is why the detector is mounted low to the floor. I don't know if the detector would go off before it was enough to smell or not so I did check the furnace and water heater connections today and could not detect any leaks. The only other gas appliance (we have a residential fridge) is our cook top and I will check it tomorrow.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/car...CTION=symptoms

Don't ignore it.
CO= carbon monoxide
CO2= carbon dioxide which we breathe all the time
Something else that will set off the propane detector is methane😷. Blame it on the dog😆
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
It went off about 10:30 last night. I was on the couch watching tv and the wife was in bed so I can't think of anything that we would have done to set it off. We did travel about 550 miles yesterday from Yellowstone to Estes Park, Co (Rocky Mountain NP). There were some pretty rough roads in Wyoming with one 6 or 7 mile stretch of rough, dirty and dusty construction area on US 287. We got here about 5:30 so we had been set up for a while. Not sure that would have any affect though. Too tired to cook so we didn't light the stove.
That'll do it. Saw it happen to a friend at Glamis one dusty weekend.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Jim,
Mine failed in the first year. It kept going off.....checked all connections for propane and couldn't find any leak. Replaced it with a new one and haven't had any problems or false alarms since. If the replacement goes off I'd be concerned.
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Just FYI.....I'm found on my first Excel that the propane detector sounded off and not shut off. Removing the B+ for a few seconds and reconnect (reboot) and it never went off again. Musta had a spike hit it or something. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, propane