Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2008, 08:14 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Just got this email from fellow camper and thought it was important enough to get the word out among all our camping friends...

Hello everyone,
For those of you who like to grill it up during the summer, here's a safety announcement you should be aware of... Please put this information out to ALL personnel. This message was sent to me and I thought it should be shared. I personally do not exchange my propane tank. For those of you that do, this is something you definitely need to be aware of, especially in light of the recent news of "Meth-labs" in our area.

The following came from an email sent to me:

"There was a meth training/workshop yesterday and there was a lot of great new information presented. I wanted to let you all know about one thing that I was not aware of.

Meth cooks are getting the propane tanks from the exchanges at Wal-Mart, Kroger, etc. and emptying them of the propane. Then, they are filling them with anhydrous ammonia (which they now have a recipe for by the way). After they are finished with them, they return them to the store. They are then rfilled with propane and sent back for you and me to buy. Anhydrous ammonia is very corrosive and weakens the structure of the tank. It can be very dangerous when mixed with propane and hooked up to our grills, etc.

According to our presenter, you should inspect the propane tank for any blue or greenish residue around the valve areas. If it is present, refuse to purchase that one."

I researched the information, and you should check out the following website for more details. They also have pictures you can show.

http://www.npga.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=529

Be careful out there!
M&S Norrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2008, 08:25 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Anhydrous ammonia is routinely stored in carbon steel contaoners and by itself is not really corrosive. It will however attack any copper bearing materils such as the brass valves. The problem comes from the intorduction of a small amount of moisture and it becomes corrive.

The ammonia will make short work of the brass valves. I dout if the crack labs are making ammonia from scratch. It can be made from natural gas and it does occur naturally in nature.

I am surprised that one of these over-achieving idiots has not kill him(her)self trying to store ammonai in the bottles with brass valves.

As a point of interest, ammonia will readily burn in the presence of a flame. Take the flame or ignition source away and it will not burn.

I think the articel overstates some of the points as well as presents some untruths. I've worked with ammonia for almost 40 years now.

Since this can be more than just an Excel issue, I will link this to the General discussion forum.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:46 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
SNOPES lists this as "undetermined" as far as tanks being returned.

Snopes points out, why would a criminal return a tank and draw attention to their self, and they have no reason to return a tank to get more propane anyway.

Also the propane refilling company does not refill questionable tanks.

It sounds like our chances of coming into contact with one of these tanks is remote.

The pictures on the NPGA web site make it easy to tell if a tank has been misused.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:21 PM   #4

I'd beleive Ken much faster than your "presenter". A college prof once told me that an expert is someone over 200 miles from home.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:24 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
My impression of the NPGA warning is that it is directed at the Industry, not we consumers. As a consumer, I would expect the company refilling the tank to see this corrosion and pull the tank form service. I would question any exchange company's credibility were I to see a refilled tank with a valve so obviously corroded as the one in the NPGA's website. That said, I _do_ appreciate the heads up! Randy
Texas Boomers, FMCA #366366 SKP #91936
'03 Holiday Rambler Scepter 40PWD
RandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally posted by Route 66:
SNOPES lists this as "undetermined" as far as tanks being returned.

Snopes points out, why would a criminal return a tank and draw attention to their self, and they have no reason to return a tank to get more propane anyway.

Also the propane refilling company does not refill questionable tanks.

It sounds like our chances of coming into contact with one of these tanks is remote.

The pictures on the NPGA web site make it easy to tell if a tank has been misused.
Dirk has it right....a hoax email!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:41 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
Dirk has it right....a hoax email!
I hate to tell you, but this is NOT a hoax. As a 27 year veteran of a metropolitan police agency, and I can tell you that this is a legitimate warning, despite what Snopes may say. We recently received a similar warning via law enforcement channels.

The applies to propane tank exchange racks like you see at Lowe's and other retail chains. The likelihood of you coming a cross one is very low, but nonetheless, do not use any propane tank with any blue or pink stains.

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:14 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
There is danger to the brass valve on the tank being damaged due to the corrosive action from the ammonia. It is readily apparent when the valve has been exposed to ammonia.

It is amazing the extent these dope heads will go to to make the illegal drugs. The larger refrigerated food plants mostly use ammonia as a refrigerant and usually have the vessels indoors, but a few have the storage tanks out doors. The plants have had to step up security to prevent theft of what can be a highly dangerous chemical when in the hands of someone that does not understand the dangers of the chemical. You do not just pour off a bucket and take off.

It is a real warning for the dangers of the valve, but that is about all. Some of the other items in the article are not very factual.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:22 AM   #9
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
"Critical" information passed by email is ALWAYS suspect, and usually false, misleading, or exaggerated.

True critical info is in the news, or in press releases by businesses/industry or government agencies/authorities.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:57 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Ken and Dirk -- folks tend to get into the "sky is falling in" syndrome over mis- and/or inflated information.

John
Old 05-17-2008, 03:02 AM   #11

Regardless of the factualness of this report one should always doubly scrutinize any cylinder gotten through an exchange program especially when not directly through a gas dealer - propane, acetalane etc. If it is not in like new condition then don't accept it.

Brass or copper when exposed to anhydrous ammonia looses its shiney patina and takes on a clean but flat appearance (rotten to my eye). I have been on manny a roof where the 5 ton anhydrous units have had a leak and did major damage to the lightening protection systems. Tons of embrittled braided copper cable some eaten away clean through by the amonia.

Personally I am not a big fan of the exchanges and would rather be in control of my tanks.

If you exchange and don't trust your ability to detect a bad tank then find a reputable dealer and ask him how he culls out tanks that have been subjected to this type of abuse. If he gives you a satisfactory answer stick with him otherwise move on.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:16 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
My propane dealer is also the local welding and industrial gas dealer. I started going to him because his pricing was fair.

Some gas stations rip folks off with little signs that read "$18.00 minimum," even if you only top off $3.00 dollars worth.

I have never used an exchange service. But in view of some of the tank safety issues being discussed here, I am glad that my tanks are being handled by these gas pros who are more likely to spot tank problems.

Quote:
Originally posted by NeilV:
Regardless of the factualness of this report one should always doubly scrutinize any cylinder gotten through an exchange program especially when not directly through a gas dealer - propane, acetalane etc. If it is not in like new condition then don't accept it.

Brass or copper when exposed to anhydrous ammonia looses its shiney patina and takes on a clean but flat appearance (rotten to my eye). I have been on manny a roof where the 5 ton anhydrous units have had a leak and did major damage to the lightening protection systems. Tons of embrittled braided copper cable some eaten away clean through by the amonia.

Personally I am not a big fan of the exchanges and would rather be in control of my tanks.

If you exchange and don't trust your ability to detect a bad tank then find a reputable dealer and ask him how he culls out tanks that have been subjected to this type of abuse. If he gives you a satisfactory answer stick with him otherwise move on.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:50 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by ChiefJohn:
Thanks Ken and Dirk -- folks tend to get into the "sky is falling in" syndrome over mis- and/or inflated information.
Interesting.....a well wishing member sends out a warning about exchanged propane tanks, hoping to help his fellow forum members. Another member with direct knowledge due to his profession confirms the existence of the warning. Despite this, someone totally discounts both warnings, labeling it as hype, and he gets a pat on the back.

I'm sorry, I don't get it...

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 09:07 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would suspect that any reputable bulk re-filling site has heard of this and already has issued new practices for testing, if they did not already exist. This is probably much ado about nothing.
Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote