Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Raising the coach/ moving springs to the top of the axle

Ok. how many of you have raised the travel height of your Excel by moving the spring set to the top of the axles? I ride nose high and have no more pin box or hitch addustmenst left. If you have done this, are you happy with it, how does it look appearence wise and does it pull ok? What was the overall height gain?

Its been ok, but when I retire in August (3rd and last time) we are hittng the road and really want a level tow.

Byran, Jack or Ralph, any comments or sugestions?
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #2

The word coach in the subject line threw me and possibly more than a few other off.
I've had to raise 2 older 5ers, for clearance , on both the spindles were straight off the end of the axle and I could determine the amount of raise with a tape measure. Measure the center line of the axle to the bottom of the spring perch, add that measurement to the bottom of the spring. The center line of the axle was above the thickness of the spring and after it is below. center line to center line is your amount of raise.
You will be turning the axle over ( flipping) to get the perch back on the spring centering bolts, so you have to rotate the backing plates over to get the electric brakes back rightside up , and always use new U bolts and nuts , retorque after 50 miles again in 200.
You may have to put on longer/shorter, shocks depending on the mounting, do not leave them off!
I was happy with the handling on both 5ths but they were both under 10k weight.
If the raise will be more than what you need , there are kits available , with longer hangers and center pivots for 2&3" raises. Some do require welding.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:14 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
ok, raising the 5er.. i know the process to move the spring saddle on the top side of the axle. I was looking for feedback from Excel owners who have done this or had their rig built in this configuration. Thanks for the bounce back
Old 05-03-2013, 11:54 PM   #4

RV Sales changed mine many years ago. I was getting tired of punching holes in the front of the rig by the tool box and smashing the bed rails. I have about a 6 inch clearance now and a level ride. Added air bags when the truck springs started to weaken. If there is a downside, I haven't had any shock absorbers since then and nobody has figured out how to fabricate mounts to install a set of shocks. Although I haven't noticed any negative effects of running without shocks.
Full Time Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:53 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
This may not help, but I raised my Alfa in this manner and the Alfa springs are the same as the Excel. Putting the springs on top raised the rig about 5 1/2" which I didn't like at all. I was 13'2" going down the road and that is too high as far as I am concerned. I had to raise the 05 Alfa to fit under a new truck. Dexter makes a kit for it. The ride didn't change.
If my problem had been a little nose high and I had had 6" or so clearance I wouldn't have changed it.
My new Excel has the springs on top and is 12'10" high at the front a/c which is fine with me and I am still a little nose high.
I am not trying to take business away from Gene, but it is my opinion.

PS- How nose high are you?
Old 05-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Tex, I am about 3.5 -4 inches nose high with plenty of bed rail space. Gene can also build me custon stronger reinforced hangers and just go up a few inches but thats why more $$$. Gene says the axle change will give me 4.5 - 6" raise at the axle that he says will be about right.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Ok. how many of you have raised the travel height of your Excel by moving the spring set to the top of the axles? I ride nose high and have no more pin box or hitch addustmenst left. If you have done this, are you happy with it, how does it look appearence wise and does it pull ok? What was the overall height gain?

Its been ok, but when I retire in August (3rd and last time) we are hittng the road and really want a level tow.

Byran, Jack or Ralph, any comments or sugestions?
I flipped my axles for the same issue. It tows beautifully now. The overall gain was a little over 4". I replaced the springs at the same time and the appearance improved as the springs settled. The shock mounts still work but just barely.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:02 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Tex, I am about 3.5 -4 inches nose high with plenty of bed rail space. Gene can also build me custon stronger reinforced hangers and just go up a few inches but thats why more $$$. Gene says the axle change will give me 4.5 - 6" raise at the axle that he says will be about right.
You can flip the axles and then you should be able to adjust it down. I think the cost of the frame shop and kit from Dexter on my old rig was less than $500. How tall are you now?
I suspect I am 3 or 4 inches nose high and have heard no arguments that I buy that it is bad. I like about 8" clearance since we boondock camp a lot. I have about 6K on each axle.
Has Gene advised you that you need to do it? If so what was his reasoning.

The only reason I did it on my old rig was to get the new truck under it.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Talked to Dexter and Ralph at PI today. DExter does not have a kit for 7k axles and a saddle would need to be built, which Gene said he would do. Ralph said that if I didnt want to move the spring set up, I could get a taller equalizer and get a few inches (Dexter confirmed that) and I could pull the spacers from under my Dodge spring set and get 1.75 inched there. But I like the idea of having Genes move the springs then I could lower the trailer to a higher shackle hole. I hadn't thought of that! Thanks Tex!
Old 05-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Talked to Dexter and Ralph at PI today. DExter does not have a kit for 7k axles and a saddle would need to be built, which Gene said he would do. Ralph said that if I didnt want to move the spring set up, I could get a taller equalizer and get a few inches (Dexter confirmed that) and I could pull the spacers from under my Dodge spring set and get 1.75 inched there. But I like the idea of having Genes move the springs then I could lower the trailer to a higher shackle hole. I hadn't thought of that! Thanks Tex!
I guess they ought to know, but I used this used:
Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - K71-385-00 Over/Under Conversion Kit
Old 05-06-2013, 07:05 PM   #11

Consider having the spring shackle mounts boxed. If you move to the bottom hole, you essentially have 2 straps holding your 5'er up. Boxing them adds side to side strength.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Here's mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1138.JPG
Views:	6180
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	38394   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1139.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	243.8 KB
ID:	38395  

Old 05-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
yea I asked Dexter about that kit. They clearly said not for 7k axles and above...Hmmmm. I think I will call again and see if I get the same answer.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
You will be turning the axle over ( flipping) to get the perch back on the spring centering bolts, so you have to rotate the backing plates over to get the electric brakes back rightside up ,
That's not good practice as the axles are bent/cambered. If you just flip them upside down you will now have a lot of negative camber on your wheels.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote