Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2011, 07:39 AM   #15

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowmo View Post
I was wondering about the weight of the rear kitchen. Is it more than a rear living room? Do they locate the axel in the same place?
I see no reason for any difference in weight from non rear kitchen models. The axle location is based off length more so than weight. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2011, 08:06 AM   #16

Excel Owners Club
As far as axle placement, every model is different. We base our axle location on pin weight. Our goal is to always have between 19% and 21% of the total weight of the coach on the pin. (With the exception of toyhaulers).

Our rule of thumb is that we gain or lose 30# of pin weight for each 1" we move the axle forward or backward. So we build the prototype based off experience (and sometimes an educated guess) and weigh the coach. Then for example, if the coach weighs 13,000# and our pin weight is 2,300# we will move the axles back 10" to increase the pin weight by 300# to give us our optimum 20%.

We try not to exceed #3,000 pin weight on any coach.

On our toyhaulers.... We try to hold the pin weight between 2,800# and 3,000#. Many people pull them with 1-ton duallys.

Now to answer the next question in advance.... adding weight in the garage of the Wild Cargo carries about a 3:1 differential.... i.e. if you put 1,000# in the garage you will reduce the pin weight by about 300#

Hope this clears up some questions.

Bryan
ExcelRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:21 AM   #17

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcelRVGuy View Post
As far as axle placement, every model is different. We base our axle location on pin weight. Our goal is to always have between 19% and 21% of the total weight of the coach on the pin. (With the exception of toyhaulers).

Our rule of thumb is that we gain or lose 30# of pin weight for each 1" we move the axle forward or backward. So we build the prototype based off experience (and sometimes an educated guess) and weigh the coach. Then for example, if the coach weighs 13,000# and our pin weight is 2,300# we will move the axles back 10" to increase the pin weight by 300# to give us our optimum 20%.

We try not to exceed #3,000 pin weight on any coach.

On our toyhaulers.... We try to hold the pin weight between 2,800# and 3,000#. Many people pull them with 1-ton duallys.

Now to answer the next question in advance.... adding weight in the garage of the Wild Cargo carries about a 3:1 differential.... i.e. if you put 1,000# in the garage you will reduce the pin weight by about 300#

Hope this clears up some questions.

Bryan
Thanks Bryan for the detailed info....there was a lot more things to consider than my rather weak answer. Learn something new everyday! Again thanks for being a part of our forum as you make a big difference here and keep us honest!!! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:52 AM   #18

Excel Owners Club
I agree with Bryan on how weight shifts. I have noticed that when I put four six volt batteries in the generator compartment last year the my pin weight went up by the way the Volvo squatted when I first hooked up. Now with the Wild Cargo pregnant I should see pin weight lighten up by 600 lbs. I did notice the air ride pin box was working more like the way I like to see it work when I went for a test drive last week.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:28 AM   #19

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfhtlh View Post
we previouly owned a 2004 fle which had the rear kitchen and door. no problems with the kitchen in the rear with dishes or cabinets. i was glad to see they swapped the doors (flr) as the 04 had the sewer line coming out under the entry steps. it was nice just bringing the groceries right into the kitchen. we had a second awning added on the rear door side and glad we did because we used that door most of the time. we owned the unit 4 years with the major problem being the slide motors. we had the L shaped sofa and removed the extension to make it a straight sofa. that allowed us to walk through the unit when slides were in.
Just a quick question as I have a 2007 35 flr and have considered removing the L in the sofa for the reason you mentioned and the fact that you don"t have to move the chairs. Did you just take out the corner part and then use the end in it's place? If so how difficult and what mods did you have to make if any. And yes to all that have questioned the rear kitchen and things bounceing around. It's really good for a rear kitchen.
cwo4mstumpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:58 AM   #20

i am doing this from memory. we removed the hideabed at the same time because we wanted more storage. yes, i just removed the corner section and moved the end section in its place. fastened down the end section and as i remember had to do some frame work to support the chusions because of hideabed removal. it seems to me when we joined the end with the existing section there was a small gap between the back chusions. we made a small insert from the corner section material to fill in. only noticed because we knew it was there.
rfhtlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:30 AM   #21

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmichael View Post
We recently looked at a rear kitchen model Excel LTD with the two doors. Liked it a lot but am curious to hear from others who own or have owned these. We looked at the 36 length. Heard issues with SOB's in particular regarding weight in the rear, roughness on the dishware etc when traveling.

I sent a PM to Rockin Tom--but didn't hear back. Maybe he doesn't do PM's--or at least with someone he doesn't know. I thought I remembered he owned one previously.

thanks for your thoughts
currently have a 2007 35 flr and have had NO problems with the rear kit and things bouncing around any more than normal. Most important is that the beer isn't shaken us so when you stop its drinkable. safe travels
cwo4mstumpf is offline   Reply With Quote