Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2011, 05:46 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Rear Stabilizer Jack

About 3 months ago we were parked next to Tim and Rosie in Atlanta when the curb side rear stabilizer jack would not come down. It would make the ratchet sound but not come down. 99 took off the motor and turned it down manually with a chisel and a crescent wrench. Well, when we got here to the Keys 2 months later, it failed again in the up position.

I took the motor off and tried to turn it down with the old chisel and crescent wrench. Then I used a larger crescent wrench. Then I called 99 over and said "watch this". He screamed STOP you're gonna break the wrench.

Seriously, we can't get it to turn down. Keep in mind we soaked it with WD-40 on the inside just 3 months ago but it is "frozen" shut and no amount of force will break it loose.

Two questions...any ideas on how to free it up (actually free it down) and secondly, can I buy just that part of the jack. The electric motor is working just fine?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2011, 07:04 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Virg, I can't help you but I never use WD-40 on anything that is exposed to dirt, road grim, etc. While WD-40 has it uses it also attracts dirt which will gum things up and give you problems like this. I use some type of silicon lube which doesn't attract the dirt.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:03 AM   #3

Haven't had a problem with mine so haven't had to figure it out.

Here is contact info to Barker Mfg. They are the parent company of H & H Engineering who made the jacks, a phone number on an old brochure is 616-965-2371. They might be able to sell you the 'shaft and foot assembly. Or whatever you are willing to break down and put together.

Without seeing it...my first thought is that it is bound. Meaning the retractable shaft is binding in it's housing. Believe it take less power/energy to retract than extend. I don't think that spraying WD-40 inside the housing will help as I think the problem is the 'skin' between the shaft and housing area.

Here are two photos. One shows the shaft and housing and the other the foot.

Shaft and housing. Inorder to guide and align the shaft/foot in it's travel...the grove on the shaft does that. It's only a thought that if the outrigger/shaft has been bent, even slightly, that it might be binding with the index that keeps it straight or in the housing itself? You can see that index on the right side of the photo, up on the housing.

If there is any moisture/slight rust that was present on the shaft, and over time transfers to the inside of the housing...might help glue it in place so to speak, and add to the resistance.

The arm that helps position and seat the foot and stows the outrigger 'might be' mis-ajusted and applies to much pressure on the shaft when stowing...helping to put pressure on the worm gearing.

All just a guess.

The foot. If with the motor removed and not able to move the shaft...might try placing something within the foot's opening and slightly rotate/move it back and forth side to side and front to back. This might help relieve some pressure on the shaft and housing if it is binding. You shouldn't have much movement or even notice much as just checked mine and it's pretty tight.

If you have help, try extending the outrigger while someone moves the foot.

workhorse
Old 12-01-2011, 08:05 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Virg I had that rear H&H jack do that about 5 times in it's life on our '05 model Excel. On a couple of occassions it was really tuff to break loose. I found that trying to tightening it first (extending the leg) and then loosing it would finally break it loose. I would bet PI would stock that jack as I believe they still install them on some of their models. Barker Mfg. in MI the manufacturer of the jack. rockin'

I found that the jacks seem to NOT have the issue you describe if you only run the jack up and shut it off with the switch right before it hits the stop (no racheting) I used silicone on mine to lubricate the screw and nut mechanism.

On edit....looks like work and I posted about the same time.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
THANKS! I'll use silicone going forward. I'll let y'all know if I break it cause I'm about to put about 227lbs of pressure on the crescent wrench. Nothing to lose.