Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2011, 09:10 PM   #1

remote monitor for power converter

my 2011 winslow has the progressive dynamics inteli-power 9260 converter. i see in the owners manual they offer a remote pendant to indicate the mode its operating in and for manual over-ride. otherwise you don't have a clue what the converter is doing since its supposed to be fully automatic. they say the oems don't usually install it unless you ask for it. sounds like a worthwhile addition. cheap too....$10. anyone else out there added one???........mjf.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2011, 09:41 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had an intelli-power converter in our previous MH, I intend to put one in my current MH, to get the 3 stage chargeing. I did not have the remote with that one, it was prior to that being an option. When I do order one, it will be with the remote. On that previous unit, I could access the controls fairly easy, but the remote would have been better. If you cannot see what your convertor is doing, and also control it, you will be happy to have spent the $10 for the remote after you use it for a while.
pkmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:45 AM   #3

pendant

I added the pendant on our 07 RSO and it does not do anything to control converter on mine only show it's status or current charge mode by the rate of blinking. I suppose for $10 it's not bad and easy to install

2007 Excel, 30RSO, Demco Glide Ride, B&W Companion.
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:12 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
I don't see the advantage. It's a monitor for an automated system:

The Converter Status Remote Pendant shows the charger/converter operating mode and allows for manual mode selection.
The Manual Switch allows the operator to check to see if the Charge Wizard is operating properly.

Can't see why you would want to override a computerized system, particularly when you rely on that system for the readings that would drive your decision.

Guess it's worth $10.

If you want a gizmo to monitor your batteries and charging, try this
TriMetric Battery System | Bogart Engineering

You get what you pay for.
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:37 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 9180 with charge wizard, Physically the monitor is identical to the wiz, internally it's different, very different, but they put it in the same case.

One of these days I'm going to bring the pendent up to where I can actually see it.

WHY? I mean as Jenna said it's fully automatic (Though you can override)

Well.. Because I"m a certified electronics technician and a licensed Ham Radio operator that makes me sort of like a cat (Curiosity killed the cat dno't you know)

I like to know what it's doing.. No other reason, I like to know.

Also, should he ever wish to force a mode..... The dongle has the button he pushes to do just that.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:53 PM   #6

yea.....i guess i just like to know too. the little blinky lite is fine with me. that comes from many years of first checking function indicators of plc controllers on multi-million $$$ industrial systems when problems arise. thats all they use. its easy to tell if your automated system is automating..... or not......mjf
Old 04-02-2011, 06:16 AM   #7

Our 2001 can with the 9160 series, after purchase we installed the Charge Wizard to upgrade the converter. Other than pushing the buttons to check its functions after the installation....I haven't done much with it, I just needed the Charge Wizard.

I can see the benefit of the override by placing it into the Boost mode if I wanted to place the converter into a faster charge mode if I only had a short time to bring the battery up to a higher level of charge quicker and bypass the 'brain' of the converter.

As I have two battery groups/banks...I installed a 12v outlet and a battery switch in the front compartment. I use them to select the battery bank and with the use of a plug in meter, I can check the voltages of either bank, the converter output and charge voltage of the TV...or just use it as a 12vdc outlet.

It is interesting to plug in the meter, select a different bank and then wait for the Wizard to determine it's mode. It's not instant, it will take a few minutes. If the battery voltage is around 12.5v, it will go into its Normal mode, 13.6v. As I leave the unit plugged in all the time while at home, I will switch batteries every couple of weeks to keep them charged. Been doing this since 2007 without a problem.

I don't see any down side to getting the pendant.

workhorse