Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #1

Replacing toilet seal

It appears it is time to replace our toilet seal. Rockin' will tell me I didn't follow his instructions on properly ca
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAMTJ View Post
It appears it is time to replace our toilet seal. Rockin' will tell me I didn't follow his instructions on properly ca
Tim,

Keep going so I can see what I'd say!!! Tim musta had his toilet overflowing or some such....and had to run....
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Bump. Is you out there Mr. Tim?
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 06-25-2013, 09:53 PM   #4

Oh man, didn't even realize my post was incomplete. Would love to provide a super cool reason like what Rockin' said but it was just a spotty Internet connection.

What is was saying that I didn't listen to Rockin' about lubricating my seal and now look what I'm dealing with....a lot of crap .

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1334100853.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	397.4 KB
ID:	41302

The ball doesn't like to retract all the way on occasion so water just drains down...what a PITA! I think replacing the seal and following Mr. Rockin's instructions on proper care is the route to go.

I'm sure the thread exists on how to replace the seal but I haven't had time to look for it. Darn new job keeps me freakin' busy! Anyone have the link?!
Old 06-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Tim, I've had great success keeping the toilet seal lubed on my current and previous RV's by pouring a bit of Dawn Blue Ultra dishwashing liquid (I'm sure any brand would do) in my toilet bowl every few days or whenever I dump the tank. Let it sit in the bowl for a while before flushing. In 12 years I've never needed to replace a toilet seal. Maybe I'm just lucky....

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:06 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Sorry to hear your woe....but like I told you off line.....applying a coat of plumber's silicone grease (Home store in plumbing section) to the waste ball will buy you some time until you get a fresh seal. Just coat the waste ball with it and work it open and closed several times. Reapply and it'll work for sometime. This also lubes so the waste ball itself doesn't get "galled and scratched" and require replacement, also.

I want my buddies Ms. Trace and Tator Tot to live in first class with a well functioning crapper!!! She is potty trained....right??....no I mean TT not Trace!!! I'm just that kinda guy!!! rockin'

I wished I was close to ya.....I'd do a seal job in about 45 minutes top to back and only charge you 3 hours labor and a "house call"!!! And maybe my tip would be a proper happy hour!!!
Old 06-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Doc, do you think the soap you are talking about has some lubricating properties to it??? Just wondering. Regarding the seal on the subject Thetford throne (auqa magic stylis). The actual sealing surface is a special light green Teflon coating adheared on the soft rubber seal body. Where the issue comes in...is when the seal get attacked by caustic cleaners and the sealing surface is damaged. The waste ball then rubs on the rubber after the coating is finally gone causing binding and in the beginning the seal not to close completely and hold water. The first thing most folks do is to pop the pedal and let it slam close. If not repaired it will get to binding so bad the wase ball galls and gets scratches. And finally, I've seen it get so binded up that the pedal cable breaks when the operators gets so pissed that they stomp on the pedal trying to get the valve to open!!!!

By temporary lubricating the wasteball/seal with silicone plumber's grease you are just allowing the waste ball to slide on the rubber seal (due to damaged coating) until you get the seal replaced.

I use Thetford seal conditioner (CW or RV parts store) as preventive maintenance about once every couple of weeks on mine. Makes the seal slick and slippery. Let set all day while on a day trip or the like. It will not permanently fix a damaged seal back to life! rockin'
Old 06-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Tom, like I said, I'm either lucky or the dishwasing liquid soap is acting as a lubricant.

I've never used any fancy RV toilet lubes other than the soap in 12+ years.

I had my last trailer for 10+ years.

No problems.

Just sayin'....

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 06-25-2013, 10:57 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
Tom, like I said, I'm either lucky or the dishwasing liquid soap is acting as a lubricant.

I've never used any fancy RV toilet lubes other than the soap in 12+ years.

I had my last trailer for 10+ years.

No problems.

Just sayin'....
The next question.....is what are you using to do the cleaning of your throne? One other thing to think about....some of your other toilets weren't the model you have now.......This model has'nt been out that many years...maybe 7 or 8. If the seal doesn't get attacked by harsh cleaners and you used the soap......your scott-free I guess.

PS......Doc....we need to get a life!!!
Old 06-25-2013, 11:06 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
The next question.....is what are you using to do the cleaning of your throne? ...
The only chemical I pour down my throne is Dawn Ultra Dishwashing liquid. I add about 8-10 oz after dumping the tanks. I clean the "marks" with a toilet brush. The porcelain is much easier to keep clean than the plastic thrones I've had in the past.

We use regular toilet paper, whatever the wife likes. Other than that only water and human "waste" goes down the toilet.

I dump the black tank when over 75% full. I'll tow with fluid in the black tank . I know, I know the straps won't hold on my trailer. I've added support and plan to add additional. I can't (won't) change my ways.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 06-26-2013, 07:39 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
The only chemical I pour down my throne is Dawn Ultra Dishwashing liquid. I add about 8-10 oz after dumping the tanks. I clean the "marks" with a toilet brush. The porcelain is much easier to keep clean than the plastic thrones I've had in the past.

We use regular toilet paper, whatever the wife likes. Other than that only water and human "waste" goes down the toilet.

I dump the black tank when over 75% full. I'll tow with fluid in the black tank . I know, I know the straps won't hold on my trailer. I've added support and plan to add additional. I can't (won't) change my ways.
You've made my point. No harsh cleaners, that's why you've never had a problem. I use the spray Scrubby Bubbles style of cleaner to clean my bowl. Get it at Dollar Tree for a buck. Works fine and doesn't hurt the seal.

Doc, I love the detail you give......no one that knows us would ever ask us "what time is it" in fear of our answer!!!!! rockin'
Old 07-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
So Tim.....how long do it take to be changin' a toilet seal?
Old 07-25-2013, 10:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
So Tim.....how long do it take to be changin' a toilet seal?
Just ordered the toilet seal today! Should be here in a few days. I'll have Traci hold the stopwatch while I do the repair.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:47 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAMTJ View Post
Just ordered the toilet seal today! Should be here in a few days. I'll have Traci hold the stopwatch while I do the repair.
No matter how long it takes you to do it.....bet Tator could do it in half the time!!!! rockin'